Raptors Sign Kleiza To $20M Offer Sheet

Doc

The Raptors have signed Nuggets restricted free agent forward Linas Kleiza to a four-year, $20 million offer sheet, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports.

Kleiza terminated contract with Greece's Olympiacos Wednesday, but Denver will have seven days to match Toronto's offer.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67968/20100708/raptors_sign_kleiza_to_$20m_offer_sheet/#ixzz0t62WHb7o

Match it Denver match it!

please fire Colangelo.

Considering the way Riley took complete advantage of him, plus these ridiculous contracts being thrown around all over the place... I suppose firing him would not be such a bad idea, lol.

I'm not sure what his contract obligations are over in Europe or what his intentions of coming back to the NBA are, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this player is Linas Kleiza. The Raptors were very interested in him last season but ended up using their MLE on Jack and Kleiza wouldn't accept the LLE (which they then used on Rasho I believe), so it wouldn't shock me at all if they tried to lure him back to the NBA with a partial MLE deal. I would hope that they wouldn't use the whole MLE on him as he is not worth it, but who am I kidding, it is Colangelo so obviously the entire MLE would be used.

:o

why?

why must it be so difficult to be a raptors fan

we need a gm who loves to rebuild, then we might actually stand a chance

at least were in the running to pull a New Jersey Nets, im predicting 13 wins

Called it. :lol:

Seriously though, what the [expletive]? Why?

He won't take Beasley at $5M for one more season but he will give Kleiza $5M for 4 seasons? Both make absolutely no sense for this team but at least one of them has the potential to be more than a serviceable role player.

I hate Colangelo. I'm seriously at the point where I would rather have Rob Babcock back than have this moron running the team.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Called it. :lol:

Seriously though, what the [expletive]? Why?

He won't take Beasley at $5M for one more season but he will give Kleiza $5M for 4 seasons? Both make absolutely no sense for this team but at least one of them has the potential to be more than a serviceable role player.

I hate Colangelo. I'm seriously at the point where I would rather have Rob Babcock back than have this moron running the team.

that is a bold statement my friend, one im sure you would take back

but seriously, Colangelo's [expletive]ing up

that is a bold statement my friend, one im sure you would take back

but seriously, Colangelo's [expletive]ing up

Honestly, I'm at the point.

For all of Babcock's flaws (drafting Hoffa isn't one of them as that pick was made by the Raptors scouting staff and not him), at least he was committed to a rebuild and didn't dish out ridiculous contracts to clearly undeserving players (Kleiza and Kapono) and outbid himself on free agent signings/extensions (Johnson and arguably Bargnani and Calderon). At least he didn't cripple the team financially with terrible contracts.

If Babcock was the GM of this team instead of Colangelo for the past 4 years, this team would look drastically different. They wouldn't have a hollow division banner hanging in the ACC and a Dwight Howard raping to remember, but honestly, the worst case scenario is the Raptors are a terrible team, which is pretty much what they are right now while being capped out for the next 4 years.

This is a signing better served if we just came off a playoff appearance and Bosh was staying, otherwise it is just senseless. This practically ensures that we are going to get and use a huge TPE <_<

The Raptors are just getting players so they dont do completely horrible.

The four-year, $18.8 million offer sheet that the Raptors signed restricted free agent Linas Kleiza to earlier this week is front-loaded, according to Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.

Kleiza said the first year of the offer is worth $5 million, a move made by Toronto to keep Denver from matching the offer.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68018/20100709/raptors_offer_to_kleiza_is_front_loaded/#ixzz0tDpzQfe5

How highly does Denver value Kleiza? I'm really not liking this as it is looking more and more likely that the Nuggets aren't going to match this offer sheet.

On the bright side though, at least the contract would be front loaded and decrease as time goes on. It will be unpleasent for the first year or two, but at least it won't be increasing along with Calderon, Turkoglu and Bargnani's contracts creating even more of a cap hell for the Raptors.

Denver won't match, which was pretty much a given after their signing of Al Harrignton, but it sounds like it is official.

The Denver Nuggets won't match the four-year, $18.8 million offer sheet Toronto has put down on restricted free-agent forward Linas Kleiza.

"It was intimated to us that they won't match,'' Kleiza's agent, Bill Duffy, told FanHouse on Thursday night. "He's ecstatic.''

"I respect that organization,'' Duffy said of Denver. "But (Kleiza) felt very strongly about playing in Toronto. He's very excited. He loves the international dynamics of the team (Kleiza is from Lithuania), and will battle for a starting job (with Toronto small forward Hedo Turkoglu having been traded to Phoenix).''

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/16/nuggets-wont-match-offer-sheet-on-linas-kleiza/

This deal is looking a lot better now that Turkoglu is out of the picture as he will play a pretty large role on the team and won't be buried on the bench and only play backup minutes behind Turkoglu. It also doesn't mean that Weems and/or Belinelli won't be completely buried on the bench because if Turkoglu was still on the team and Kleiza was brought in it would've drastically reduced the roles of these two. Call me crazy for thinking this, but I still think that Beli can be a solid player.

It is always nice to get players that actually want to be in Toronto as wel. He made it pretty clear that he wanted to be in Toronto, especially when he straight up said in that one interview that he hoped Denver didn't match. :lol: