Can the Cavs Make the Playoffs?

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before I get into this, I want you to know that in no way am I saying they will get a top four seed. I'll give a .1% chance they get the 5 or 6 seed. But can they get the 7-8 seed in the playoffs?

Let's look at the potential rotation for next year:

Mo Williams/Sebastian Telfair/Daniel Gibson

Free Agent/Anthony Parker/Manny Harris

Antawn Jamison/Jamario Moon

JJ Hickson/Leon Powe

Free Agent/Anderson Verajao

You still got Danny Green somehow in there.

So right now, they're talking about getting Josh Childress and possibly using that trade exception to get maybe Al Jefferson, who Minny has made clear that want to get rid of.

Let's say they get one of them. Say, they get Al Jefferson. Now they have Manny Harris and Jerome Dyson on their summer team, so say one of those guys can emerge.

This is what you are looking at: You've got an above average point guard who like it or not, was an all-star no matter how he got there. You have Jamison. You may say he's out of his prime, and he very well may be. However, he still has the talent when you look at this lineup to be a 20 ppg scorer. At the SF position, I think he'd be more comfortable given his size. So, you have a couple of scorers that you know can put up points. Jamison has the ability to put up 30 on any given night. I'm pretty sure he did it a few times last year so don't say he's a subpar veteran.

They have one year to use the trade exception, so they'll obviously use it now. They can use it to get Al Jefferson.

If they can add Big Al, does that change your opinions on if they can make it?

Say if you think they can make it or not, and say what you think the roster will look like.

Remember something important here: Byron Scott is the new coach of this team.

Edited by The New Beginning

Is this a joke? LeBrons true importance will be witnessed first hand here. The Cavs will go from the 60+ win team they were with LeBron and go to a 30 win team at best. That is how important LeBron was to the Cavs. This team doesn't have a guy like Pau Gasol to carry the team when LeBron struggled(or in this case won't play). Jamison and Mo Williams are not stars and when your relying on them to carry the team your in trouble.

Also Al Jefferson is a loser. Have fun being the Pacers for the next few years if your plan falls through where you are never good enough to make the playoffs, but never bad enough to get a star in the draft.

I think they can. They are going to get someone new in there this off-season, as made apparent by Dan Gilbert. It just depends who its costs. I think they need Mo to keep the offense in tact and for someone Scott can command a brand-new offense with, although his style doesn't really fit the system. In fact, a lot of guys aren't going to work well in the offense I think, but I don't like the idea of getting rid of Varejao unless he goes in a package for someone worth the loss. I think he adds energy to the team and is valuable on the glass. Plus I like the idea of him on the fast break. Delonte would work decently on the fast break, but I don't see him staying around for much longer.

As for the playoffs, I think the bottom of the East is too weak to contend, especially if they get some meat from a team in their conference. But honestly, I would rather see them clear up cap space for next year's free agent selection. It's not going to be as strong as this years, but they will have the money to attract the fourth best player in the market, especially an egotistical player looking to shine on his own.

The bottom of the East is going to be terrible next season so it is definitely possible. The Magic, Heat, Celtics, Hawks and Bulls are clearly locks for the playoffs. The Bucks will most likely be a playoff team next season as well. That leaves the 7 and 8 seeds wide open. I would imagine that the Bobcats will get one of those spots assuming they play the same way that they did last season but that 8th seed is wide open. There really isn't a whole lot seperating the rest of the East. It wouldn't surprise me at all if any one of the remaining teams in the East snuck into the playoffs wit the exception of probably the Wizards and Pistons.

I can defintiely see the 8th place team having a record of 10+ games under .500 though this season. The top teams in the East are defintiely going to be beating up on the bottom teams and I think a team may sneak into the playoffs with a record of something like 35-47. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the Cavs to be able to get a record around there assuming they make good use of their TPE.