Votto extends streak of reaching base to 41 games

Cobb

CHICAGO -- Reds first baseman Joey Votto's streak of reaching base safely hit 40 games after his first-inning walk on Friday and is the longest on-base streak in the Majors this season and the longest since Ichiro Suzuki and Ryan Zimmerman both had 43-game streaks last season.

"He's not batting third in this lineup for nothing," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of Votto.

Besides helping the bottom line statistically and in the box score, Votto's consistency helps in other ways as well.

"It goes to show you how important not having Joey was last year," said Baker, referring to Votto's absence to deal with personal issues for a month. "Not that one man is all the difference, but he is a major difference on this team -- not only hitting-wise. He increases pitch counts of the other pitcher by the number of walks he gets. He also gets the pitcher in the stretch -- most starters would rather be in the windup. He can hit the ball out of the ballpark and get clutch hits."

MLB.com

If he doesn't make the All-Star game I won't be watching it this year.

MLB.com

If he doesn't make the All-Star game I won't be watching it this year.

Because one player didn't make it?

First off, what in the world makes you think he wouldn't make it?

Secondly, in all the snub possibilities and previous years snubs, Joey Votto of the Cincinnati Reds is the one that makes you not want to watch the ASG.... :rolleyes:

Secondly, in all the snub possibilities and previous years snubs, Joey Votto of the Cincinnati Reds is the one that makes you not want to watch the ASG.... :rolleyes:

I'm still going to watch the game man. No worries. I was just expressing how ridiculous it'd be if he somehow didn't make it.

lol @ taking that way too literal.

Well, I feel the same way about Josh Johnson not starting the ASG.

I could see Votto being snubbed. Probably won't happen but there are lots of really good first basemen this year. And Charlie Manuel will in all likelihood be taking Ryan Howard as one of his first basemen (whether you guys like it or not, that is how it goes...also one of the perks of winning the pennant :)). So yeah, not out of the realm of possibility.

I could see Votto being snubbed. Probably won't happen but there are lots of really good first basemen this year. And Charlie Manuel will in all likelihood be taking Ryan Howard as one of his first basemen (whether you guys like it or not, that is how it goes...also one of the perks of winning the pennant :)). So yeah, not out of the realm of possibility.

I doubt, even if Howard does get in Votto should still make it because it's being played in the AL and a DH is needed