Defending Kobe Bryant.

The numbers confirm that he torched Ray Allen, but Tony Allen and Paul Pierce did an excellent job on him.

Defender FGs FTs Ast TO Pts Pos

--------------------------------------------

R. Allen 4-7 3-4 5 1 12 10

T. Allen 1-5 4-4 0 2 6 9

Pierce 1-5 2-2 0 1 4 7

Other 4-5 0-0 1 0 8 5

--------------------------------------------

Totals 10-22 9-10 6 4 30 31

However, Kobe was very ineffective in isolations.

Play Type FGs

-------------------

Isolation 2-11

High P&R 4-4

Transition 2-3

Scramble 2-2

Side P&R 0-1

P&R Roll Man 0-1

If Kobe's just going to isolate, the Celtics will be prepared to slow him down, especially if Kobe is guarded by Tony Allen or Paul Pierce. However, Boston must do a better job in their screen/roll coverage of Bryant. That might mean getting a better screen defender in the game, for example, Wallace in for Perkins.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1154

Ray Allen was torched because he had to adapt to the refs and his fouls. Tony Allen did well against Kobe as well. I recall that clean block he had when Kobe drove in. Pierce didn't stand out as a great defender, but I trust that he was a smart defender. Lastly, I think a few of those iso plays came from the end of the fourth when the game was over and Kobe was shooting for 30 and tacos.

Also, Sheed was great at defending Gasol. I think Celtics are going to give him more minutes to defend him and the P& R.

Ray Allen was torched because he had to adapt to the refs and his fouls. Tony Allen did well against Kobe as well. I recall that clean block he had when Kobe drove in. Pierce didn't stand out as a great defender, but I trust that he was a smart defender. Lastly, I think a few of those iso plays came from the end of the fourth when the game was over and Kobe was shooting for 30 and tacos.

Also, Sheed was great at defending Gasol. I think Celtics are going to give him more minutes to defend him and the P& R.

Actually, one of Kobe's iso makes came in garbage time when he hit that meaningless three at the end.

• Owner

They support how well (or bad) Kobe did against each in Game 1. Doesn't mean much outside of that one game, though.

Every fan knows Bryant can take anyone in the league, one on one, even to this day. Stick Pierce on Bryant the entire game, and Pierce probably doesn't retain the energy to get to his 20 points (or whatever he had in Game 1), and Kobe still gets his 30, one way or another.

The key to defending Bryant? The Jordan Rules. Throw as many different defenders on him, force him to adjust to more than just one or two guys, and box him up, a modified zone set just for Bryant. Everything AND the kitchen sink.

I praised LeBron and said he was a deserving MVP this season. I stated that he was a better overall player. Many did (even Magic). I was dead wrong.

If you're going to do your best to stop Bryant, you make him use every single offensive skillset he has, from post work to perimeter shooting, mid-range and slashing, facilitating, whatever...and to do that, you use multiple defenders. The Jordan Rules.

Ray Allen can't even stay up with Kobe, he was hand checking him everytime Kobe made a move. I like what Tony Allen did though, he plays smart aggressive defense and even when he gets beat he doesn't give up on the play. I don't recall Pierce guarding him a whole bunch, he was mostly there just to help. But as Brandon said there is no one that can stop Kobe, the entire defense needs to be well aware of Kobe's every move to have a chance. Kobe beat Celtic defenders to the hole with ease in game 1, in '08 we couldn't buy a basket in the paint.

Edited by Confidence

• Owner

Kobe beat Celtic defenders to the hole with ease in game 1, in '08 we couldn't buy a basket in the paint.

Correct. The 2008 Celtics had a younger Garnett, PJ Brown, and James Posey. They would never allow this much dribble penetration.

Tony Allen, and Paul Pierce, aren't key to holding Bryant. The Thunder probably had the numbers to prove that Durant was key, until he started getting lit up. He defended Kobe well in one game, had no chance the next.

Same went with LeBron a couple of years back, when Brown stated that LeBron would be best defending him, and the numbers showed it. Kobe kept shooting over him, and suddenly, it didn't look so true.

Tony, Ray, Paul...the least of my worries. I know Kobe will get his against anyone in green, no matter what. Numbers don't account for help defense, which is what Boston had to use excessively against Bryant all game.