Hedo for Barbosa?

LAS VEGAS - The Suns are on the verge of acquiring forwards Hedo Turkoglu and Josh Childress, swiftly rebounding from the loss of Amar'e Stoudemire with two quality impact players.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/07/11/20100711phoenix-suns-acquire-hedo-turkoglu-josh-childress.html#ixzz0tR1H8pD0

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/07/11/20100711phoenix-suns-acquire-hedo-turkoglu-josh-childress.html

PLEASE.

• Owner

Wow, Phoenix is taking on a ridiculous contract. Maybe they need Kerr after all.

Of course, I don't think Barbosa is a better player, but Hedo was signed up until 2014. That's ugly.

Hedo in Phoenix is even worse than Toronto from his perspective, especially with Bosh gone, hahaha, Nash holds the ball more and Hedo would hold it even less than he did here.

So Hedo doesn't fit with the Suns because of Nash?? Okay :lol:

Source confirms Suns' huge 1-2 punch Sun. night: acquiring Hedo Turkoglu from TOR 4 Barbosa and s/t with ATL for Josh Childress. Story soon.

And Poe you clearly don't know what makes Hedo a potentially effective player, I'll give you a hint, it isn't his spot up shooting.

• Owner

Hedo in Phoenix is even worse than Toronto from his perspective, especially with Bosh gone, hahaha, Nash holds the ball more and Hedo would hold it even less than he did here.

Well, maybe. I think Gentry will put the ball in his hands a bit more than we can expect. Nash is getting to that point where he's going to need Shaq-like rest, and Phoenix is looking for a third point guard already. Almost makes you think Dragic will be starting in two years.

And maybe he doesn't handle the ball much. He's not shy. He will shoot all day, especially when those threes are wide open. Could be a good trade for the Suns as much as it is for Toronto.

Well, maybe. I think Gentry will put the ball in his hands a bit more than we can expect. Nash is getting to that point where he's going to need Shaq-like rest, and Phoenix is looking for a third point guard already. Almost makes you think Dragic will be starting in two years.

And maybe he doesn't handle the ball much. He's not shy. He will shoot all day, especially when those threes are wide open. Could be a good trade for the Suns as much as it is for Toronto.

Maybe, but Hedo isn't a great 3 point shooter and has always been at his best running off screens with the ball in his hands, not spotting up from 3... him at the 4 is going to be very interesting as well (if that does happen). Hedo is going to have to come into camp in shape this year for sure though, playing in a system like that.

Gambo620 Turkoglu agrees to waive $5.25 million of $6.5 million trade kicker. Turkoglu is under contract for next 4 years at roughly $42 million

This is awesome. Now this means our starting 5 will be something like Bargnani-Davis-Weems-Demar-Jack... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Owner

Maybe, but Hedo isn't a great 3 point shooter and has always been at his best running off screens with the ball in his hands, not spotting up from 3... him at the 4 is going to be very interesting as well (if that does happen). Hedo is going to have to come into camp in shape this year for sure though, playing in a system like that.

Hedo has shot over 38% for his career at the three, shot over 37% 3PT last season. That's pretty decent.

The Suns are going to run the life out of teams. They will play Hedo at the four, Warrick at the three, and cruise down the court.

C - Lopez

PF - Turkoglu

SF - Warrick

SG - Richardson

PG - Nash

Not that bad, but I'm not sure about a .500 season. The shooters will have to make their shots, that's for sure. If they do, that's dangerous poison for Steve Nash to work with.

I have a renewed faith in Colangelo now

like was stated above, Raps arent gonna win many games, but this makes them more athletic and they will be fun to watch.

Its not like they were gonna win much with Hedo anyway, and getting rid of that contract makes them in a much better position financially.

PLUS, with Calderon and Barbosa (or weems) coming off the bench, we will have solid depth to make teams hustle all game.

very happy with this, fingers crossed it goes down.

I like it for both sides. Raptors get their wish in trading Hedo and Phoenix gets a guy who was averaging nearly 20 PPG 3 seasons ago. He is still only 31 so I do not believe that his decrease in PPG the following seasons is due to aging. Suns is still an interesting team to watch in my books.

And Poe you clearly don't know what makes Hedo a potentially effective player, I'll give you a hint, it isn't his spot up shooting.

Lol, bro. If you think NASH is a reason why a player can't do well on offense on his team... then I don't know what else to say.

And Hedo isn't a spot up shooter?? Do you watch basketball?

This can only be good if Hedo goes back to his Orlando days, which is possible. I'm glad Barbosa is gone, his contract was just as horrible as Hedo's is. Barbosa hasn't had 1 good game since 2007 so have fun with him, Raptor fans.

Lol, bro. If you think NASH is a reason why a player can't do well on offense on his team... then I don't know what else to say.

His point was that Turkoglu complained this past season about not handling the ball enough with Jose Calderon and Jarrett Jack as the point guards. They had USG% of 17.9 and 19.1 respectively and their AST% was 33.8 and 27.7 respectively. Steve Nash's USG% was 22.9 and his AST% was 50.9. If he was complaining about not getting the ball enough with Jack and Calderon as the point guards, he might not be all that happy with Nash considering Nash is more ball dominant than both of those two by a fairly considerable margin.

The Suns could be getting Turkoglu in hopes of relieving some of the pressure off of Nash and relieve him of some ball handling duties in hopes of keeping him fresh, but if Nash is as ball dominant as he has been in the past, it isn't ridiculous at all to think that Turkoglu may not be too thrilled with playing alongside him. He has made it pretty clear that he wants the ball in his hands and wants it often.

And yeah, Turkoglu isn't all that great as a spot up shooter. He is much better at shooting after putting the ball on the floor, off of the pick and roll or coming off an off the ball screen. In terms of simply spotting up behind the arc and waiting for a pass, Turkoglu isn't nearly as effective as a shooter. I'm not saying he is terrible, but he is better at shooting off of the dribble or off of movement rather than simply spotting up.

I love the fact that you are throwing out the "do you watch basketball" remark though. How many Raptor games did you actually watch this season and how do you think that compares to the amount that travesy watched?

As for the trade, all I care about is the fact that Barbosa is making $7.1M this season and $7.6M next season. I honestly couldn't care less if he plays one minute for the Raptors considering the much better contract he has in comparision to Turkoglu's. If he manages to become that Sixth Man of the Year candidate again, awesome, but I really don't what he does on the floor.

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the dumbest one of all.

Also please go back and re-read my post, I clearly said from HIS perspective, he won't have the ball in his hands as much as he typically wants (POINT FORWARD), which was his big problem in Toronto. And while he is a solid shooter, he isn't at his best as a spot up shooter, that is not his ideal role at all.

Edited by travesy3

Nash, Gentry, and the Suns team in general have a history of bringing the most out of their key players offensively. USG% doesn't mean much to me at this point because we haven't seen how Nash will adjust playing next to Turkoglu.

My reasons for believing he'll do fine playing with Nash should obviously be because Nash almost always does a terrific job bringing the most out of his teammates (maybe to the exception of Shaq, who simply didn't fit in the Suns style offense). Nash isn't Calderon you know, and Gentry isn't Triano. They'll find a way to make it work.

And I find it hard to believe that Turkoglu isn't a good spot up shooter when he shot 38% from the arc for his career. Shooting is definitely a strength of Hedo. You can't tell me it isn't. Off the catch or dribble.

I love the fact that you are throwing out the "do you watch basketball" remark though. How many Raptor games did you actually watch this season and how do you think that compares to the amount that travesy watched?

My mom has watched many more Heat games than you have the past two years. However, her knowledge of basketball is very limited. Her analysis of games go as far as "this guy made his shots and this guy didn't". Who do you believe knows more about the Heat, you or my mom? And who has watched more games?

When someone says that Turkoglu can't shoot and he is going to suck more in Phoenix than he did in Toronto because of NASH of all people, the complete opposite of what both players are known for, then yea... I'm going to deeply question his basketball knowledge.

Edited by Poe

Nash, Gentry, and the Suns team in general have a history of bringing the most out of their key players offensively. USG% doesn't mean much to me at this point because we haven't seen how Nash will adjust playing next to Turkoglu.

My reasons for believing he'll do fine playing with Nash should obviously be because Nash almost always does a terrific job bringing the most out of his teammates (maybe to the exception of Shaq, who simply didn't fit in the Suns style offense). Nash isn't Calderon you know, and Gentry isn't Triano. They'll find a way to make it work.

And I find it hard to believe that Turkoglu isn't a good spot up shooter when he shot 38% from the arc for his career. Shooting is definitely a strength of Hedo. You can't tell me it isn't. Off the catch or dribble.

I wasn't implying that Turkoglu won't be able to play alongside Nash because I don't think it is possible for a player to play alongside Nash and not play up to their capabilities or beyond. I was simply pointing out that Turkoglu was upset about not handling the ball enough this past season and he is going to a team with a more ball dominant point guard so it is understandable why somebody would think that Turkoglu might not exactly be thrilled playing with Nash. I don't think it will be that much of a problem considering Nash is a much, much better player than either Calderon or Jack and will get Turkoglu the ball more, but it is a valid question, at least as far as I am concerned.

I never said that Turkoglu isn't a good spot up shooter, I was saying that he is more effective at shooting off of the bounce, off of a screen and roll situation or coming off of an off the ball screen. I didn't say that he was terrible as a spot up shooter but he isn't a great spot up shooter either, which is exactly why I said so I don't get why you are acting like I called him a terrible shooter or something.

My mom has watched many more Heat games than you have the past two years. However, her knowledge of basketball is very limited. Her analysis of games go as far as "this guy made his shots and this guy didn't". Who do you believe knows more about the Heat, you or my mom? And who has watched more games?

When someone says that Turkoglu can't shoot and he is going to suck more in Phoenix than he did in Toronto because of NASH of all people, the complete opposite of what both players are known for, then yea... I'm going to deeply question his basketball knowledge.

By the sounds of it, travesy knows a lot more about basketball than your mom though. You may not like the guy or see eye-to-eye with him, but to basically flat out say that he knows nothing about basketball simply because you two seem to clash about everything is pretty sad. I don't agree with you on everything but you won't see me throw out comments like that simply because I share a difference of opinion as you do.

And travesy never said Turkoglu can't shoot nor did he say that he is going to suck in Phoenix because of NASH. He said that Turkoglu isn't as effective as a spot up shooter than he is with the ball in his hands, which is pretty much a fact and he said that if he was unhappy with his lack of a ball handling role in Toronto than he may hate playing for the Suns considering how ball dominant Nash is.

You are reading into mine and travesy's comments too much here and you are trying to jump to conclusions that simply aren't there.