GM2: Boston (0) @ Los Angeles (1)

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Kobe had foul trouble, good calls for the most part IMO, bad calls both ways a few times but it wasn't really one sided if you ask me. Rondo had a triple double, Ray had 7-8 3s in the first half and really set the tone, Pau played well but everyone else was kinda eh for the Lakers.

agree 100%

Gasol and Bynum were the only two who had a good game for us. Everyone else was disappointing. I guess it’s a little unfair for Kobe, but he was in foul trouble the majority of the game and never really got going. Fisher was pretty bad, we got absolutely nothing out of our bench. LO decides to go MIA again and picks up 3 fouls in 2 minutes. Ron Artest was absolutely terrible. That’s why I’m not giving up yet. We played terrible, and Boston needed an epic performance by Ray Allen to get by us. We’re in okay shape, it’s just a new series. Boston has 3 at home, so more adversity for us to conquer. If we’re true champions, we’ll win regardless, if not, then it wasn’t our year. But we shouldn’t beat ourselves up over this game.

Congrats to Ray Allen on setting the record though. He was amazing today, and Rondo played terrific basketball as well.

I'm sure as a veteran team, with guys like Phil/Kobe/Fish, we know what we're getting ourselves into with 3 games in Boston. I expect the Lakers to step up and still win the series.

Don't give up yet! :)

Edited by Artesticle

Drew was solid today, I like what I saw from him. He came to play. Too bad everybody else decided to play like [expletive]. Oh well. Game 3 here we come. And congrats to Ray Allen dude was shooting lights out.

Drew was solid today, I like what I saw from him. He came to play. Too bad everybody else decided to play like [expletive]. Oh well. Game 3 here we come. And congrats to Ray Allen dude was shooting lights out.

Drew and Pau showed up to play. Kobe, partially, but he was in foul trouble.

I'm hoping for a better showing for game 3, I'm surprised we were even in the game to be honest. This [expletive] better not happen on the road though, or it won't even be close.

Lakers gotta be ready and focused or else it's been two years for nothing, and Kobe can go cry to himself over the summer.

Edited by Artesticle

Vujacic needs more minutes. I don't mean to call out one of the greatest coaches of all time about a role player, but seriously, he's the best match up for Ray Allen on the Lakers team. I honestly believe that was the Lakers' biggest problem tonight. Let The Machine loose!

Anyway, on to some other things..

Artest needs to lose the chuck instinct.. and fast. He can be a great player for the Lakers if he just sets his mind right. Phil better give him hell.

Terrific game from the two towers in the paint. They combined for 46 points (13-20 FG, 20-25 FT) and 13 blocks. Holy cow.

Kobe had a very nice game despite the foul calls not going his way. All in all, officiating was absolutely terrible this game... as usual. Not unfair officiating, mind you. Just.. bad call after ball call.

Let's just hope that the Game 3 refs will call it FAIR and CONSISTENT for BOTH sides.

well at least it has been. both games have been called extremely soft and touchy both teams know this already they should just have to adjust its not hard imo

Edited by MoeRoadKill

• Owner

Just looking around at other forums (not going to give out the links, of course)...I notice a huge amount of Boston fans were talking about how the refs were handing Game 1 to the Lakers, and that it would all happen again in the second game of the series, since it was in Los Angeles.

Now that the Celtics won, I don't see any of that being discussed. Don't see any of them wondering why Kobe had five fouls with a full quarter of basketball left, something they were freaking out about when Ray Allen had his five the other night, saying the NBA was rigged and they were never watching another game after this series was over.

One thing I was surprised about tonight was the minimal amount of crying by Kobe after each of his calls. He's usually the biggest whiner in the league after he gets a foul, and he needs to get more technical fouls for the way he reacts to calls. I'm guessing he's had plenty, but he still whines too much.

Also, LeBron can't hold Kobe's jock, and it's becoming more and more apparent to me while watching these playoffs.

I think people tend to complain about fouls when their team loses a somewhat close game. It happens, I get sick of blaming games on the refs... I think it's been pretty fair so far. Some bad calls, but they go both ways.

Officiating has been tight so far.

Celtics: 62 free throws attempted and 57 fouls.

Lakers: 72 free throws attempted and 55 fouls.

In just two games.

Officiating has been tight so far.

Celtics: 62 free throws attempted and 57 fouls.

Lakers: 72 free throws attempted and 55 fouls.

In just two games.

Thanks for finding the stats... 2 fouls apart tells me it's close. Lakers have more FTs attempted... I mean I'm not arguing one way or another, I just feel like it's been very touchy, but even both ways more or less.

There haven't been any Jim Joyce calls yet.

• Owner

The gap isn't that significant, attempts and fouls, but the fouls that have been called are crucial when they happen at the worst parts of the game, and it also depends on the players involved.

Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant are the two best defensive players on the court, out of every single player in the NBA Finals. Both were in foul trouble all game long, and Boston dropped over 100 tonight. Lack of aggressiveness by Kobe (due to three early fouls, and five fouls to start the fourth) led to lack of dribble penetration, the main ingredient that led to a 20-point lead in Game 1 over the Celtics.

Bryant wasn't going to drive to the rim with two or three early fouls hanging over his head. It turned him into a jumpshooter.

On the other hand, Garnett picking up his early fouls actually helped Boston win the game. Garnett's garbage play was the reason for Boston's near collapse to end the game, after they built that 14-15 point lead.

The gap isn't that significant, attempts and fouls, but the fouls that have been called are crucial when they happen at the worst parts of the game, and it also depends on the players involved.

Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant are the two best defensive players on the court, out of every single player in the NBA Finals. Both were in foul trouble all game long, and Boston dropped over 100 tonight. Lack of aggressiveness by Kobe (due to three early fouls, and five fouls to start the fourth) led to lack of dribble penetration, the main ingredient that led to a 20-point lead in Game 1 over the Celtics.

Bryant wasn't going to drive to the rim with two or three early fouls hanging over his head. It turned him into a jumpshooter.

On the other hand, Garnett picking up his early fouls actually helped Boston win the game. Garnett's garbage play was the reason for Boston's near collapse to end the game, after they built that 14-15 point lead.

True, the fouls called on LA were often on your better defenders. But to say that Garnett nearly fouling out helped Boston win? I'm not sure how you can say that. Glen Davis chucked the ball up for 13 shots... Sure, he hustled and rebounded, but between him and Shelden Williams Boston clearly had worse things going on at PF than they did with Garnett out there. Garnett didn't turn the ball over, had 6 assists in 24 minutes, and also had 4 boards and 6 points on 5 FG attempts. Shelden had 2 turnovers in 4 minutes, while Davis missed 9 shots and had another turnover.

Kobe's fouls are up for debate, but I feel like only 2 of them were questionable... one of them late in the third, and another I think early in the third. That said, he sat a lot of the first half with his 3 I believe, when Boston built their huge lead. Those fouls were all warranted, and despite the comeback when Kobe came back in, that's where the game was lost.

As far as dribble penetration being the problem, yes it was. Rondo didn't just happen to drop a triple double, he knows how to score and dish. How did he have so much success? Was it Kobe's foul trouble, or the fact that he had to switch over to Ray Allen who was having the first half of his life? Whether or not he was on the bench, he was going to be guarding Allen. Don't tell me Artest would have changed that, he's far too slow to guard Rondo, and was better off guarding Pierce than Allen for multiple reasons.

Sure, there were some nicnac fouls in the game, but that's basketball for you. I'd have preferred to see the refs let them play, but there is more to blame for the loss than Kobe's 14 bench minutes.

I think were in a lot of trouble now heading to Boston. Were in a situation where we need 2 out of 3 in order to get the scenario we want, which is up 3-2 with a chance to close it out at home in game 6, and game 7 as a fallback. If we only take 1, were under the microscope in game 6, and Boston has shown they can beat us in LA. Allen is the Kobe stopper also.

• Owner

Kobe was on Rondo, tight, for the first half...but not all of it. Bryant lost him once due to help defense, left him open for a jumper that Rajon hit twice, that I can remember, the entire game.

Once Kobe jumped to Ray, Rondo was relieved. Ray hit a three on Bryant that was due to a screen (Ron didn't react to it well), and after that, Ray stopped scoring for the most part. Kobe kept an eye on him, made it tough for him to catch the ball.

Rondo took over the second half, mostly when Bryant was sitting. With Kobe in the game, Rondo's best stuff came on the break, with Farmar chasing him.

Had James Harden started going nuts in Games 4 or 5 in that OKC/LAL series, this would've been a similar problem. Kobe locked Westbrook up, BIG TIME, in those last two games...but he had all of his attention to give to Russell.

With Allen dropping bombs, Kobe in foul trouble, and Fisher and Farmar getting lit by Rondo...we were destined to lose this game.

A quick recap of the fouls called in the 4th.

Game 1

11:08 Rasheed Wallace shooting foul (Pau Gasol draws the foul)

8:27 Pau Gasol shooting foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

7:16 Lamar Odom shooting foul (Ray Allen draws the foul)

6:41 Lamar Odom loose ball foul (Glen Davis draws the foul)

6:11 Pau Gasol shooting foul (Ray Allen draws the foul)

4:45 Paul Pierce personal foul (Kobe Bryant draws the foul)

4:11 Kobe Bryant personal foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

2:15 Kevin Garnett shooting foul (Kobe Bryant draws the foul)

2:06 Kobe Bryant shooting foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

Game 2

11:15 Kobe Bryant offensive foul (Glen Davis draws the foul)

10:37 Tony Allen shooting foul (Lamar Odom draws the foul)

7:33 Ron Artest personal foul (Nate Robinson draws the foul)

6:16 Andrew Bynum shooting foul (Nate Robinson draws the foul)

5:58 Ray Allen shooting foul (Kobe Bryant draws the foul)

4:39 Andrew Bynum offensive foul (Rajon Rondo draws the foul)

3:41 Ron Artest personal foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

3:32 Ron Artest personal foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

3:05 Kevin Garnett personal foul (Pau Gasol draws the foul)

The next fouls were just to extend the game so I'm not including them.

Yellow = foul on Lakers

Green = foul on Celtics

Not favoring one team over the other, imo Celtics seemed a bit more aggressive in the fourth.

Also, Phil Jackson never shuts the hell up. Every post-game when the Lakers lose, he makes every comment related to officiating.

He needs to shut the hell up and be thankful that he's had Jordan, Kobe, and Shaq bring him call his titles. Anybody could have coached those teams, and I'm sick and tired of his whining.

• Owner

A quick recap of the fouls called in the 4th.

Game 1

11:08 Rasheed Wallace shooting foul (Pau Gasol draws the foul)

8:27 Pau Gasol shooting foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

7:16 Lamar Odom shooting foul (Ray Allen draws the foul)

6:41 Lamar Odom loose ball foul (Glen Davis draws the foul)

6:11 Pau Gasol shooting foul (Ray Allen draws the foul)

4:45 Paul Pierce personal foul (Kobe Bryant draws the foul)

4:11 Kobe Bryant personal foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

2:15 Kevin Garnett shooting foul (Kobe Bryant draws the foul)

2:06 Kobe Bryant shooting foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

Game 2

11:15 Kobe Bryant offensive foul (Glen Davis draws the foul)

10:37 Tony Allen shooting foul (Lamar Odom draws the foul)

7:33 Ron Artest personal foul (Nate Robinson draws the foul)

6:16 Andrew Bynum shooting foul (Nate Robinson draws the foul)

5:58 Ray Allen shooting foul (Kobe Bryant draws the foul)

4:39 Andrew Bynum offensive foul (Rajon Rondo draws the foul)

3:41 Ron Artest personal foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

3:32 Ron Artest personal foul (Paul Pierce draws the foul)

3:05 Kevin Garnett personal foul (Pau Gasol draws the foul)

The next fouls were just to extend the game so I'm not including them.

Yellow = foul on Lakers

Green = foul on Celtics

Not favoring one team over the other, imo Celtics seemed a bit more aggressive in the fourth.

Why did you post those if you're just going to say it wasn't favoring one team over the other? By posting those, you're showing us that the Lakers were called for twice as many fouls in those quarters, both games.

And the key is the one that gave Bryant his fifth foul, Game 2...which put him on the bench and helped Boston win the quarter, 31-22 (their best quarter, by the way).

Ironically, Boston won that Game 1 fourth quarter also, 25-18...their best quarter as well.