If Kobe wins no. 5 this year, where would he rank all time?

In other words, nobody else has done what Kobe did, but so what? Put him in that category anyway.

Shaq was Superman, Kobe was Batman. Take one out and try to replace them, and you don't get the dynasty. There should've been enough proof of that when Shaq and the Lakers were losing in the playoffs before Kobe took over the triangle.

Again, it's the toughest thing in the world to ignore the facts. No "Robin" has even come remotely close to those numbers Kobe put up, and no "Robin" has ever had as many responsibilities as Bryant (the ones that you listed, plus him shooting more shots than O'Neal in two of those seasons).

All I'm saying is it was Shaq's team, making Kobe Robin. The best Robin there ever was, but he was still the 2nd best player on the team, 2nd most important and Shaq was undoubtedly the emotional leader of the team. A lot of Kobe's leadership qualities have come after they parted ways. I agree in some ways that Kobe should be given more credit than he usually gets for the three-peat, but that's because he never had a choice in playing 2nd fiddle and they did win 3 rings in a row. But don't confuse that with the facts still remaining that Kobe was not the better player in that time-frame or that he wasn't equally as important.

Edited by Nitro1118

Like I said on TLN, greatness is a combination of hardware (championships and other awards), individual accomplishments, and overall player ability.

Kobe is JUST OUTSIDE of the top five greatest players of all-time. Four rings and fewer MVP and Finals MVP awards set him outside of Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Kareem...and if I'm not taking into consideration the type of players, and number of teams, there were in Wilt's era, he's ahead of Bryant as well. If I do consider the lack of competition in that era, Kobe is #5 on the list.

As far as overall player abilities, Kobe ranks #1a, and Jordan is #1b. It's that close. Bryant has more ways to score the ball and a better post game, Jordan is a bit better on defense BUT it's really only because Kobe plays his own zone defense. When locked in, Bryant is as good as MJ on defense.

As of two seasons ago, I wouldn't have said Kobe is the better overall player...but things definitely changed. Bryant did exactly what Mike did when he lost his athleticism, and combining that with the things I mentioned in the previous paragraph (and Kobe's extra range on his shot), I can say Jordan is still the greatest player, but he's not the most skilled anymore.

100% the truth. +1 bro i agree with everything written there.

I can careless about Hardware, it's a popularity contest + stats + the players around you, so winning this year or not winning this year wouldn't change my opinion, he's already proven his clutch.

Best player / Greatness / whatever = most talent. Kobe Bryant would rank #1 because he is the most talented basketball player to ever play the game of basketball, that simple. Jordan is a close second.

Edited by Fish7718

I can careless about Hardware, it's a popularity contest + stats + the players around you, so winning this year or not winning this year wouldn't change my opinion, he's already proven his clutch.

Best player / Greatness / whatever = most talent. Kobe Bryant would rank #1 because he is the most talented basketball player to ever play the game of basketball, that simple. Jordan is a close second.

Talent doesn't equal best necessarily. T-Mac in his prime was as talented as anyone in NBA history offensively but he still isn't even a top 50-75 player in NBA history. Where Kobe lacks against MJ is efficiency, which is a big factor in the game (as well as Jordan was more consistent, except for the 3pt shot he had virtually the same skillset as Kobe, more athletic, stronger, better defender, IMO better playmaker, etc...).

Talent doesn't equal best necessarily. T-Mac in his prime was as talented as anyone in NBA history offensively but he still isn't even a top 50-75 player in NBA history. Where Kobe lacks against MJ is efficiency, which is a big factor in the game (as well as Jordan was more consistent, except for the 3pt shot he had virtually the same skillset as Kobe, more athletic, stronger, better defender, IMO better playmaker, etc...).

T-mac could have been in this discussion, injuries ruined his career...