Rudy Gay will draw call from Kahn

Memphis' Gay will draw a call from Kahn

The Timberwolves will target Memphis restricted free agent Rudy Gay when the NBA's free agency period begins Wednesday night, according to a league source.

Wolves boss David Kahn on Monday said he will call at 11 p.m. Wednesday two agents he wouldn't identify and seek to arrange for their clients to visit Target Center and meet with team personnel, including owner Glen Taylor.

Gay, 23, is a 6-8 small forward who just finished his fourth season with Memphis, which drafted him eighth overall (one pick after Randy Foye) in the 2006 draft. He plays the same position as Wesley Johnson, whom the Wolves selected with the fourth overall pick in last week's draft.

The Wolves could sign Gay to a maximum contract too rich for the Grizzlies to match, starting at more than $13 million per season. Or they could agree with Memphis on a longer, richer sign-and-trade deal, but the Grizzlies might be unwilling to take Al Jefferson's contract back.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/97358859.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Signing Gay would have made a whole lot more sense if Kahn didn't go all out for wings in the draft. I don't like that Kahn is also planning on overpaying Gay to reel him in. However, not many free agents would even consider signing with Minnesota unless they overpay. There is also the fact that Kahn does have to improve the team if he wants to finally sign Rubio.

Just don't do the Al for Gay s&t, that would be just awful.

Edited by Dash

Why would Rudy go to Minn? And why would he be signed to a max? He's good, but not worth a max...

Because they'll offer the most money?

How else do you expect Minny to get a 20 ppg wing?

Because they'll offer the most money?

How else do you expect Minny to get a 20 ppg wing?

I don't understand it really. I mean if they offer considerably more than I understand that for him, but it's a poor move to offer him a max contract IMO, and Minnesota isn't really in position to win enough to make a difference. He's young, so it's understandable, but idk if now is the time to sign a max FA.

Eh...he literally is the only option they are gonna have to sign a 20PPG scorer in at least the next few years. No one wants to go to Minny, especially with the team as crappy as it has been the last few seasons. The only type of All-Star talent that would ever sign there is a young one looking for his first big paycheck. Rudy Gay is their guy.

I don't understand it really. I mean if they offer considerably more than I understand that for him, but it's a poor move to offer him a max contract IMO, and Minnesota isn't really in position to win enough to make a difference. He's young, so it's understandable, but idk if now is the time to sign a max FA.

I agree that it will be a poor move and will continue to plummet Kahn's reputation around the league, but there is little hope to sign him without overpaying him. I seriously hope he doesn't offer the max but rather a $12-$13 per year deal, even then I'm not sure if it still is a good move or if Memphis will match.

I wouldn't mind Rudy Gay, as long as Webster is gone to cut down on the forwards. Can Gay even play the 2?

As for no one wanting to go to Minnesota... well, players have said they like Minnesota.

You'd be willing to give Gay a max contract? If Joe Johnson's worth is questionable for a max contract, then Gay is definitely not worth one. You guys should look for better options instead of throwing out max contracts to any semi-big name guy who shows interest in your franchise.

Guest STL10

I would pay Gay the MAX if I was the Wolves. He would perform well in the Triangle, and he's a great defensive player.

He averaged 19.6 PPG last year with 5.9 RPG. He also shot 46% from the field and he had 1.5 SPG.

He could turn out to be better than any player besides LeBron, Wade, and Bosh.

Call me crazy, but Rudy Gay is really young and really good.

I mean after all he's only 23 and hasn't even hit his prime yet...

I would pay Gay the MAX if I was the Wolves. He would perform well in the Triangle, and he's a great defensive player.

He averaged 19.6 PPG last year with 5.9 RPG. He also shot 46% from the field and he had 1.5 SPG.

He could turn out to be better than any player besides LeBron, Wade, and Bosh.

Call me crazy, but Rudy Gay is really young and really good.

I mean after all he's only 23 and hasn't even hit his prime yet...

So you're saying his worth is equivalent to that of Lebron and Wade?

You'd be willing to give Gay a max contract? If Joe Johnson's worth is questionable for a max contract, then Gay is definitely not worth one. You guys should look for better options instead of throwing out max contracts to any semi-big name guy who shows interest in your franchise.

Who else is a better option? :unsure: Who said the Wolves will offer him a max contract, any ways? People assume he'll get it because he wants it.

Edited by Lone Wolf

Who else is a better option? :unsure:

No one said you had to bring in a top free agent this summer. If I were the Wolves I would wait for next year instead of throwing all of that money away to someone undeserving of it.

Guest STL10

So you're saying his worth is equivalent to that of Lebron and Wade?

No? If there wasn't a MAX contract limit LeBron would get 100 million a year.

I'm simply stating I would give him a MAX if I couldn't get the Big 3.

IMO, trade Al, sign Lee to like maybe 9 mil starting pay (see Curry's contract, except Lee will contribute), and get a SF/SG in the trade.

idk why there's all this Brewer hate around draft time, he's gotten much better the last year.

No one said you had to bring in a top free agent this summer. If I were the Wolves I would wait for next year instead of throwing all of that money away to someone undeserving of it.

Then who the heck would they aim for next year? This year, the class is loaded.

Again, who said the Wolves are willing to give him a max contract? People need to stop assuming. -_-

It said "could", not "will".

Edited by Lone Wolf

No? If there wasn't a MAX contract limit LeBron would get 100 million a year.

I'm simply stating I would give him a MAX if I couldn't get the Big 3.

Rudy does not deserve that kind of money. I'm not knocking on him too hard, he's a great player and definitely worth a good amount of money. A max contract? HELL no. The Wolves would be digging themselves a deep hole if they do this.

I speak because I know what it's like to have your team offer undeserving players too much money (i.e Gilbert Arenas).

Then who the heck would they aim for next year? This year, the class is loaded.

Again, who said the Wolves are willing to give him a max contract? People need to stop assuming. -_-

It said "could", not "will".

Regardless of the "could" or "will", it still means the possibility is up on the air. You're better off going for a good talent next year for a lower price than settling for Rudy Gay this year and being stuck with his mammoth contract for years to come, which you would later realize wasn't worth it.

I don't blame you, and it's frustrating to have to wait a whole extra year to get someone with a name, but it's worth it. Signing Gay to a lot of money would eliminate Minnesota's financial flexibility to sign any decent talent next year and your team would be lead with an overpaid player who doesn't seem too concerned with winning. If Minnesota's goal is to rebuild and get talent in as soon as possible, this would not be a very good first step. Trade away Al Jefferson before making any big moves like this.