GM4: Los Angeles (2) @ Boston (1)

It sucks that I will miss the rest of this series, as I have to leave for governor's school on Sunday and won't be back until July 11th or something like that.

Anyway, should be interesting to see how the Lakers will react. Kobe shot the ball particularly well (especially from 3s, 6-11, and most of these shots were just incredible) but the turnovers hurt him. Bynum's absence was definitely felt though. Injuries are part of the game, so no excuses, but without him the Lakers aren't as dominant. Two big, dominant players down low is almost impossible to contain, and easier to contain when that is just one with just Pau Gasol. As I said before Rasheed has been defending him very well in my opinon. Should also be interesting to see how his back holds up.

Real - Here you go. My take on game 4.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4094/game4.jpg

Loss is mainly on Jackson. His refusal to play Mbenga in the 4th was a costly mistake. You have a team on fumes getting nothing from the bench. Nate is beating you in DP, Bynum can't play, Gasol is Mr. StayPuft. Time for DJ. He could give them what they lacked: energy, boards and swats. Boston goes 10-15 in the 4th. Why? Fumes. Why? Coach who values offense so heavily he won't value defense for its own sake even when it's needed to save the game.

• Owner

Loss is mainly on Jackson. His refusal to play Mbenga in the 4th was a costly mistake. You have a team on fumes getting nothing from the bench. Nate is beating you in DP, Bynum can't play, Gasol is Mr. StayPuft. Time for DJ. He could give them what they lacked: energy, boards and swats. Boston goes 10-15 in the 4th. Why? Fumes. Why? Coach who values offense so heavily he won't value defense for its own sake even when it's needed to save the game.

Yeah, and not only that, but Brown and Farmar were getting roasted out there in the fourth, and he kept them in, waiting for us to lose that lead.

What pisses me off most about Phil...he has this thing about resting our best players until we lose the lead, then tossing them back out there to try and make some heroic comeback happen when he KNOWS Bryant has to play 43-44 minutes a game just to pull out a win. He acts so concerned about Bryant's time on the floor, but he sure wasn't worried about it against the Suns.

It reminds me of the 20-point lead we had to end the third in Game 1. Same damn thing, although we didn't completely blow it. Once we get up 8-10 points and look comfortable, he lets his foot off the gas and goes into "bench practice" mode.

Then, when we actually need Mbenga to come out and handle Glen Davis, he makes sure DJ doesn't get a second on the court.

That's exactly why we lose games, all season long. We can sit here and smash Fisher for his defense (I did it all year), poke at how soft Gasol is, how Kobe's injury killed us in the second half of the season, how Artest's hand injury caused him to shoot 20% or so...but Phil Jackson is not exempt, as you stated. An offense is the best defense? Yes, when we had two unstoppable forces in Kobe and Shaq.

It is partly Jackson's fault, he kept the line-up in even though they were exhausted. Even if he did put DJ in not much would have changed. I doubt he can gaurd Glen and anyways. If he did a good job they always Have Rasheed, T. Allen, and Nate. The Lakers were almost option-less in the 4th Q.

Ivy - What changes is that Mbenga can swat, which changes Nate's game, which changes the game itself. Mbenga is a liability on O but he can anchor on D. On a night when Odom gave them nothing, Jackson had to look at alternatives but couldn't see past his offense-only biases.

Real - Phil is a fan of managing the score. Since the LA bench is so inept, Phil uses a lead in place of a bench. Dangerous game as you keep putting your starters on the floor in situations where they have to win on every possession. They play hard to generate a lead and then you put the bench out there, they lose the lead rapidly and the starters lost everything they just worked so hard to establish. Part of that is on Jackson, part of it on Kupchak for having such a woeful 7-12. LA has paid a heavy price for no draft picks for years. That's where 7-12 is replenished and instead it's gone bone dry.

Poe - 10 rings doesn't mean Jackson isn't infallible or beyond criticism. Look, Boston shoots 67% from the floor in the 4th. Scored on seven straight possessions. And nothing was done. Sorry but I'm gong to look to the sideline after that. Phil is a legendary coach but as Laker fans well know he's also stubborn and that has come back to bite them.

Poe - 10 rings doesn't mean Jackson isn't infallible or beyond criticism. Look, Boston shoots 67% from the floor in the 4th. Scored on seven straight possessions. And nothing was done. Sorry but I'm gong to look to the sideline after that. Phil is a legendary coach but as Laker fans well know he's also stubborn and that has come back to bite them.

I know that, but you guys are very quick to look Jackson's way whenever something doesn't go perfectly, and have been so throughout most of the year (from the threads I've looked at).

Personally, as far as the regular season goes, with a team as good as the Lakers, I'd prefer a coach that deliberately keeps games close. It keeps the players on their toes and helps better prepare them for adversities they may face in the playoffs. If a team is used to coasting through games throughout the regular season, like the Cavs for example, they won't know what the hell to do when they are confronted with a tight situation for the games that truly matter. It's the difference between a coach with a championship mentality, like Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich, and coaches that just have a good winning formula, like Stan Van Gundy and Mike Brown.

Anyway, I brought up that point to show that you can't always judge a coach by what's directly in front of you. There may have been some things that Phil Jackson is observing in the playoffs that you can't measure by statistics, and goes beyond who is on the floor at what time. The facts that stand out most to me is that Phil Jackson had ten championships in the past 20 years, has a perfect playoff series record after winning the first game, his team is back in the finals under his coaching, and they are 2-2 in a series where they have home-court advantage with a high chance of winning yet another championship. I'd feel pretty comfortable with this guy on the sidelines, no matter how questionable his decision making may seem at first.