[Completed] NBA's greatest scorer?

Real Deal

Because I know it's going to become a Kobe or MJ battle, I'll bring up someone new.

Wilt. Best scoring average in league history, completely different type of player and generation, but 100 will never be seen again.

MJ because-

33.4 ppg career playoff average (the record)

33.6 ppg career Finals average (the record)

30.1 ppg career average (the record)

41.0 ppg in the 1993 Finals (the record)

NBA Record Scoring Titles 10

Edited by DaBron James

Michael Jordan, with Kobe close behind. Jordan's perfect blend of versatility (why MJ>Kareem or Wilt), productiveness and efficiency (why MJ>Kobe) are unmatched.

Guest STL10

THE TOP NBA SCORER OF ALL TIME

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - 38,387 points

Formerly named Lew Alcindor, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is the best scorer ever. As a collegian named Lew, he was a three-time NCAA championship winner with coach John Wooden at UCLA. As a pro, he won Rookie of the Year, MVPs, and the NBA championship with the Big "O" in Milwaukee in 1970-71. He also became known for his signature "skyhook" shot. Then over the off-season, he converted from Catholicism to Islam and changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, which means "noble, powerful, servant."

Kareem was traded in 1974 to the LA Lakers, and despite many personal successes, failed to achieve team success until 1979, when the Lakers used their first-round draft pick to select Earvin "Magic" Johnson. After that, it was gravy - 9 divisional titles, 5 NBA championships, and 8 trips to the finals. He also made quite a splash in Hollywood, having a recurring role on the TV show Diff'rent Strokes and a prominent role in the movie Airplane! He retired at age 42 with a 7,000-point cushion over second place Wilt, and holds a record for career scoring that will probably never be broken.

2 Words...SKY HOOK!

Kobe Bryant because he has so many different ways to score at you no matter what defense you use on him. There is no one with the offensive skill set that he has

I'd say Kobe has a bit of a problem with athletic, long, swingman, guys like Trevor Ariza, Gerald Wallace, and someone else that just escaped my mind.

I'd say Kobe has a bit of a problem with athletic, long, swingman, guys like Trevor Ariza, Gerald Wallace, and someone else that just escaped my mind.

you are somewhat right but if you think about all defenders labeled the "kobe stoppers" have been scored on by him

you are somewhat right but if you think about all defenders labeled the "kobe stoppers" have been scored on by him

well there really cant be a Kobe stopper, every all-star player can have a bad game but I have noticed that Kobe doesnt perform as well vs athletic swingman as he does with guys like Shane Battier, Bowen who are labeled good defenders. The good defenders just know how to stay in front of man and force them into tough shots (which Kobe hits) but he will have more trouble with the guys that can contest his shot.

well there really cant be a Kobe stopper, every all-star player can have a bad game but I have noticed that Kobe doesnt perform as well vs athletic swingman as he does with guys like Shane Battier, Bowen who are labeled good defenders. The good defenders just know how to stay in front of man and force them into tough shots (which Kobe hits) but he will have more trouble with the guys that can contest his shot.

Yeah i get your point. The athletic defenders that just keep pestering him have the best success on him. Tony Allen did a really good job on him at times in the Celtics series, but if you just put a hand in his face hes gonna knock down the shot. I still dont think more than 2-3 players in the league can effectively shut him down on a given night unless you throw a double

Wilt

Scoring 100 points in a NBA game si remarkable. MJ never even came close to that.

It dosen't mattter if he played in a weak era.

It doesn't matter? How about Wilt was by far the tallest guys in the league and just had to hang around the basket and pop in dunks and layups for all of his points? Jordan's career high was earned through drives to the basket, difficult shots, etc etc. You can't possibly criticize Jordan for not getting close to that...

• Owner

At the same time, the guys you named (and Hawks named Tony Allen), they are all coming from excellent team defenses. Ariza and Houston, Wallace and the Cats, Allen and the Celtics, Prince and the 2004 Pistons.

Battier has had success against Bryant because, quite frankly, he is one of the best to lead a player into strong help defense. In fact, he's one of the smartest defenders I've seen in years.

I've seen guys do a great job on him, but not consistently, and not without a lot of help. As much as I've watched of him (seen more of Kobe than I have of Jordan, who I obsessed over for years), I've never seen a player actually stop him, one-on-one, in two consecutive games. People hate Kobe Bryant, the man...but a lot of people that hate him that way will admit that they love Kobe Bryant, the player...and I feel like that's the main reason for it.

For me, the greatest scorer can be three different guys: Kobe, Jordan, or Kareem. Tough choice. Jordan is more efficient than Bryant, Kareem is the all-time leader, and Kobe just has more ways to score the ball than anyone else I've ever seen.

I probably won't answer the topic, to be honest, because it's between Jordan and Bryant, in my opinion.

• Owner

It doesn't matter? How about Wilt was by far the tallest guys in the league and just had to hang around the basket and pop in dunks and layups for all of his points? Jordan's career high was earned through drives to the basket, difficult shots, etc etc. You can't possibly criticize Jordan for not getting close to that...

Yeah, I agree. Wilt was set to score a ton of points from the start, hogging the ball and simply dominating Darrall Imhoff and Cleveland Buckner. Imhoff was a second-year player who came off the bench, absolutely sucked for being 6-10 (shot 39% from the floor, averaged three fouls in under 20 MPG). Buckner was even worse, 6-9 and only played two seasons in the league, a rookie having to guard Wilt.

The Knicks' starting center (who was Phil Jordon) was injured, by the way.

Wilt had 23 in the first, 41 at half. He knew what he was going to do, and as the game was coming to a close, the fans kept encouraging the Warriors to give Wilt the ball, for almost a full quarter. 23 in the first...and during Kobe's 81, he had 26 at the half.

I just can't sit here and say that makes him the greatest scorer in NBA history. Hell, when he averaged 50 PPG that season, he also averaged 48.5 minutes per game. Played 79 of 80 games for 48 or more minutes, and went into OT in ten of them. Who does that?

Would Wilt be able to score 100 in the 80's or 90's? Against Hakeem, Eaton, Ewing, Mourning, Shaq, or Mutombo? Not a chance.

WIlt Chamberlain, the man score d100 Points and averaged 50PPG for a whole season.

Yao Ming is by far the tallest guy in the league right now, how come he isn;t averaging 50/20/5?

WIlt Chamberlain, the man score d100 Points and averaged 50PPG for a whole season.

Yao Ming is by far the tallest guy in the league right now, how come he isn;t averaging 50/20/5?

Because defense is a more important concept in the league right now. When Wilt was a 7 footer there werent many more to go around. The nba has a lot of them right now. Yao never played over 37.2 minutes in his career for a season. To be honest Wilt was also a better player than Yao, being more mobile and athletic. But in a much weaker era you cant compare his scoring to Kobe and Jordan. Its just a toss up between those 2.

Look at defense back then and look at it now... It was much easier for Wilt to muscle his way and easily dominate the paint. It was almost a joke watching Wilt score. He was not the most skilled scorer, he was the tallest ball hog.

Kobe Braynt he can beat you anywhere on the court, 3 pt, mid range, post, slashing, whatever and he's amazing at all of them. Easy decision IMO.

http://intelligenceisacurse.com/index.html/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/it-worries.jpg

Edited by AllenIverson#1fan