Fixing the Hawks: fire Woodson, trade Joe, keep Josh

Cobb

No but seriously Woodson has done some good things with this team, and the Hawks have improved every single season during Woodson's tenure.

2004-05 Atlanta 13 69 .159

2005-06 Atlanta 26 56 .317

2006-07 Atlanta 30 52 .366

2007-08 Atlanta 37 45 .451

2008-09 Atlanta 47 35 .573

2009-10 Atlanta 53 29 .646

The Hawks as a team didn't play with effort and that can't fall all on Woodson's shoulders. If anything Woodson deserves an extension imo. Good luck to the guy who takes over as coach for the Hawks because they have really high expectations.

Edited by Confidence

No but seriously Woodson has done some good things with this team, and the Hawks have improved every single season during Woodson's tenure.

2004-05 Atlanta 13 69 .159

2005-06 Atlanta 26 56 .317

2006-07 Atlanta 30 52 .366

2007-08 Atlanta 37 45 .451

2008-09 Atlanta 47 35 .573

2009-10 Atlanta 53 29 .646

The Hawks as a team didn't play with effort and that can't fall all on Woodson's shoulders. If anything Woodson deserves an extension imo. Good luck to the guy who takes over as coach for the Hawks because they have really high expectations.

You really think that Hawks' improvement is because of Mike Woodson? And if you're going to give Woodson credit for the ascent (instead of, maybe, the players?), then you definitely have to blame him for the playoff collapse. It can't be the coach's show when things are great and the player's failure when they're not.

You really think that Hawks' improvement is because of Mike Woodson? And if you're going to give Woodson credit for the ascent (instead of, maybe, the players?), then you definitely have to blame him for the playoff collapse. It can't be the coach's show when things are great and the player's failure when they're not.

So the Hawks advance and lose to probably the best team in the east and all that falls on Woodson. The Hawks played up to expectations, no one really expected them to advance to the ECF. That team isnt built to go any further.

lol i like mike woodson as the coach. it wasnt his fault joe went cold and the hawks played with 0% energy

After the comments Joe made after Game 3 it was apparent to me that he was leaving? I understand that part of it was out of frustration but you can't take it out on the fans.

As for Woodson, he lacks control of the team and he never did make a "Plan B" for our offense. Rick Sund and the ownership need to demand more from our next coach as far as our offensive schemes go.

Woody basically rolled the ball out on the court and let the players play. The 53 wins we have this season were on pure talent, not coaching. It isn't hard to stop a team that runs iso plays all game and the Magic knew that seeing the beat down they put on us.

Like I said back when the season first started, the Bobcats had the coaching, just not the talent. We have the talent but not the coaching.

So the Hawks advance and lose to probably the best team in the east and all that falls on Woodson. The Hawks played up to expectations, no one really expected them to advance to the ECF. That team isnt built to go any further.

We had the talent to win AT LEAST a game, possibly two but instead what happens? Swept, and the Magic outscored us by 100+ points.

I can see some players are just not responding to Woodson. He is not built to coach the prima-donnas like Josh Smith. See that highlight when he didn't bother to run back on defense?

Unfortunately for Woodson, today's NBA is full of prima-donnas like that.

That's what happened with GK in Denver. He publicly admitted he almost quit or thought he'd be fired by Nuggets, then Chauncey came and basically rescued his job. Chauncey is the guy who said to his teammates, "we can't %%*% up, we can't mess up, we have to focus..." every single game. That was GK's job and he no longer had to do it and can focus on the real coaching.

Woodson don't have that guy like Chauncey in Atlanta. So either he has to adjust or he's gonna lose control of the team bit by bit until they fully tune him out.

I like Woodson's tough guy personality... but it usually often wears out the prima donnas who want to be babied. Some players are just high maintenance to keep. I don't think Josh Smith is exactly the franchise superstar they should keep... eventually if he keeps it up, his value is gonna be outweighed by his attitude... like that goner J.R. Smith.

^Lol Mike Bibby is not a vocal leader...

He's slipped so much when Hawks play him on the court, they're mistaken to have only 4 players and 1 gatorade boy...

When you're not vocal and you're not exactly leading by examples, you can think about retiring.

GK had Nate McMillan when he was the Sonics coach, now he has Billups. Lakers have Kobe. Cavs have LeBron. Celtics have KG. The players who develop strong bond with the coach that are the coach extension... the guys who get in their teammates' faces when they don't play hard, they're not focused, not practice hard, etc... It helps for a coach to have an enforcer who makes the rest of the team feel like they'll be in trouble if they don't listen, especially when the coach can't relay it.

Imo GK is too soft, he's afraid of players' egos and runs away from it. He nearly did... and then Chauncey came and he can escape now because Chauncey takes over that "leadership" department. The best thing about Chauncey is he can be a good or bad cop by himself, depending on the teammates, so he covers a lot of work for GK. In Woodson's case though, he's playing the "tough guy" card too much... if he's the bad cop, he has to find an enforcer (whether it's his assistant/ player) who is the good cop by his side so players like Josh Smith don't hate his guts. But that enforcer is certainly not Mike Bibby. That guy also needs attention and is not a leader.

I say demote Bibby would probably be the best move out of them all along with getting tougher. Jeff Teague is one with potential to fill in his spot but in terms of a short-term solution starting Crawford or signing a veteran PG like Steve Blake might just do it.

i like mike bibby.

LEAVE MIKE BIBBY ALONE!

I like him too but it's obvious he's on the decline. Thing is, Woodson did NOTHING to develop Teague who is our only option aside behind Bibby. So when Teague actually begins playing heavy minutes he's not going to fair well with all the inexperience.

I actually dont see how Woodson is such a great coach. When I watch hawks games, they have so much talent but there is no ball movement. They need someone who can get them moving around and distributing the ball.

I swear I read somewhere that Mike Bibby was a great extension of the coach, and changed things a lot in practice ever since he got to Atlanta. A lot like Chauncey, I suppose. Maybe I'm wrong.

Interesting. I've never ran across anything of the sort but it's possible.

Interesting. I've never ran across anything of the sort but it's possible.

It would make sense, at least to me.

Atlanta's records for the past 10 years:

00-01: 25 - 57

01-02: 33 - 49

02-03: 35 - 47

03-04: 28 - 54

04-05: 13 - 69

05-06: 26 - 56

06-07: 30 - 52

07-08: 37 - 45

08-09: 47 - 35

09-10: 53 - 39

Bold are the years Bibby has been on the team, and also the only playoff years. Maybe it's a coincidence, idk. Al Horford was drafted that year as well, though Josh Smith has been on the team since 04-05, and Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams were there since 05-06. It wasn't like the rest of their team was garbage, since they had players (since 04-05) like Al Harington, Antoine Walker (when he averaged 20 points), Flip Murray, Josh Childress, and Zaza Pachulia started before getting Horford (averaging about 12 points and 8 boards).

Probably a little bit of both. He's the second oldest guy on the team but like someone else said in this thread he's not a vocal leader like you'd think he be.

Another thing to take into considering is the team meshing together.