John Wall makes Summer League debut tonight

I only watched the 4th quarter, and from what I saw, he seemed too focused on McGee and less so on the rest of his teammates. His dishes to McGee did not impress me. Those type of guys are very easy to find assists, especially when there isn't a center of similar size that knows how to stop him.

Right now, Wall seems to only know one speed, which is not a good thing. He has to learn how to keep the defenders off balance by changing speeds, catching defenders off guard, and making himself less predictable. He forces drives too much, and constantly hopes the refs will bail him out, instead finding other means to create space.

He lacks craftiness, ball control, change of speed, and overall decision making.

As I said. He's got a lot to learn.

I think your over analyzing things. You said you only watched one quarter of his debut game. He will be fine, he's got all the physical tools, and a great basketball mind.

I never remember Rondo, or Al Jefferson impressing people in these leagues either.

He lacks craftiness, ball control, change of speed, and overall decision making.

Lol what? What game were you watching? Did you even watch the NCAA tourney or any Kentucky games last year? John Wall is known for all of those things...

Lol what? What game were you watching? Did you even watch the NCAA tourney or any Kentucky games last year? John Wall is known for all of those things...

From the quarter I watched, he had none of those things. Not at the NBA level, to say the least.

a great basketball mind.

He had 8 turnovers and did an absolutely horrible job seeing the floor. His vision was completely limited to a single player. I don't think he assisted the ball to anyone else except JaVale McGee.

The interview showed a willingness to improve, and he does a good job remembering what the coaches tell him. Until who shows it on the court, I'm going to stick to what I said about his "bad brain".

I understand that he's just a kid. He will improve.

Edited by Poe

I know I'm assuming a lot from such a small amount of time watching him, but it appears to me that his best position in the NBA won't be as a point guard. He is not a pure point guard whatsoever, and he doesn't have a good feel of controlling the offense. His court vision is limited and he has a score-first mentality.

Like Allen Iverson and Dwyane Wade, I think the NBA is going to realize he is best used at the 2. And like the 2 guys I mentioned, it will probably take a full year for his coach to realize it.

Edited by Poe

Poe, for an intelligent poster you are really overanalyzing whatever you saw. It was his very first professional game and he was nervous as hell. He still racked up 8 assists, and he can easily learn how to avoid the turnovers at the next level. He also scored very efficiently from the field and never seemed to force any shots.

You can't possibly judge how someone's NBA career is going to be by watching less than one quarter of their first NBA Summer League game... Let's be real here.

I guess I'll talk about game 2 against the Clips here.

John Wall- Still needs to take care of the ball, there was a few times where he lost control, others when teammates weren't paying attention, and the rest off of simply steals. He looked good shooting the ball, that impressed me. Phil Chenier talked a lot about his obsession with the elbow jumper, and I love it too. He loves to penetrate, cross over, and pull up for that midrange game, I think it'll work in the NBA. He didn't focus on McGee as much tonight, and looked for others like Nick Young, Cartier Martin, etc. Very solid performance by Wall.

Nick Young- He's in his contract year, he looks serious out there, and isn't smiling on the court. I love it. He needs to stay focused and determined, I want him to go on a "mean streak" and play with a chip on his shoulder.

Trevor Booker- Good job running the floor, good job rebounding, and overall made an impact on defense.

Cartier Martin and Lester Hudson- I really hope they make the team. With Hilton Armstrong signing a one year deal with us, we officially have beefed up the front line, now it's time to focus on the wings. Lester is a good defender, very tenacious, and loves to go for the steal. Also is a very good hustler. Cartier played well for us in 8 games last year, he has a good outside shot, but isn't a good slasher. I think he'll do well off the bench for us, just needs to work on consistency.

He's really gotta learn to take care of the ball more, 8 turnovers in 2 consecutive games is really disappointing. But, we still dominated the Clippers so he was definitely doing something right. I love how he would draw in a double team when he drove in and would pass it out to the wide open perimeter shooters, whether it be Nick Young or Cartier Martin. That man just has an eye for the court. I loved his shot selection too, and he is a killer in that elbow jumper. I can tell he's really been working on his mid range shot.

As for Trevor Booker, I'm very impressed with him. He got called for a lot of BS fouls, but overall I loved his aggression and toughness, something this team has been lacking for a long time. He is the beast this team needs.

I'm hoping we sign Lester Hudson, that guy can flat out ball. He'd be a great addition to the bench. I'm 50/50 on Cartier Martin, but he could definitely add some depth to the small forward position, something we have very few of.

:wub:

...just had to say that haha. I usually check in to read, just never find the time to post. I'm sure I will once the season starts though.

Another great game by "ER" or whatever they said his nickname was. 21 points, 10 assists, 7 boards...in limited time again. His outside shot was way off though today, but he only had 3 turnovers which really got me excited (and only 1 of them was his fault so that's great). This guy is the real deal. His defense is absolutely PHENOMENAL.