Toronto Secures $34M Deal With Amir Johnson

Doc

1) last year, he gave bargniani 5 year 50 mllion

2) gave hedo 5 year 53 million

3) gave calderon 5 year 35 million 2 years ago

4) 3 years ago gave kapono 24 million for 4 years

5) now, he is giving johnson 5 year 34 million

I expected him to get more than he is worth, but god damn, this is a lot.

When I saw the Gooden and Darko contracts earlier today I knew that the Raptors would be forced to drastically overpay to keep Johnson in Toronto though. I was expecting/hoping that they would give him something like 5 yrs/$27M. I thought that Johnson was worth aabout $5M per season so by my count, he is making around $1.8M more than he is worth.

With that said, the market dictates the price and once Gooden and Darko were signed to their contracts, it was completely unrealistic to expect Toronto to be able to get him at $5M per. If the Raptors didn't give him this contract, I'm sure somebody else would've.

I'm happy that he will be back with the team next season though. He was productive for the Raptors whenever he was on the court last season, but his problem was being able to stay on the court without picking up fouls. If he can sort out his issues with fouling and not being in foul trouble every game, this contract won't look too bad because he is productive when he is on the floor. Plus, he is still young at 23 and he never really got much of a chance in Detroit.

I'm still not thrilled with the price though. At the end of the day, he was a 6/5 player on a team that missed the playoffs and giving him nearly $7M per year is a lot.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

1) last year, he gave bargniani 5 year 50 mllion

2) gave hedo 5 year 53 million

3) gave calderon 5 year 35 million 2 years ago

4) 3 years ago gave kapono 24 million for 4 years

5) now, he is giving johnson 5 year 34 million

How can you criticize the Bargnani contract now? At the time it didn't look that great (not terrible either compared to other centers around the league), but now it is looking like a pretty good contract considering Rudy Gay just signed for $16+M and you have players like Darko, Gooden and Johnson getting between $5-7M. If Bargnani was a free agent he would be getting more than $50M with all of the money that is being thrown around. He doesn't get anything less than what Aldridge signed for which was around $12M with increases I think.

At the time Calderon's contract wasn't that bad either. He overpaid by about $2M or so but he was coming off of a damn good season with the Raptors and looked to be only getting better (he had improved his game each season since coming to Toronto). In hindsight, it is a terrible deal considering Calderon has proven to be incapable of handling the grind of being a startng point guard and he hasn't improved since signing the contract (he has regressed actually), but at the time of signing it I don't think it was really worth complaining about. Current day you can complain about it all you want though, god knows I do. :lol:

As for the other two, completely agree with you, they were terrible deals then and are terrible deals now.

This deal is basically being signed with the hope that Johnson is able to continue to improve and work out his issues as a player. He is basically beng signed based on potential, which is always a risky thing.

I will say this, if Johnson continues to improve each year and reaches his potential, this may look like a pretty good deal in 4 or 5 years. At the same time, it could also look like a terrible deal in 4 or 5 years if he doesn't improve that much.

Amir is pretty stoked to be with the team though.

BIG NEWS!!!!! IMMMMM BACKKK!!.... TDOT will be my home! I'm officially a Canadian..TDOT STAND UP LEEGO! #younggunz!!! :-)

:lol:

Of course he's happy to be back, he's probably still in shock anyone would give him more than $4M a year.

You're delusional if you think he was only getting $4M a season. His game may only warrant $4M per season but that is clearly not what he would get on the market. He was getting at least $5M from somebody, possibly more when you take into consideration some of the other deals that were signed.

Do you really think he would only get $4M a season considering that Darko Milicic just got $5M from the Wolves and Drew Gooden just got $6.4M from the Bucks? As much as we think that this deal is an overpayment, those two contracts that were agreed upon earlier in the day dictated the price of the rest these third tier big men free agents.

EDIT: Also, take a look at last season and the contracts that Brandon Bass and Marcin Gortat were signed to. They were both basically in the same situation as Johnson was in entering free agency and both were paid similar amounts to what Johnson was given (Gortat a bit more and Bass a bit less I think).

W-O-W. He has some potential but he's been in the league for 5 seasons and played over 62 games only once, never played 18MPG and never averaged 7PPG or 5RPG.

That's just ridiculous. I mean even Darko has produced and proven more at the NBA level, has potential, and will be making around $1.5M less per year on a shorter contract. Gooden is a proven NBA vet that can produce, even though his contract is also bloated. How Johnson and Gooden will be making more than Frye is kinda crazy too.

Edited by Nitro1118

How Johnson and Gooden will be making more than Frye is kinda crazy too.

I agree with everything that you said, but I don't know if I agree with this. I don't think it is crazy at all that these two will be making more than Frye considering that they all bring more to the table than Frye does. Frye has his niche as a marksman and he is a great shooter, but outside of shooting, what else does he really bring to the table? He is a worse defender, rebounder, shot blocker and post player than both Gooden and Johnson.

Also, Frye is in an absolutely ideal situation for himself in Phoenix. He was fading away into obscurity (averaged 12 minutes a game for Portland the season before going to Phoenix) before joining the Suns and having his career revitalized by Nash. His contract may be of nice value for the Suns, but if he is ever traded to another team, he may not have nearly as much of an impact considering his style of play, while players like Gooden and Johnson have basically the same value whever they are because of their style of play.

I don't think it is crazy that Fryle is making less than the other two (especially considering it is only a$800K difference between Frye and Johnson). They all should be making around the same at least in my opinion. I do think that all of them are overpaid by about a $1-2M though. $5M per is probably about what they are worth, maybe a bit more for Frye (offensive players always get paid more) and a bit less for Johnson, although not much.

Amir Johnson was the happiest person today at his press conference. It made me think, actually know, he'll work his [expletive]in [expletive] off to prove he is worth every penny. He's likely not but the guy is too likeable.

From Michael Grange's Twitter:

Also, for Raps fans: The best moment of Amir's press conference was when he said he was expecting to sign for $25-million.

Found that pretty funny that Johnson basically got $10M more than he was expecting to get. :lol:

I actually believe the exact comment was that he was expecting $25-30M but either way, it just goes to show that even he thought Colangelo outbid himself.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing the details of the contract laid out, it doesn't look as bas as I had first thought it was.

The deal is:

Year 1: $5,000,000

Year 2: $5,500,000

Year 3: $6,000,000

Year 4: $6,500,000

Year 5: $7,000,000

($5,000,000 of the 5th year is guaranteed).

So the deal, is actually 5 years, $30M ($28M guaranteed) with the incentives that he will likely achieve and the extra $4M comes from incentives that he will unlikely achieve.

He has a 5% trade kicker as well.

So yeah, this deal isn't nearly as bad as it looked to be on the surface. It is still a bit of an overpayment, but if Johnson continues to develop and is able to tone down his foul rate, I don't think that you can complain too much about this contract.

*waits for Jammin to come in and post "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"*