ABL's Mock Draft

AboveLegit

1. Washington Wizards- John Wall, PG, Kentucky

NBA Comparison: Derrick Rose

Wall this season was one of the few cases that a player has been better than advertised. He showcased the world class athleticism that everyone knew he had but, he was a better passer and defender than expected this season as well. He showed poise few players have at his age; he did a great job controlling the tempo and pace of the game and consistently made big plays in crunch time. It seemed to too many people that he was easily the best draft prospect in the NCAA and the #1 pick.

2. Philadelphia Sixers- Evan Turner, SG, Ohio State

NBA Comparison: Brandon Roy/John Salmons

Standing a tall 6-7 with a nice wingspan, the junior weighs in at a decent 205lbs. He’s stayed 3 years (this year was his junior season) despite rumors that he would have been a lottery pick this year. In the many interviews I’ve seen him do, he’s never once seemed overconfident, cocky, arrogant, self-centered or any of the other nasty traits that seem to inhabit the NBA’s highly paid elite. His on-court play reflects this, with an unselfish and leadership mentality that few players truly master.

But I think this is one of his most important aspects; he plays within himself. He doesn’t force the issue like so many younger guys that are seen today. He doesn’t sit around shooting 3s all game when he can get anywhere he wants with his advanced ball handling and physical tools. He doesn’t take a contested lay-up when his big man is rolling to the hole or a shooter is wide open on the wing.

He’s even proved himself on the defensive end, a place where so many young athletes fear to tread nowadays. Always ready for the tough match ups, Turner is not the type to back down and his physical tools and physical nature make him an imposing player to be defended by. With his combination of speed, strength and length he can easily smother any player and this looks to translate very well to the pro game.

The consensus second best player in the draft (both talent wise, and the impact he will have on a team), this seems almost too good to be true if you’re Philly. Around midseason there was a growing contingent of people who considered Turner the guy in this draft. He was putting up insane numbers and seemed to have no ill effects of a back injury he had early in the season. He led the big 10 in points, rebounds and was second in assists. He showed the ability to be able to possibly play 3 positions in the NBA.

3. New Jersey Nets- Derrick Favors, PF, Georgia Tech

NBA Comparison: Al Horford/Antonio McDyess

I'd take Favors because we know he'll be a better defender and the offense could be close. While Cousins has more potential on that end, it has been mentioned that he's inconsistent. He seems like it's only a matter of time before he has conditioning issues and we all know he'll always be a tool, because very rarely do players with attitude problems ever become sensible. As much as Cousins' many talents impress me, even if the conditioning and attitude conditions aren't there, Favors could very well end up being better do to the defensive differences and the fact that Favors understands and accepts his limitations better. It's hard to pick against him right now.

4. Minnesota Timberwolves- Demarcus Cousins, C, Kentucky

NBA Comparison: Eddy Curry

The last thing this team should do is trade Kevin Love. This guy is a great player, and can be one of the best forwards in the league in a few years. Hustle, rebounding, blocking, scoring, what more can you want from a PF/C? This would be an epic screw up if Kahn traded him. Even with Love and Jefferson they should still draft Cousins at 4th. It would be a very nice front court rotation for a team in the process of rebuilding. Who would come off the bench, I don't know.

Keep this pick and get the truth from Rubio if he really intends to play for them. If he isn’t dedicated, move him instead of the pick.

5. Sacramento Kings- Greg Monroe, PF/C, Georgetown

NBA Comparison: Brad Miller/Chris Webber

I could easily see him being a prime Brad Miller. Let's remember that a prime Miller was good for about 15 points, 9 boards, and 4 assists per game. I can see Monroe being a better shot blocker though, but a Brad Miller comparison is actually pretty good, Miller was an all-star center twice, once in each conference and was close plenty of times. I think Monroe would fit in great with a team that has a non-traditional pg, where the offense runs through the post/high post every now and then.

6. Golden State Warriors- Wesley Johnson, SF, Syracuse

NBA Comparison: Shawn Marion

He's going to be a very good player on some very good teams with plenty of "most underrated player in the league" accolades thrown around, but I'm not sure he's ever going to be a consistent All-Star (and whoever drafts him is going to be very happy so long as they don't expect him to be the kind of player that carries a team).

7. Detroit Pistons- Cole Aldrich, C, Kansas

NBA Comparison: Kendrick Perkins

He is a defensive monster that doesn’t just swat shots, he eats them for dinner. He does not jump unless the shot goes up- just watch a few of his clips. He has also been under the wing of Danny Manning a great offensive threat both in college and his short stint in the pros. He also has a few offensive moves that have been shown in mere glimpses at school specifically a nice up and under, a drop hook, an ugly looking baseline shot(much like his free throw), as well as the big man desire to be close to the basket. Look for Aldrich to deliver first as a defensive force and then maybe a 2nd or 3rd option offensively, he is a blend of the Lopez twins, more polished defensively but with great offensive potential just not enough to dominate.

8. Los Angeles Clippers- Patrick Patterson, PF, Kentucky

NBA Comparison: Carl Landry

Patterson being arguably the best prospect here makes it tough to pass on him. He has a very solid post game, a great attitude towards improving his game, has a high basketball IQ, and can play the pick and roll very well due to his soft hands and touch around the basket. Pairing him up with Chris Kaman would be a great move by the Clippers.

9. Utah Jazz- Xavier Henry, SG, Kansas

NBA Comparison: Michael Redd/Martell Webster

Xavier Henry reminds me a little of Michael Redd, just bigger and a better athlete. Playing on Kansas actually hurt his stock because they had so many pieces there that he really didn’t need to show up every game for them to succeed. I think it’s only a matter of time before he really starts turning heads out there. The Jazz need to have that reliable backcourt partner to keep their franchise guy, Deron Williams happy.

10. Indiana Pacers- Ed Davis, PF, North Carolina

NBA Comparison: Al Horford

They need someone that can score on the box (Ed Davis) more than they need another energy forward (Patterson). Tyler Hansborough already does a lot of Patterson-type things. Indiana's biggest need as a PG but it's probably too early to take Eric Bledsoe (although I think he's going to be good), so Ed Davis should be the pick. Wait till next year where the draft class is dominated by good PG’s.

11. New Orleans Hornets- Al-Farouq Aminu, SF, Wake Forest

NBA Comparison: Josh Smith/Thaddeus Young

Let’s face it; Peja won’t be in the league for much longer. The Hornets need a Josh Smith type of player, someone who can run the court well, block shots, and get rebounds to ignite fast breaks (in a Chris Paul-ran offense, that’s key). Aminu is the perfect fit for them.

12. Memphis Grizzlies- Ekpe Udoh, PF, Baylor

NBA Comparison: Jason Thompson

He has good size and is a decent rebounder/scorer. With the situation surrounding Zach Randolph, this seems like the logical pick. Udoh averaged nearly 4blks per game and would add that presence which the team doesn’t have. Udoh is an amazing player, people are trying to play him down, but all will see once the season comes around he is a legit talent who is ready to contribute immediately. I would like Whiteside as well however, but they drafted Thabeet last year so I’m under the impression that they would like to develop him more. If they take Udoh, he will start giving production right away, he has been there and as a junior has a lot of experience coming into the league. I might be going on a major stretch here but I can honestly see this guy being like a Dejuan Blair in this draft. Baylor had major success this year and he played a big role in that as well.

13. Toronto Raptors- Hassan Whiteside, C, Marshall

NBA Comparison: Tyson Chandler/JeVale McGee

Whiteside has led the NCAA in blocks this year with 5.5. He also averaged 13.5 pts 9.2 rebounds on 53% shooting. Whiteside is all potential at this point. Extremely athletic, knows how to finish, oh and he knows how to block shots. Unlike last years perennial potential C Thabeet, Whiteside can play at least a bit of offense. Will he help right away? Probably not but he could get 10-16 min off the bench for a squad with an already proven C and learn. He could spend time in the d-league as well where I bet he would average a triple double in pts/reb/blk.

I have a feeling someone will fall in love with that "upside" and pick him in the lottery. I'm not saying they should, but anyone who's paid attention to the draft for the last 10 years or so knows that it'll probably happen.

14. Houston Rockets- Donatos Montiejunas, PF/C, International

NBA Comparison: Andrea Bargnani

It’s either Daniel Orton or Donatos, and you have to believe Houston wants the Euro. Why? I think you can make the argument that Houston’s worst position is at the 4 (assuming Yao is healthy), followed up by the Center position. Donatos is a stretch 4, who can play down low when called on.

15. Milwaukee Bucks- Damion James, SF/PF, Texas

NBA Comparison: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Standing at 6'7" 225 pounds, playing PF could be a challenge. Damion James just finished his career at Texas. He has played with such NBA players like Kevin Durant and DJ Augustin. I myself am a fan of James and late this season has proved he is a first round pick. This guy is a very interesting prospect. He has the characteristics of a big-time player, but not the extreme talent level (at least not yet).

16. Minnesota Timberwolves- Paul George, SF/PF, Fresno State

NBA Comparison: Trevor Ariza/Danny Granger

No secret they want Evan Turner. They can't get him at #4, so they should snatch a swingman with major upside in George. He's a great athlete and can get to the basket very well, especially for someone with good size like him. Paul George reminds me of Trevor Ariza, just with a better jumper. This kid can flat out shoot, plus he brings excellent athleticism and length. He's always come off to me as an "upside" guy, which I usually take with great caution, but he does seem to have a lot of promise, which is what really intrigues me with him. He looks like he can get to the basket and can really shoot the ball. His description actually reminds me of James Johnson, but not as big and tough, but more of a pure scorer.

17. Chicago Bulls- James Anderson, SG, Oklahoma State

NBA Comparison: Richard Hamilton

James Anderson is the best guy for the Bulls. He's the best shooter, has the best range, and is actually a very good athlete. I don't know how many times Rose kicked it out to Hinrich or someone else for a missed 3, that's all the Bulls need with a shooting guard outside of solid defense, someone who can actually shoot the ball, and Anderson fits in perfectly there, and he looks like he has the skill to be a very good defender as well.

18. Miami Heat- Daniel Orton, C, Kentucky

NBA Comparison: Kendrick Perkins/Erick Dampier

Good size, high motor, seems to really enjoy playing defense. Appears to be very coachable. Offensively seems to have a little more touch around the basket than Perkins, but overall I think Kendrick is a fair comparison. The Heat need someone to replace Jermaine, this is the ideal pick for them.

19. Boston Celtics- Gordon Hayward, SF, Butler

NBA Comparison: Lamar Odom/Mike Miller

Hayward reminds me a lot of Lamar Odom when he was playing SF. Hayward isn't as strong as Odom so he wouldn't be able to defend over half of the PF’s in the league, but on the offensive end he is very similar to Odom. He is a nice driver, a creative finisher at the rim, has an above average jump shot and has a very high basketball IQ. The Celtics could use him off the bench, and during the long regular season, when they’re cutting down on minutes for Pierce and Allen, it will give Gordon some time to improve and learn.

20. San Antonio Spurs- Stanley Robinson, SF/PF, Connecticut

NBA Comparison: Gerald Wallace/Jamario Moon

He’s a Greg Popovich type player. Hardnosed defender, extremely athletic and has ability to explode in games, great body frame and size to play the 3 and 4 positions, and is a very solid rebounder. He may not be as mentally tough as the average Spur, but there’s no denying his potential.

21. Oklahoma City Thunder- Solomon Alabi, C, Florida State

NBA Comparison: JeVale McGee

This is the guy they need, a banger down low who will get blocks and rebounds. In essence, the Thunder need him to defend the Gasol’s, Bynum’s, and Duncan’s of the West. I think of him as an upgraded version of JeVale McGee, he actually has control of his body, can position himself well in the paint for blocks, and does a good job of standing his ground for rebounds.

22. Portland Trailblazers- Eric Bledsoe, PG/SG, Kentucky

NBA Comparison: Russell Westbrook/Keyon Dooling

He reminds me of Russell Westbrook, a perfect pick as a combo guard, big skills, has potential, physical and has a solid jump shot. They have talent, but haven't developed offensively whatsoever this season. I really don't think Andre Miller is the guy they should be keeping for a long time. What this team needs at PG is defense, 3 point shooting, and someone who can play off the ball. Eric Bledsoe can do a variety of things, will stay aggressive in this offense, and would push the ball up the court.

23. Minnesota Timberwolves- Luke Babbit, SF, Nevada

NBA Comparison: Keith Van Horn/Mike Miller

I have a gut feeling Babbit will drop in this draft, teams will question his defense, but at this point in the draft, Minnesota will want the best player available. He can shoot lights out, good height, needs D.

24. Atlanta Hawks- Elliot Williams, SG, Memphis

NBA Comparison: Rodney Stuckey

The sad truth is that there is no good backup plan for losing JJ (assuming he leaves). The amount of cap room they have is around the MLE and since teams have been hording cap space in an effort to make a run at LeBron or Wade, not to mention stars like Bosh and Boozer, I couldn't see the Hawks getting into serious bidding for anyone who'd be considered an upgrade, or even an acceptable replacement. The only option they'd have would be to hope for increased production out of Horford, Smoove, Marvin, and Teague to cover the loss. You just can't lose an all star and expect to get better, so they will be rebuilding. The best SG left in this draft is Elliot Williams, and while there are some glaring weaknesses in his game, he has shown a ton of potential. He has the ability to create his own shot, but has a tough time finishing with his right hand. He can play defense and seems committed to it, so that’s definitely a good sign for Atlanta.

25. Memphis Grizzlies- Willie Warren, PG/SG, Oklahoma

NBA Comparison: Ben Gordon/Jamal Crawford

Last season Warren was considered a top 10 pick but elected to stay an extra year so he could be the big man on campus after Griffin. Warren Averaged 16.3 pts 4.1 asts 3.3 reb 1 stl 44% FG and 30% from 3 in his sophomore season, standing at 6'4" and 200 lbs. He likes to attack the rim and is very aggressive; he needs to improve his shot selection and his defense as well as his consistency. At his size he should be able to play some PG but he needs to work on his PG skills (passing, ball handling, and leadership). The Grizz need that score first mentality in the backcourt, as I believe OJ Mayo will look to be more of a playmaker and catalyst for the offense next year.

26. Oklahoma City Thunder- Avery Bradley, PG/SG, Texas

NBA Comparison: Monta Ellis/Mario Chalmers

Now is where the Thunder should focus on drafting some offensive spark plugs off the bench. Avery Bradley is a combo guard who scores in bunches, much like Monta Ellis. He can score off the dribble, has a very nice touch around the basket, and attacks the basket whenever he finds a hole in the defense. This is what the Thunder need off the bench, someone who can score in place of Durant along with the second unit.

27. New Jersey Nets- Devin Ebanks, SF/PF, West Virginia

NBA Comparison: Corey Brewer/Jared Dudley

This kid has potential written all over him, and that is ultimately the main reason why teams will draft him. He won’t make an immediate impact, but he’s a special talent once he finds his niche. Extremely unselfish, can shoot from midrange very well, and has a smooth offensive game. Loves to crash the boards, and due to his long wingspan, is able to play the passing lanes well.

28. Memphis Grizzlies- Quincy Pondexter, SF/PF, Washington

NBA Comparison: Mickael Pietrus/Bobby Simmons

The Grizz need more two way players, they need players with good work ethic and a strong enthusiasm to get better. Quincy Pondexter will come in right away and make an impact on both sides of the court. And if for some reason Rudy Gay decides to leave, it will open up an opportunity for Quincy to showcase his talent.

29. Orlando Magic- Greivis Vasquez, PG, Maryland

NBA Comparison: Luke Ridnour

I think they are in dire need of a pass-first point guard. Alston was more of a pass-first PG than Nelson and they went to the Finals last year. Nelson of course is a terrific player, but not a pass-first one. They either need to seriously work on Jameer's passing or get rid of him to bring in a distributor. They could even just get a player at another position who just knows when to get his teammates the ball. They don't have that player right now.

Greivis Vasquez just finished his last season in college, a great run with the Maryland Terrapins. Throughout his career he averaged 15.9 points 4.7 rebounds 5.7 assists 1.4 steals 43% FG 83% FT & 33% 3ptfg.

Vasquez has been an exciting player to watch standing at 6'5" giving him a height advantage over other PG's, he has been a key part of Maryland since a freshman. Born in Venezuela, his game is fast paced and very fun to watch and many people have said he may fit better overseas. I think he could be a fan favorite off the bench for energy and possibly emerge as a starter one day.

30. Washington Wizards- Jordan Crawford, SG, Xavier

NBA Comparison: J.R. Smith

The last time the Wizards drafted a SG, it was Nick Young out of USC, and to say the least, the pick was not worth it. So let’s try it again… Jordan plays with a lot of bounce in his step and a lot of confidence. He's a 1st round talent, just a bit of a tweener in size at 6'4'' 190lbs. He can score at the next level though... maybe not right away, but soon. He's a legit NBA player. Dropping 87 points in 3 games in the tournament doesn't just happen…. You have to be pretty good to do that.

What I saw from him in that Kansas St. game was just about all I needed to see. Yeah, he's a bit of a gunner, but if he's your 4th or 5th guy, you're in good shape. I mean, honestly, what's the difference between him and J.R. Smith?

• Like 3

SAD = 4. Minnesota Timberwolves- Demarcus Cousins, C, Kentucky

NBA Comparison: Eddy Curry

I couldn't really think of a better comparison than Eddy Curry to be honest with you.

But you have to remember, Eddy Curry was pretty darn good a few years ago, averaging 19.5PPG, 7RPG. Cousins definitely has that potential.

I played JR Smith in summer ball in high school.

Where's the 2nd round?

I'll make a second round mock soon, but it won't be as detailed as this. I like to do one large mock every year for the first round.

My mocks are never accurate though :lol:

And I just realized my mistake with the Clippers, I completely forgot they had Blake Griffin returning, so they don't need another PF in Patrick Patterson. They're probably better off selecting Aminu to solidify their front court for the future.

Excellent mock AL. Orton would be a terrible pick but project guys like Whiteside and Donatas are the ideal pick if a big like Greg Monroe isn't on the board.

He only said Curry cuz thats what NBADraft has.. no originality

Cousins - Kendrick Perkins type body with Al Jefferson skills

Actually all these comparisons are from NBADraft or Draftexpress and some make no sense at all.

Great mock though, like the work into this.

Edited by NeTs15VC

He only said Curry cuz thats what NBADraft has.. no originality

Cousins - Kendrick Perkins type body with Al Jefferson skills

Actually all these comparisons are from NBADraft or Draftexpress and some make no sense at all.

Great mock though, like the work into this.

Which one's don't make sense? The Eddy Curry one makes perfect sense...

Teams will be crying after passing up on Paul George.

I think he's THE steal of the draft along with Bledsoe, even if he goes top 20. I also think Alabi, Elliot Williams, and (super sleeper) Dominique Jones will be very good rookies.

Good mock, Damion James will never play PF btw, I think he'd be a SF/SG if anything, not SF/PF.

• Owner

For Cousins, you could say Al Jefferson, but a more athletic (sort of) and stronger Zach Randolph comes to mind as well.

I'll have to comment on the rest of the mock (and the other mocks) tomorrow.

LOL I remember I got ripped so hard for putting Motiejunas outside my top 10 when I made my first mock this year. Now it seems like a foregone conclusion he's a late lottery pick because of all the question marks surrounding his game.

LOL I remember I got ripped so hard for putting Motiejunas outside my top 10 when I made my first mock this year.

No you didn't.

The only poster that "ripped" you for having Motiejunas going outside of the top 10 was Yugo.

ATDI crticized your pick of having Motiejunas going to the Grizzlies because he felt it was a terrible fit for him. He didn't "rip" you for having him outside of the top 10.

Having one person, two at best, criticize you for not having Motiejunas going in the top 10 doesn't mean you were "ripped" on, especially when you probably had about 12 posters comment on your mock. Most people thought it was a good mock from what I recall.

Anyways, I'll try to comment on your mock within the next couple of days, ABL.

LOL I remember I got ripped so hard for putting Motiejunas outside my top 10 when I made my first mock this year.

When are you going to give this up? I also remembering liking some of your picks as well but you've never brought that up. Remind me to never have sex with your mum. You'll hold it against me for so long.. no, wait.. too late.

AboveLegit, good mock. I really should do one. I have so much time at the moment, I think I might get one started sometime soon.