Rockets Plan Pursuit Of Bosh; Going After Joe Johnson?

The Rockets are probably a long shot to land Bosh, but the word I received on Sunday was that they still believe they have a shot in the days before the process really heats up and the elaborate and inventive presentations are made.

The chance to play with Wade and the dramatically retooled Heat, or with Bosh with the young and talented Bulls will no doubt be attractive options for Bosh.

The Rockets have plenty to sell. He has said he is not a sidekick, but certainly would be in James' or Wade's shadow if he signs up with them. He has said he does not want to play center, but no destination can assure that quite like the Rockets.

The Rockets have more parts to do a sign and trade and still have a solid roster, and no team can offer the same stage in the world's biggest hoops mad market.

They will even make a push for a Joe Johnson sign and trade if that would mean luring Bosh to Houston, however they are hesitant to part with Kevin Martin to get him.

The Rockets will pull out every stop — the presentation will be something dazzling, likely taking advantage of Bosh's and the Rockets' shared tech geekness — and that might even include getting Bosh his very own all-star guard here.

The Rockets are considering chasing Joe Johnson, too, at least in part to give Bosh a suitable playmate. Johnson might be ready to move after his disappointing playoff series with the Hawks in which he was critical of the fans and eventually booed at home. But there are few doubts about his abilities. He's not Wade or James, but he is in the next group.

The Rockets are unsure if they want to go after Johnson if it means losing Kevin Martin in a sign-and-trade. Martin is tremendously efficient and will fit will with Yao. Johnson is the better defender and playmaker, and qualifies for a description that should appeal to the Rockets. He's remarkably durable.

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2010/06/rockets_plot_longshot_pursuit.html

I guess this could go in the "Rockets Wooing Bosh" thread, but I figured I would make a new thread as it would get more attention.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would absolutely love it if Bosh agreed to be traded to Houston. Since it is looking like the Raptors are going to be rebuilding and that there is a good chance the Knicks won't land the marquee free agents that they had hoped for, those Knick draft picks would be an absolute god send. Although Hill holds less appeal with the Raptors drafting Ed Davis, I would still love being able to get those two picks more than anything other than Bynum from the Lakers, but that doesn't look very likely.

Sadly, I don't see Bosh agreeing to go to Houston unless the Rockets have an amazing sales pitch. If they did land Bosh though, they would be a very formidable team assuming Yao is able to come back healthy (which is hardly a safe assumption).

It is interesting seeing them possibly pursue Joe Johnson if it means landing Bosh as well. Morey must really feel that Bosh would be able to vault them into the elite in the West because I honestly don't even know how much of an upgrade Johnson would be over Martin when you take their contracts into consderation. If they were able to land Johnson without giving up Martin (huge long shot) though, that team would be absolutely filthy.

I guess it makes some sense. The biggest name on our team is a guy who can't even stay healthy for a single season. The next thing to a big name is Kevin Martin, of course we have excellent role players to the side but maybe Houston wants a legitimate all-star because that is what they feel will help land Bosh. Problem is, if Bosh doesn't sign with us then we are left with Joe Johnson on a max contract...

I think our chances of landing Bosh depend on which statement he made is true, does he want to be the centerpiece or play with another star? There have been some contradicting stuff for the past few weeks.