Jackson 'leaning towards retiring'

"I'm leaning towards retiring but I have not made up my mind," Jackson said.

"I'll take a week after the medical tests are done," Jackson said. "Some of it's about health, some of it's about that's the way I feel right now. I've had vacillating feelings about it. It's hard not to feel like coming back when you're speaking to these players and have an opportunity to coach a team that's this good. But, it's what I feel like right now and what I feel like in the process that's gone through. It's just something I'm going to sit with and feel out and after I'm through talking about all the rest of it with the doctors, then I'll make the final decision."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5320083

Confidence made a post about Jackson's daughter thinking he's leaning towards retirement. This is from Jackson, himself. Merge if necessary.

If Bynum stays healthy, Kobe fixes his fingers, we get a solid bench player or two in free agency for the vets min, Artest another year in the triangle. We could be unstoppable next year! Then again, I say that every year. :lol:

I really dont think he would leave the chance of missing another 3 peat. Plus if we win it without him it wont look too good for his legacy, the argument will continue to be made that he wins cause of his great players. But I actually think he might step down cause hes just exhausted and wants to ride off into the sunset with all his rings, hes already 2 ahead of Red. I just think it would be better to retire on a 3 peat and dont leave any unfinished business.

In any case, I think Shaw should take over if Phil leaves. I hope we stay in house and keep the same system that everyone knows and the system that this team was built for and is prfect for. Plus with Kobe and Fish I dont think you really need a strong presence at the head coach.

Edited by kingfish

Guest STL10

I really hope he doesn't leave, but if he actually does, I hope Shaw replaces him. I don't want a new coach coming in and changing things up

Kurt Rambis may pay the Wolves money, and take the Lakers job.

Jackson plays this game every year. Everyone wants him back, the Lakers have a great shot at yet another three-peat, the roster will remain intact (if not upgraded)...I just have a gut feeling he knows deep down that it'd be a huge mistake for him to pass up possibly the last chance he'll ever get at winning another ring.

Jackson plays this game every year. Everyone wants him back, the Lakers have a great shot at yet another three-peat, the roster will remain intact (if not upgraded)...I just have a gut feeling he knows deep down that it'd be a huge mistake for him to pass up possibly the last chance he'll ever get at winning another ring.

He has legit health concerns though, its a bit more than what Favre does.

He has legit health concerns though, its a bit more than what Favre does.

Every year he plays this game, using his health as the primary fuel for retirement. I know he's had his health issues, and I'm sure they've only gotten worse over the years, but I think it'll take a LOT for Jackson to give up this new Lakers dynasty. And considering we've all heard this song and dance before, I'm assuming it'd be more likely for him to come back than call it quits.