Asomugha unsatisfied with individual accolades, wants team success

http://www.sportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/asomugha.jpg

Asomugha unsatisfied with individual accolades, wants team success

It took six years for the NFL spotlight to shine on Nnamdi Asomugha.

When it finally did, the Oakland Raiders' cornerback discovered that "it can go a couple of different ways."

One way was Asomugha being selected to his first Pro Bowl last season, after which he received a guaranteed two-year contract worth $28.5 million. Another way is what he often hears from opposing coaches, players, and national media -- how amazing it is that he has been able to establish himself as one of the best cornerbacks in the game on one of the worst teams in the league.

"I don't appreciate it when I hear that," Asomugha said. "Are you supposed to be excited when someone says that? It's like someone saying, 'You're such a gifted person and I love everything about you, but, boy, your family is the worst family that I've ever seen in my life.' That's a backhanded slap in the face.

"You're talking about being the best or one of the best at your position, yet you feel like you haven't done enough to get some wins. You can come out of games and (hear) people praising you, but you still lost. And then that thought always goes through your head: 'What else could I have done? What more could I have done?' It's a very interesting dynamic."

Since 2003, when Asomugha joined the team, the Raiders have a combined record of 24-72. During that stretch, they've had three 4-12 seasons and a 2-14 finish. Their best record in that time is 5-11, which they achieved twice (2004 and '08).

To find the essence of Asomugha's career, you need only look at the third game of the 2006 season, his fourth in the NFL. He made his first two interceptions as a pro, yet the Raiders still ended up losing to Cleveland, 24-21. It was one of their 14 losses that year, although Asomugha managed to finish with a career-high eight interceptions.

"You don't know what emotion to pull from," he said.

Through six seasons of losing, he has noticed some disturbing trends. To him, the biggest is a general lack of maturity.

------

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8113d826&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

vid inside....

If he wanted team success, why did he re-sign with Oakland? He only wants to win for the right price.

This.

He probably would not have received the same amount of money elsewhere like the Raiders paid him, but he could have easily hoped on a contender for a reasonable price.

This.

He probably would not have received the same amount of money elsewhere like the Raiders paid him, but he could have easily hoped on a contender for a reasonable price.

Yes he would of. Asomogha is hands down the best corner in the NFL right now, it's not even debatable.

He's a top five player in the NFL right now.