Revisiting the 2007 Phoenix Mercury. The reason you might enjoy the WNBA.

Guest STL10

Guest STL10

I watched Guru of Go about 4 months ago and was amazed by Paul Westhead. Even in the WNBA he could run his signature seven seconds or less offense. Which in reference to the name meant "scoring in 7 seconds or less".Westhead was amazing due to his 1980 championship team with the Lakers, and his days in Loyola putting up 135 points a game.

Now, I realize there are many of you out there that are going to think that I have nothing else to write about and maybe I was "encouraged" to write a Pro-Mercury/WNBA piece. Not so. I am doing this on my own volition. Some of you may think I'm just being a guy and this is a testosterone filled blog dedicated to Penny Taylor, because I think she looks fine. No, not at all. I mean I do think she is pretty and all, but I'm not writing just because I have a crush on her.I'll be honest and say that Diana Taurasi is my only basketball crush. She plays the game fearlessly, bombs the 3, and finds the open man(STEVE NASH). She was the only reason I watched NCAA Women's Basketball in the 2000's, and kept one eye on the WNBA.Let me state here and now that I am STRAIGHT for the haters. I am a BASKETBALL fan. Now to clear up common misconceptions with this article...

"Watching women play is boring."

WRONG! The Mercury played fast. They ran and gunned just like the Suns, and of course, played defense in a similar manner. Cappie Pondexter has a motor that never stopped. Her court vision was top notch. Penny Taylor had a game as smooth as Pau Gasol.

"I can't relate to female players."

Did you know the Mercury had the best record in the Western Conference? If you didn't jumped on the bandwagon, I recommend you try it and see if you like it. This team is athletic, they ran, they scored. The Merc had serious talent and dedicated players who wanted to win.

Doesn't that sound like the Suns, Warriors, or the Raptors?

"Women's Basketball Skill Cannot Match Men's."

http://wnbaoutsiders.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/diana-taurasi.jpg

Anyways, back to the 2007 team...

PAUL WESTHEAD

http://www.wnba.com/media/draft2007/westhead_300_070329.jpg

Former NBA coach Paul Westhead became the Mercury's head coach prior to the 2006 season and brought his up-tempo style to Phoenix. Westhead was the first WNBA coach to have won a previous NBA championship (1980 LA Lakers). His offense at Loyola produced 135 points per game in 1989. He is by FAR my favorite coach ever. If I had an NBA team I would run his offense for sure!

DIANA TAURASI

http://www.wnba.com/media/dee-candace_300_080917.jpg

In 2007, Taurasi finally reached the WNBA playoffs. In the first round, the Mercury eliminated the Seattle Storm two games to none. Next, they took down the San Antonio Silver Stars in a hard fought two game series. In a hard-fought series, Taurasi and Pondexter led the Mercury to their first WNBA title. With this victory Taurasi became just the seventh player ever to win an NCAA title, a WNBA title, and an Olympic gold medal. As you can see she is a highly decorated and outstanding player who I liken to Steve Nash.

CAPPIE PONDEXTER

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/music_sports/09/27/pondexter.playlist/76735161cap.jpg

In 2007, Pondexter played a key role in the Mercury's championship run, and was named 2007 WNBA Finals Most Valuable Player after averaging 22 points per game during the hard-fought five-game series. I compare her to Allen Iverson.

PENNY TAYLOR

http://www.wnba.com/media/mercury/penny_taylor_portrait_300.jpg

She was a vital contributor to the Mercury's championship success in 2007, posting a career-high 17.8 points, career-best 6.3 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 29.7 minutes per game. The 6-1 forward proved her big-game abilities during the 2007 WNBA Playoffs, where she averaged 19.3 points, a team-best 7.9 rebounds and 3.8 assists in a team-high 34.6 minutes per game. She to me is like Pau Gasol.

2007 Triumph

http://www.nbaloud.com/images/phoenix-mercury-2007-wnba-champions1.jpg

In 2007 the Mercury ran away with the Western Conference, posting a 23-11 record. The Mercury set a record by averaging 89.0 points in a season during 2007. In the first round the Mercury made quick work of the Seattle Storm, blowing them out in two games. In the Western Finals, the Mercury swept the San Antonio Silver Stars in a closer series. In the Finals, the Mercury faced the defending 2006 champions Detroit Shock. The two teams split the first two games in Detroit. Coming back home, the Mercury suffered a letdown in Game 3, losing 88-83. Down 2-1, the Mercury had to win Game 4 or lose. Game 4 came down to the final seconds, but the Mercury edged out the Shock 77-76 and forced a Game 5 in Detroit. In Game 5, Phoenix won by a score of 108-92.The Mercury won the championship with a 108-92 Game 5 victory, and gave Paul Westhead an NBA and WNBA title.

As you can see please think twice before you criticize the WNBA, I wrote this article for the love of the game,and for Diana Taurasi! :glasses: I still admit I love the NBA more than WNBA, but the gap is closing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRtY6JjdO8k

Edited by STL10
  • Like 4

Nice job, +1 for the effort.

I too enjoy Tauarasi's game, if you couldn't tell already, and the Pheonix Mercury is growing to be my favorite team. I enjoy their fast-paced style, and Taurasi is a very fun player to watch, even if she doesn't have any highlight super-athletic dunks.

I wouldn't compare her to Steve Nash, though. She doesn't even play the same position, not this year at least. She's more of a guard-forward like T-Mac, and has the same type of all-around game and versatility.

Anyway, the Mercury aren't quite the team they were back in 2007. Pondexter now plays for the New York Liberty, and Paul Westhead has moved on to coach women's college basketball apparently. The Mercury still play at a high pace, but they appear to lack their old talent. Their record is currently 5-7.

Regarding the WNBA's popularity, you have to understand that the league is at an early stage, especially comparing to the NBA. At first for the NBA, there weren't very many teams (only 8 I think), dunking wasn't a big deal, players weren't making a whole lot of money, and the level of competition and overall training wasn't that great. Over time, great players made the game better. The Magic-Bird rivalry gained attention, and Michael Jordan brought it to a whole new level. Now basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world, if not the very most popular.

Similar things are happening with the WNBA. At the moment, there aren't very many teams (only 12), the highest payed players are only making a fraction of the minimum salary of the NBA, and hardly anyone can even dunk. Now they got their Jerry West (Diana Taurasi), they drafted their Oscar Robertson a few years ago (Candace Parker), and they are about to get their Wilt Chamberlain (Brittney Griner).

As young girls grow up watching the sport, and more young kids grow up watching it... over time, the sport will gain more and more popularity as fanbases grow in strength. The competition will be stronger. There will be more teams. There will be more athletic freaks that can dunk, and dunking won't be such a rarity anymore. Salaries will grow. The game will expand.

Maybe the WNBA will someday get their Michael Jordan, and maybe an NBA team will take on the risk of drafting her, and making history as the first woman to ever play among men in a professional sport (I think).

No, the WNBA will never be as popular as the NBA, maybe not even close. But you have to understand, it will take some time before the WNBA gains its recognition.

One last thing, about the sport being "gay" for guys to watch. I personally find it more gay for guys to wear other grown men's jerseys.

Edited by Poe

Guest STL10

Nice job, +1 for the effort.

I too enjoy Tauarasi's game, if you couldn't tell already, and the Pheonix Mercury is growing to be my favorite team. I enjoy their fast-paced style, and Taurasi is a very fun player to watch, even if she doesn't have any highlight super-athletic dunks.

I wouldn't compare her to Steve Nash, though. She doesn't even play the same position, not this year at least. She's more of a guard-forward like T-Mac, and has the same type of all-around game and versatility.

Anyway, the Mercury aren't quite the team they were back in 2007. Pondexter now plays for the New York Liberty, and Paul Westhead has moved on to coach women's college basketball apparently. The Mercury still play at a high pace, but they appear to lack their old talent. Their record is currently 5-7.

Regarding the WNBA's popularity, you have to understand that the league is at an early stage, especially comparing to the NBA. At first for the NBA, there weren't very many teams (only 8 I think), dunking wasn't a big deal, players weren't making a whole lot of money, and the level of competition and overall training wasn't that great. Over time, great players made the game better. The Magic-Bird rivalry gained attention, and Michael Jordan brought it to a whole new level. Now basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world, if not the very most popular.

Similar things are happening with the WNBA. At the moment, there aren't very many teams (only 12), the highest payed players are only making a fraction of the minimum salary of the NBA, and hardly anyone can even dunk. Now they got their Jerry West (Diana Taurasi), they drafted their Oscar Robertson a few years ago (Candace Parker), and they are about to get their Wilt Chamberlain (Brittney Griner).

As young girls grow up watching the sport, and more young kids grow up watching it... over time, the sport will gain more and more popularity as fanbases grow in strength. The competition will be stronger. There will be more teams. There will be more athletic freaks that can dunk, and dunking won't be such a rarity anymore. Salaries will grow. The game will expand.

Maybe the WNBA will someday get their Michael Jordan, and maybe an NBA team will take on the risk of drafting her, and making history as the first woman to ever play among men in a professional sport (I think).

No, the WNBA will never be as popular as the NBA, maybe not even close. But you have to understand, it will take some time before the WNBA gains its recognition.

One last thing, about the sport being "gay" for guys to watch. I personally find it more gay for guys to wear other grown men's jerseys.

I like your Griner to Chamberlain comparison. I agree with a lot of what you say, but I hope the WNBA gets their MJ.

Guest STL10

+1 for the effort, I really have a hard time watching most WNBA teams but I did see a few games in 07 (I think, that was Diana's rookie year right?), and the Mercury definitely stood out to me.

I researched for 2 hours before I wrote this article. I wanted it to be great.

• 2 weeks later...