Raja Bell and Lakers have "Mutual Interest"

Guest STL10

Guest STL10

Raja Bell and the Lakers have a strong interest in agreeing upon a contract, sources told Yahoo!

Kobe Bryant is strongly in favor of the Lakers acquiring Bell.

Bell was injured for most of the 09-10 season.--Yahoo!

LINK

Edited by STL10

• Owner

Rumors going around for not only Bell, but also for McGrady and Arenas (if Washington buys him out).

I wouldn't mind having an extra defensive player coming off the bench for us, but we NEED to address the point guard position first.

Guest STL10

Rumors going around for not only Bell, but also for McGrady and Arenas (if Washington buys him out).

I wouldn't mind having an extra defensive player coming off the bench for us, but we NEED to address the point guard position first.

Raja Bell can shut down 3/4 of the SG/SF in the league. He is REALLY an underrated defensive player, and he would make the Lakers the best defensive team in the NBA.

Edited by STL10

Guest STL10

Bell is finished. He would still be an upgrade over the Lakers current bench though.

What makes you say that? He played REALLY well with the Cats' last year before he broke his hand.

k first Ron, now Bell

are the Lakers just picking up anyone who has had success guarding Kobe at one point in time.

I swear the reason the picked up Ron was simply so he couldnt be on the other team to guard Kobe, and this seems the same.

Raja Bell can shut down 3/4 of the SG/SF in the league. He is REALLY an underrated defensive player, and he would make the Lakers the best defensive team in the NBA.

lol, Bell is not an underrated defender. Everyone knows him, and everyone knows hes going to shut you down. His season with the Bobcats was pretty horrid compared to his great seasons with Suns. If you remember Bell, you remember him battling with Kobe in the great Sun/Laker playoff series.

• Owner

The Lakers aren't concerned with who defends Bryant. There isn't a single player in the league that can truly lock Kobe up, especially when you remove the help defense.

The interest stems from Bell's perimeter defense and his ability to hit the three. We struggled from downtown this season, and if you look back at our previous seasons, it's safe to say we probably shot our worst from three than we ever have, at least over the last decade.

Raja would be our Bruce Bowen, and anyone who watched Spurs basketball knows how valuable he was to their championship runs.

Sounds like fun. I hope his injury isn't a big concern though. The Raja Bell I remember would be a perfect addition to our team, but honestly speaking I haven't seen much of him since his Phoenix days. I'd welcome the addition if Kobe is for it. He'd be an awesome backup for Kobe/Ron if he's still close to the player I remember him being.

Ahh, B's favorite player coming to LA! Gilbert Arenas! :lol:

Even if he was bought out (which probably isn't going to happen), I don't see the Lakers going after him. There's Shaun Livingston (who would do well in the triangle), Raymond Felton, and a few others would be a better fit in LA.

• Owner

Ahh, B's favorite player coming to LA! Gilbert Arenas! :lol:

Even if he was bought out (which probably isn't going to happen), I don't see the Lakers going after him. There's Shaun Livingston (who would do well in the triangle), Raymond Felton, and a few others would be a better fit in LA.

Yeah...I would absolutely HATE having Arenas here. I know you like him and all...but neverrrr.

this is a surprise to me, because when he said he wouldnt mind playin in miami for cheap like a while ago..in my mind it was official lol

but this could be interesting too, i think he's a great veteran to have on a team lookin to contend..that is if he can still play..havent seen him play in a while lol

Guest STL10

Raja who? lol

I remember wanting to punch his face every time they showed him in the Lakers - Suns series. He'd be a nice pickup, but I'd rather solve the PG dilemma first.

He is signed and moved on by now.

He'd be an upgrade over Puke Walton coming off the bench. Can defend and hit the three...sounds like a winner in my book.

We NEED to address our PG problem though. Fisher's getting older and Farmar is as good as gone.

k first Ron, now Bell

are the Lakers just picking up anyone who has had success guarding Kobe at one point in time.

I swear the reason the picked up Ron was simply so he couldnt be on the other team to guard Kobe, and this seems the same.

Or they're going after anyone who has gotten into a scuffle with Kobe at one point in time.

Currently, I would fix the PG problem first. Fisher is getting really old and they need a new young good back-up for Fisher or maybe even someone who can start over him. The bench isn't that bad. Farma, Brown, and Odom are all solid bench players. Though, they need to give MBenga more minutes.

Guest STL10

Currently, I would fix the PG problem first. Fisher is getting really old and they need a new young good back-up for Fisher or maybe even someone who can start over him. The bench isn't that bad. Farma, Brown, and Odom are all solid bench players. Though, they need to give MBenga more minutes.

Rafer Alston would be PERFECT for LA. He is a pass-first PG, and is a veteran who can hit the 3.

I'll pass on Raja Bell, he'll play defense but offensively he isn't going to bring a whole lot to the table. D'Antoni's uptempo offense made him a three point threat, but our half-court offense will turn him into Sasha Vujacic (and we all know how big of a success that has been). We have far greater priorities right now, but if I had to choose among the three guys rumored, Raja would be last on my list.

I'll pass on Raja Bell, he'll play defense but offensively he isn't going to bring a whole lot to the table. D'Antoni's uptempo offense made him a three point threat, but our half-court offense will turn him into Sasha Vujacic (and we all know how big of a success that has been). We have far greater priorities right now, but if I had to choose among the three guys rumored, Raja would be last on my list.

I disagree all we need him to do is be a spot up shooter, hes a lock for 40 % from 3 and that would be huge for us. And it doesnt hurt to have another great defensive player. Hes tough, hungry for a ring, plays great D, shoots the ball well. If we can get him for the vets min, its an easy decision. We usually have Bynum in with the 2nd unit anyway, it would be nice to be able to throw it down low to him and not have a bonehead guard like Farmar or Brown chuck dumb shots, instead a guy like Bell can spread the floor and make 3's, while also keeping a good defensive unit in tact.

Sounds good, except he plays as much defense as Adam Morrison does for us.

Eh that's not true. With Houston he was a very, very solid defensive player, and those Rockets' were always among the elite defensive teams in the league.

The biggest issue with Rafer is the same issue as with Fisher...low percentage shooter except behind the 3pt line. He is terrific at setting offenses up, though, and would be a solid backup PG.

Anyway, as for Bell, I think he'd be perfect for LA. Everyone knows how big he'd be for LA in the 3pt shooting department, but where I think he'd also help out is taking on offensive players that are too quick for Artest to handle. Artest has trouble with quicker players and fighting through screens, but Bell is terrific in both scenarios. Together they'd be a nightmare tandem (along with Kobe) for any of the elite offensive wings in the league.

Guest STL10

Eh that's not true. With Houston he was a very, very solid defensive player, and those Rockets' were always among the elite defensive teams in the league.

The biggest issue with Rafer is the same issue as with Fisher...low percentage shooter except behind the 3pt line. He is terrific at setting offenses up, though, and would be a solid backup PG.

Anyway, as for Bell, I think he'd be perfect for LA. Everyone knows how big he'd be for LA in the 3pt shooting department, but where I think he'd also help out is taking on offensive players that are too quick for Artest to handle. Artest has trouble with quicker players and fighting through screens, but Bell is terrific in both scenarios. Together they'd be a nightmare tandem (along with Kobe) for any of the elite offensive wings in the league.

Exactly what I was thinking. Took the words outta' my mouth.