Rockets 'ecstatic' about Patterson pick

Dash

Morey had talks to move to 9, 10 or 12 to get Patterson. Did not make other moves to save assets for sign and trades.

Rockets scouting director Gerald Madkins offered this assessment of Patrick Patterson:

''We're extremely excited to add Patrick Patterson to our roster. Truly, truly professional approach to the game. Quality individual. He's going to fit into our locker room. He was the No. 1 guy we were targeting — No. 6 overall. We can't believe it worked out the way it did. We're extremely happy.

''At the combine, he measured really well. I think that's why we were excited leaving the combine after he tested almost true size for a power forward. You know, you can speculate whether that's 6-10, 6-9. But we're very happy. We think he fits in very well with our cast. We're just ecstatic that we got him.

''One of the things we just loved about the kid is that if you look over his career, he's a guy that has been the No. 1 guy and then he has been a guy that can fill a role this year with all those freshmen coming in. They kind of took the hype away from him, and he didn't skip a beat. Just as productive. His approach never changed. Those are the kind of guys we love in our locker room. They have a straight-forward approach. They just show up for work everyday and do the best they can.

''Patrick is a quality defender. He's probably a better team defender right now. I think most young guys coming in the league are going to be that way. We see him as a guy that's going to add a little diversity to the things we can do defensively. This year, he's shown he can play out on the floor a little bit. I think that helps our defense tremendously.

''He's shown his ability to play out on the floor a little more than he has in the past. He's shooting college 3-pointers really well now. His mobility for a power forward is really good. He brings a lot of intangibles that teams love to have, especially winning teams like we think we can be.

''It's important to add quality people to your locker room. Not to take away anything away from his on-the-court ability, but he really fits in with our culture. He has a hard-working professional approach. You really can't measure that. I think we value that more than most teams. I think you guys are going to be really impressed with how well this guy understands and plays the game.

''We considered him the No. 1 guy that we wanted. He checked all the boxes for us: need, size, locker room, just down the line. We're just ecstatic about this pick.''

I knew the Rockets like Patterson a lot but if a top talent evaluating staff had Patterson 6th on their board, and to find him right at your lap at #14 is amazing. I was originally unhappy with this pick but I'm growing to like him as the reports flow in.

:(

I hope you enjoy him.

Haha I think I will. Patrick Patterson sounds a whole lot like Carl Landry with the rebounding and defensive capabilities, possibly more potential than Landry ever had. Two thumbs up on this pick.

hey were was montju.... guy? did he pull out of the draft?

Yeah.

idk if I'd be that high on the guy, I like him as a player but as a junior, idk how much more room to grow he has. Surely a bunch, but comparitively idk if he fits the bill like a Larry Sanders could have at the same position.

I like this guy already, he likes soccer ffs.

:lol:

Don't really know this guy but judging by his height and position he is a good replacement for Landry (or is Patterson better?) IMO. Tough player who can help out on the boards.

In an interview Morey commented that Patterson is a combination of Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes. A little less talented on both ends than those guys but definitely solid.

He also said that when the Raptors selected Ed Davis, Morey and the staff began to clap and were all smiles.

George and Henry were two other guys we would have given serious consideration had they been available.