Amare Opting Out; Wants Max & To Stay in Phoenix

Jammin

Amare Stoudemire says he will opt out of the final year of his contract if he doesn't re-sign with the Phoenix Suns before then.

Stoudemire, speaking at his basketball camp Tuesday, said he deserves a maximum contract and would like it to be with Phoenix.

Stoudemire said there was "no chance" he would exercise the final year of his contract with the Suns, which would pay him about $17 million.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67090/20100608/amare_will_absolutely_opt_out_if_he_doesnt_sign_extension/

Knew it. Their team bond is so strong.

The only way he won't get a max contract is if he signs with a team with another superstar. Amare was arguably the MVP of the 2nd half of the season and played like a monster for most of the playoffs (couple missteps). I think he deserves just as much money as Chris Bosh or Joe Johnson will get.

The only way he won't get a max contract is if he signs with a team with another superstar. Amare was arguably the MVP of the 2nd half of the season and played like a monster for most of the playoffs (couple missteps). I think he deserves just as much money as Chris Bosh or Joe Johnson will get.

So you agree he isn't worth a max contract?

Depends on the team, as I said. Bosh will get max from the Raptors if he signs back. Joe Johnson could possibly get max but that's a stretch.

If he signs back with the Suns he'll get max, if he signs elsewhere he will probably get less.

I see us giving him a Max. I mean if no other superstar is going to sign with then I don't see why we wouldn't wanna keep Amar'e. He wants to stay in Phoenix and I'm sure people do too.

I still think he needs to work on his defense and rebounding.

Pretty sure the Suns and Amare have been 'negotiating' all this time, aka them not wanting to give him the max, it isn't much of a negotiation if they offer him the max lol... that is all this comes down to, they offer the max, he stays, they don't, he leaves.... he can get a max in Miami or New York, no doubt about it.