Ubaldo shelled

NomarFachix

• 2 weeks later...

:huh: flawed math? Red Sox - 49 wins Ubaldo 14 wins...Anyways what relevance is that anyway? Judging pitchers on W-L is humorous

It might be humorous if someone is say 7-1 with a 6.70 ERA, but if the ERA and wins are consistent, it really doesn't matter..

Ubaldo Jimenez is great and very well deserving of 14 wins, so this is not an indictment of him, but W-L for a pitcher is hands down the most overrated, irrelevant, and overused statistic in sports. Really shows nothing in most cases.

Ubaldo Jimenez is great and very well deserving of 14 wins, so this is not an indictment of him, but W-L for a pitcher is hands down the most overrated, irrelevant, and overused statistic in sports. Really shows nothing in most cases.

I completely agree for the most part, but it's not like his win loss is a complete fluke.. he won those games because the first 11 games he pitched in he allowed 7 runs. Since his ERA corresponded with his victories, I don't see why it's such an outrageous claim.

Well, I should clarify. On an individual season-to-season basis, I find it irrelevant, because of all the other factors that go into whether a pitcher gets a win or loss (run support, poor defense, an umpire having an absurd strike zone, and all the hundreds of other less obvious factors). I do think that W-L is very relevant when looking at a career as a whole (after a 15 or 20 year career). I think the law of averages cancels out most of those factors I mentioned after a certain amount of time. But for one season, wins is not relevant.

Edited by Phightins

Roy Oswalt any one?!