Wizards, Magic Might Be Talking Arenas For Carter Swap

Guest STL10

Guest STL10

According to a trusted source, the Wizards and Magic might be discussing a trade involving Gilbert Arenas for Vince Carter.

RealGM Note: Arenas is close to Magic GM Otis Smith from his time in the Golden State front office.--RealGM

LINK

I believe the Magic's chances to get Paul are slim, and they will get rejected. I see the Magic offering Vince Carter, #29, and JJ Redick for Gilbert Arenas if they get shot down for Paul. In Van Gundy's offense Arenas would thrive at SG. As for the Wizards they would get a true SG, and a chance to sign Carmelo in next year's off-season. The Magic won't sit on their hands this off-season.

^ I predicted this :P

Edited by STL10

Guest STL10

I have faith that Arenas can get his [expletive] together and contribute to a team. But his contract is so damn bad, I say no thanks.

He would get 30 PPG in Van Gundy's offense IMO.

I highly doubt this will happen. But if it does, I probably wouldn't be complaining. Vince Carter would be a much better compliment to Wall than Arenas. Carter doesn't necessarily need the ball to be successful and he can be a serious go-to weapon for Wall. Also, VC provides leadership and veteran presence, which is exactly what our many incoming young players are going to need.

Plus, this would rid us of Arenas's nightmarish contract. Hell, I say go for it EG.

I actually agree with STL10...from a basketball standpoint, Arenas would thrive in that offense. The nature of their offense would allow it so that Arenas' ill-timed jacks and 30ft 3's be acceptable, and his ability to create his own shot and carry the team if Howard's having a tough time would be so valuable. If he could tone things down just a bit and learn how to play a little better team ball, he'd be a near-perfect fit for the Magic.

It would also help alleviate a lot of the chaos surrounding the Wizards right now. Getting rid of Arenas' contract and getting a nice expiring contract in Carter, along with giving Wall more freedom...I like it on the Wizard end as well.

Guest STL10

I actually agree with STL10...from a basketball standpoint, Arenas would thrive in that offense. The nature of their offense would allow it so that Arenas' ill-timed jacks and 30ft 3's be acceptable, and his ability to create his own shot and carry the team if Howard's having a tough time would be so valuable. If he could tone things down just a bit and learn how to play a little better team ball, he'd be a near-perfect fit for the Magic.

It would also help alleviate a lot of the chaos surrounding the Wizards right now. Getting rid of Arenas' contract and getting a nice expiring contract in Carter, along with giving Wall more freedom...I like it on the Wizard end as well.

Sounds like a win-win for everyone.

But the Magic just had a great time figuring out what to do on defense with their last defensive liability. Boston simply looked at whoever VC was guarding and milked that player.

Arenas would go stretches ignoring Dwight Howard, and unlike Carter who will pass (he just isn't good at it), Arenas would jack up bad shot and miss open teammates.

Why trade one problem for another variation of the same problem?

But the Magic just had a great time figuring out what to do on defense with their last defensive liability. Boston simply looked at whoever VC was guarding and milked that player.

Arenas would go stretches ignoring Dwight Howard, and unlike Carter who will pass (he just isn't good at it), Arenas would jack up bad shot and miss open teammates.

Why trade one problem for another variation of the same problem?

The difference is Arenas gives you the flexibility of being able to play PG, giving Lewis the chance to get more time at SF (his natural position) and Gortat/Bass more minutes. Offensively, at this stage of his career, there is no question he will give the Magic a lot more than Carter did last season.

And sure, the Celtics abused Carter defensively, but defense was not the issue in that series...Orlando not being able to find offense was. In that series the Celtics never scored over 96pts and never shot above 46.5% from the field. Where the Magic lost the series was not having a reliable go-to scorer. Even though Arenas had a down year last season from what we'are accustomed to seeing, but he still showed he can score. He started off the season horribly, but in his last 17 games he averaged 24.5PPG, dished 8APG and shot 43% from the floor, 36% from 3. Magic could use that firepower.