Forward Bass agrees to four-year deal with Magic

The Goods

The Orlando Magic are trying to keep up in the arms race in the competitive Eastern Conference, agreeing to terms on Friday with free agent forward Brandon Bass on a four-year deal believed to be worth $18 million.

The 23-year-old Bass was one of the most coveted big men in this year's free agency class, having been a valuable role player off the bench for the Mavericks the past two seasons. He played in 81 games for Dallas last year, averaging 8.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in 19 minutes a night. The Mavericks tried to keep him, but Dallas' commitment to Magic free agent center Marcin Gortat to an offer sheet made money scarce. New Orleans, Bass's first team, and Cleveland also were working to sign him.

With Hedo Turkoglu gone to Toronto, there may be an opportunity for a starting job at power forward in Orlando for Bass, with the Magic moving Rashard Lewis back to his normal small forward position. But even if he doesn't start, Bass will provide toughness and size for an Orlando team that now has to contend with Shaquille O'Neal and re-signed forward Anderson Varejao in Cleveland and the return of Kevin Garnett and newly signed Rasheed Wallace in Boston.

The Cavaliers made a last-minute push on Bass, according to a source, but didn't have a way to get him the money he'll get in Orlando. Cleveland has come to terms with free agent guard Anthony Parker and will probably use its mid-level exception on him, leaving only the biannual and veteran minimums for other players.

Bass's contract has an out clause after three seasons.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/10/magic.bass/

Yeah, he's had his name out there a lot during this off-season.

Give shout outs to OTR. :)

Yeah dude thats awesome...

Swish, what you waiting for? Change your name to Alex "OTRBasketball" Kennedy... say that its what your dad calls you

Good signing for the Mavs. The thing that makes this a great fit for the Magic, at least in my opinion I admit I don't watch the Magic a lot, is his ability to stretch the floor due to his solid mid range jumper. The Magic's offense relies on spacing and, while Bass won't give them the same type of spacing that they had last season, he will still be able to help give Dwight space down low to go to work because he is a good mid range shooter.

I really think that Bass is kind of an unknown around most places because he didn't get much of an opportunity in Dallas, which is to be expected playing behind a superstar like Dirk Nowitzki, but I think that he can prove to be a very good role player for the Magic next season. His skill set fits the Magic's style of game very well.

The money isn't too bad either. Big men are generally overpaid, but if you consider the amount that guys like Chris Anderson (in the final years of his contract) and Anderson Varejao are making, this looks like a steal because Bass is just as good as both of those players.

Does anybody know if the Magic plan on having Bass as the starting 4 and moving Shard to the 3 or do they plan on bringing him off of the bench and have Shard play the 4, Carter at the 3 and Pietrus at the 2?

I don't see why the Magic wouldn't play Rashard at the 3 and put Bass at the 4, rather than keep Rashard at the 4 and have Bass be the sixth man....

I agree with this. I could see the Magic keeping Shard at the 4 if they signed a power forward that wasn't able to step outside of the paint, but having Bass on the floor will still enable the Magic to space the floor like they like because he is more than capable of hitting an 18 foot jumper. Obviously they won't have the same spacing at they had last season but it should be more than enough to enable Howard to go to work down low.

I would definitely rather start Bass and have a legit 4 on defense rather then start Shard at the 4 just for the extra space on the floor.