Chad Ford: Favors over Turner?

Guest Zyzz

Guest Zyzz
Analysis: "I've heard various sources make pretty forceful arguments that three different players are second on the 76ers' board: Evan Turner, DeMarcus Cousins and Derrick Favors. At times, I've been persuaded by all three. But now it looks like the Sixers are leaning toward Favors, according to what I was told on Monday by a credible source familiar with coach Doug Collins' thinking.

Turner isn't a great fit next to Andre Iguodala. And while Cousins is a perfect fit in the middle, the team has some concerns about his on-court attitude. That leaves Favors, who has as much upside as any player in the draft.

His measurements out of Chicago are virtually identical to Dwight Howard's -- which means he should be just fine playing center. All of this can change once players undergo individual workouts and interviews, but from what I can gather, Favors has the lead if the Sixers decide to keep the pick." -- Chad Ford

Link

• Owner

Turner has too much potential (Brandon Roy potential) to not be picked after Wall. Plus, you have to select a guy that can score AND play defense (some of the best defense on the college level).

Wall is the clear-cut choice for most GM's, I'm sure...but you can't ignore the many skills Turner can bring to an NBA team, especially things that the coaches won't even have to teach him.

^To me it's like choosing between Brandon Roy and Amare Stoudemire (the stud before the knee injury... remember the 38 ppg and 10 rpg he averaged vs Spurs in playoffs... not the current version).

Favors has an inside game, he shows he has the game to extend to mid range.

Can Favors be that Amare Stoudemire? Maybe not, but I see his ceiling is that high. That's why I think Nets are lucky to have that 3rd pick, because I think Sixers are gonna take Turner... and the Nets end up with a better talent in Favors. :)

Cousins shouldn't be in the top 3 discussion... it's between these players: Wall, Turner, and Favors. Cousins reminds me of Nene... great soft touch for a big man but just inconsistent... will he rebound the ball? Will he consistently box out? One night it's 20 and 10, and the next game when he's supposed to really deliver, he gives you 5 and 4... and 5 (fouls). And plain has no passion for the game.

Edited by Snake

Please elaborate.

I'm just not a huge fan of Turner's game and I think Favors can be a better Amare. The comparison on DraftExpress is pretty solid as pre-injury McDyess. To me, Turner doesn't strike me as being like Roy all that much because Roy's shot is infinitely better than Turners so since neither are explosive athletes, Turner will most likely need to improve that shot of his. He also turns the ball over quite often.

Favors has the higher ceiling and if you can deal Brand and insert Favors into that 4-spot right away he's got a chance to be special.

To me, Turner doesn't strike me as being like Roy all that much because Roy's shot is infinitely better than Turners so since neither are explosive athletes, Turner will most likely need to improve that shot of his. He also turns the ball over quite often.

The shaky jump shot is a valid point, but remember that Roy's jumper and his range was not that far off from Turner's when he was drafted. The turnovers are also a potential red flag, but high usage and playing out of position will result in turnovers in any level of basketball. The comparison is an evaluation of talent and the projection of peak... of course they're not going to be virtually identical players to begin with.

The shaky jump shot is a valid point, but remember that Roy's jumper and his range was not that far off from Turner's when he was drafted. The turnovers are also a potential red flag, but high usage and playing out of position will result in turnovers in any level of basketball. The comparison is an evaluation of talent and the projection of peak... of course they're not going to be virtually identical players to begin with.

Right.

I can almost guarantee Turner will have a better rookie year and possibly second year too. But eventually, I think its gonna be Favors and Wall who come out as the 2 studs in this class.

Also in regards to the turnover thing. Isn't Big Ten basketball usually quite organized as opposed to other offenses around the country? Because that's what it seems like to me. Either way I think we can both agree the turnover numbers need to go down regardless.