Gay agrees 5 year $81.6 million extension

UPDATE:

Rudy Gay and the Grizzlies have agreed to an $81.6 million contract over five years, his agents have confirmed.

Gay is a restricted free agent and was expected to be an option for teams that were unable to reach a deal with players such as LeBron James and Joe Johnson.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67694/20100701/rudy_gay_grizzlies_agree_to_$816m_extension/#ixzz0sSXfhwly

Source

Wow, I'm surprised he didn't entertain any other offers from other teams.

I'm pretty sure that's max for him, and compare his deal to the Rondo deal. I think Gay made out great with this.

I'm pretty sure that's max for him, and compare his deal to the Rondo deal. I think Gay made out great with this.

I figured of all the mid level FA's he'd be the one to leave. Guess I was wrong though.

Wow, I'm surprised he didn't entertain any other offers from other teams.

What is the point though? He is a restricted free agent and the Grizzlies offered him basically the max. No other team would be able to offer him anymore than what the Grizzlies did so any contract offered to him by another team would've just been matched by the Grizzlies. No point in dragging this process out when he was clearly going to stay in Memphis.

Even though this is clearly overpaying on the Grizzlies part, it was pretty clear that they would have to overpay in order to keep Gay in Memphis. After all of the dust settles with the big stars, Gay was going to get this kind of offer anyways. I like seeing him stay in Memphis though. It is good to see these small market teams being able to keep their players and be willing to spend the money to keep them.

Gay made out great with this deal from Memphis, I doubt any other team in the NBA would've been willing to pay him this much money, as he is still only a mid level player with potential to become a tier 1 kind of guy. Was hoping the Nets would nab him if noone else joined the fun in NJ.

Gay made out great with this deal from Memphis, I doubt any other team in the NBA would've been willing to pay him this much money, as he is still only a mid level player with potential to become a tier 1 kind of guy. Was hoping the Nets would nab him if noone else joined the fun in NJ.

It's been what, four years now? What exactly has Gay shown to say that he's going to be a tier one guy? I don't even know if he's a second or third option guy on a really good team. Right now he's a third option and that couldn't even get the Grizzlies to the playoffs.

Guest STL10

It's been what, four years now? What exactly has Gay shown to say that he's going to be a tier one guy? I don't even know if he's a second or third option guy on a really good team. Right now he's a third option and that couldn't even get the Grizzlies to the playoffs.

He's 23 and got nearly 20 ppg last year. Watch basketball please this kid would be a decent 1, or an amazing 2 option on a great team.

He's 23 and got nearly 20 ppg last year. Watch basketball please this kid would be a decent 1, or an amazing 2 option on a great team.

His ceiling right now is to be a decent 2nd option on a good team, a team that might be able to win one playoff series.

He can jump out of the gym and he uses that to score in transition and to simply drive and pull up over people. He's a poor passer though, isn't great at drawing contact at the rim, is an iffy three-point shooter, is an average defender, and doesn't have much court vision. He has some talent, I know that and I respect that.

But when you say tier one...when I think of tier one wings I think of LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Pierce, Ginobili, Roy, and Melo...seven guys who dominate the paint, seven terrific passers, and except for Melo, six guys with a tremendous feel for the game who are also excellent defenders.

Then you put that next to...Rudy Gay?

Even going down the line, you have Joe Johnson, O.J. Mayo, Jason Richardson, Danny Granger, Caron Butler...

What exactly does Gay do that makes him stand out more than other wings? Yeah he can score 20 points but so can John Salmons (he put up 19.9 for the Bucks). How is he scoring his points, and what else is he doing that wins games?

Unfortunally it's by watching Gay's games where you get the full story behind him as a player. If you ask me, Gay's problem is mental in a way. There are games where he looks like sure All-Star and others where he looks like an athletic sixth man.

Unfortunally it's by watching Gay's games where you get the full story behind him as a player. If you ask me, Gay's problem is mental in a way. There are games where he looks like sure All-Star and others where he looks like an athletic sixth man.

I think that's where Gay's best role is. He'd be a terrific 6th man who you just ask to jump over people and score, and you don't have to worry as much about team offense.