Interesting hypothetical question I found on another forum....

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Overview:

Say your school had Sports in their schools, but their athletes were........pretty.....mediocre. The School is known for their smarts and definitely not known for their Athletes/Sports.

Would you want to play Sports there? and Would you prefer playing Sports there compared to an athletic school that is known for their pure athletic ability?

Choice A is this....

You are backup/3rd string for a bunch of guys who are just better than you and more talented than you but they aren't D1 material, they just so happen to be better than you. Some bust their tails off, some coast and only give it their all during gameday/week...The team in general is alright, above average. You aren't starting and you are probably going to be playing on JV instead. You are not a leader, your voice is not heard from well, and they are fine without you.

Choice B is this.

You are a star player for a bunch of guys who aren't talented or good. They are more into academics and more into having fun with the Sport rather than busting their asses off and doing whatever it takes to get better. They have fun, but they still play hard, just not as hard as the guys in Choice A. You are the star of the team, you are one of the leaders, they aren't that good without you. The team in general is mediocre, typically a below .500 team.

Which do you choose?

Even when you are the star, and your teammates are terrible? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to stir up some conversation here.

Hell yeah, who cares about W-L, it's high school lol. Just means I get to take more shots and do whatever I want.

I would rather not be on the team than be a bench warmer. You have to go practice and give up all your time for no reason.

Basketball in my school was all about connections, I could have easily beaten out half my school's team (Aside from the guys we recruited), but I didn't have connections.

Edited by SRV

I would rather not be on the team than be a bench warmer. You have to go practice and give up all your time for no reason.

Basketball in my school was all about connections, I could have easily beaten out half my school's team (Aside from the guys we recruited), but I didn't have connections.

Sadly that was how my school worked for basketball too and it pisses me off. I still root against my High School Basketball to this day because of that/

Yup it's like that in all the high schools around me too I talk to my college buddies who went to schools near me and they are much better than anyone at my school and I find out they were on the bench because the coach didn't like em. Meanwhile he went to a school we always raped. Coaches always play their friends son/own son/ so on, it's rough but it's life.

On a similar note as to bench or playing. The mets acquired Mike Jacobs this offseason and he started the year on the club. After we brought Ike up he stopped getting time. We sent him down to minors and someone asked him how he felt about it, he said something like "I don't care about getting sent down but I better play down there" I love that a guy who is just there to play. In the end thats all it is. I'd much rather play everyday and never see the playoffs then to sit on the bench and watch my team win a championship.

If this is high school, and you don't appear to be going anywhere with your basketball career, then definitely the first one. You're gonna get way too much poon, and you get to play however you want. As a point guard, I'd love that opportunity to make my teammates better with passes while still being able to shoot whenever I felt fit.

Id rather warm the bench and win the championship.

Somebody is bound to get injured. Esp if I am just a freshman :)

Best Athletes for 4 years and 4 championships (assuming we are starting from the time I was a freshman). I could care less what anybody thinks, I have a championship and you don't. LOL

Being the star of a team that sucks dosen't guarantee your place in history. Look at Adam Morrison, he warmed the bench yeah yeah yeah, Dirk is the star of the Mavs but he dont have a ring (which sucks but thats another story) Point blank. Morrison can say hey I got two rings, hell he can even go to LeBron or Wade and say I have more rings than you.

Edited by deestillballin