Michael Redd+Fillers For Dampier?

Hey Fellow Buck fans.

I spent yesterday with some family from Dallas, one of whom is a very well connected Mavs season ticket holder. He golfs and dines with Mavs brass, and told me that there is a semi serious offer on the table between the Bucks and the Mavs with the main players being Michael Redd and Eric Dampier (expiring). The general idea is that the Mavs feel they might be one more scorer away from contending with the WConf elite, and that the Bucks are ready for a total rebuild.

You heard it here first!

http://www.brewhoop.com/2009/7/11/945858/rumors-of-a-redd-removal

i dunno how i feel about this. we need dampier defense for when we play against bigs like tim duncan etc..

but then again redd in a mavs jersey (if he can be healthy) would be nice.

• Owner

Mavs dont need a shooter who doesnt have defense.

They already have terrible post defense, if you add in Michael Redd, wing players will be driving in twice as much.

Marion can defend multiple positions. I doubt they will really be any worse defensively. Diop has always been their big defensive presence, not Dampier.

• Owner

dont forget howard :lol:

Ah, damn...nevermind.

Howard is a pretty good defender as well.

Maybe Dallas is thinking they can go small?

C - Nowitzki

PF - Marion

SF - Howard

SG - Redd

PG - Kidd

That would work offensively, but they would have heaps of trouble stopping guys like Yao (yet, Yao is out for the season, so yeah...).

• Owner

Thats too much shooters on 1 team, wont work.

Dirk and Redd? Marion won't be a shooter in that offense, and he doesn't have to be. Howard isn't a shooter. Kidd doesn't shoot at all when he has offensive weapons to pass to. Terry will be coming off the bench.

I think you're a little worried about a team you despise and that is in your conference and division, sort of like the Spurs.

Dirk and Redd? Marion won't be a shooter in that offense, and he doesn't have to be. Howard isn't a shooter. Kidd doesn't shoot at all when he has offensive weapons to pass to. Terry will be coming off the bench.

I think you're a little worried about a team you despise and that is in your conference and division, sort of like the Spurs.

Im not worried at all, the Rockets arent contending any time soon since we are rebuilding and anyways, I want that #1 pick, John Wall here we come. I'll also settle for Donatas Montiejunas.

And Marion wont help the Mavs much at all, he is terrible in the playoffs, the Mavs as a team already are huge chokers, with Marion, wow.

Edited by YugoRocketsFan

if we get redd our team gonna be like

dirk, redd, marion, jho, jet, kidd, gortat, ross (a good defender 2), singleton, barea, hollins maybe, carroll, humphries, beaubois, nivins and possible mccants.

• Owner

The point is, Jason Kidd is still a good defensive player against the thicker point guards. Marion can defend anyone from 1-4 on the floor. Josh Howard can defend guards and small forwards. The only shooters would be Redd (spot up three) and Dirk, who creates his own shot and usually takes more mid-range contested shots.

So I don't see the problem with lack of defense OR having too many shooters. Post defense at the center position, yes...but that can be taken care of with a simple contract or small trade. Diop was extremely cheap.

And isn't there still the possibility that Gortat goes to Dallas? That's a big deal. Gortat is a pretty good man-to-man defender.

dont see this happening. But it would deffinately put the mavs over the top in the west

lmao no it wont.

I love how everyone buys it when a team gets too much talent and think they will instantly win a championship. Each player will want to get his, etc. etc.

• Owner

I love how everyone buys it when a team gets too much talent and think they will instantly win a championship. Each player will want to get his, etc. etc.

You said the same thing with the Lakers and Celtics.

You said the same thing with the Lakers and Celtics.

Celtics? I dont think so.

I knew they were gonna win the ring.

Lakers, I never said they wouldnt win it, I just didnt want them to win.

And I never said thats too much talent on one team.

The Lakers had a lot of talent but it complimented eachother

I honestly don't believe this. Not because I don't want it to happen, but it just seems too good to be true. Michael Redd for Erick Dampier and maybe a filler like Singleton or Hollins? I'm not buying it.

This isn't as good of a trade for the Mavs as it may seem. You guys definitely need Dampier's low post defense. Dirk will not be an effective center at all, he needs to stay where he is at the 4. The "small" lineup mentioned before which has Dirk at center just wouldn't work out. Managing minutes between Redd, Terry, Marion and Howard could be conflicting.

Managing minutes between Redd, Terry, Marion and Howard could be conflicting.

I agree with this. If Redd just so happens to come to Dallas, then they should use Terry or Howard to try to replace what they lost in Erick Dampier, because there's no way all of these players will be happy with the playing time (or lack of) that they are getting. And like you said, Dirk just can't cut it at center, or guarding a center. We know this.