Eleven types of obnoxious basketball fans on the Internet

Lkr

I’ve been managing blogs and message boards for over a decade now and I’ve been interacting with NBA fans online for the past eight years, so I’ve learned that basketball fans on the Internet can typically be labeled with at least one of the following 11 categories. While I’m singling out the Internet with these labels, I’m well aware that they could also apply to people who call into sports talk radio shows. However, I don’t personally listen to those shows because if I wanted to hear random [expletive]s blowing hot air, I’d attend a chili cook-off.

If you think you don’t fit into at least one of these categories, you’re either the only perfect basketball fan on the planet, or you’re lying to yourself. I will readily admit to being guilty of up to six of these offences, but I won’t tell you which ones until the end of this post.

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2010/07/16/eleven-types-of-obnoxious-basketball-fans-on-the-internet/

So the eleven types are...

1. The Homer

2. The Pessimist

3. The Player-Hater

4. The Stan

5. The Tanker

6. The Statistical Manipulator

7. The Trade Machine Maniac

8. The Conspiracy Theorist

9. The Rabid Nationalist

10. The Casual Racist

11. The LeBron/Kobe/Jordan Obsessive

Let's see...

I'm a Heat homer. I'm a pessimist to other teams like the Magic. I really hate Marc Blount and Ricky Davis. I love Dorell Wright and Udonis Haslem even though they are just role players, and I would have been just as happy if the Heat kept both players as getting LeBron James. I may not be a tanker, but I am the anti-tanker. I use stats only favorable to my argument, yet say in other topics that simple stats are overrated and really don't mean much. I don't actually think the game is rigged, but I'll joke about it pretty often. I am all for Minnesota giving Darko a chance, even though it seems that most analysts think its a useless experiment. I don't think having more than 1 white guy starting on a team is a successful strategy. And I constantly argue that Kobe Bryant is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not a trade machine maniac. I guess I missed out on the Worst Fan of All Time award :(

I dont know which one I am, I dont fit under any of them.

Player-Hater (Kobe), Rabid Nationalist (Motiejunas), and Casual Racist (Chase Budinger).

Only slightly in each, though. Not extreme or annoying as a fan. You say you only hate Kobe because of the Kobe Obsessive and the mass amount of Laker homers, and you don't talk about Chase too much, but I know you like him because he's a white guy that can actually jump.

Edited by Poe

Player-Hater (Kobe), Rabid Nationalist (Motiejunas), and Casual Racist (Chase Budinger).

Only slightly in each, though. Not extreme or annoying as a fan. You say you only hate Kobe because of the Kobe Obsessive and the mass amount of Laker homers, and you don't talk about Chase too much, but I know you like him because he's a white guy that can actually jump.

Thats what I was thinking but I dont fit the whole description in any of them, and I think Chase is a beast.

I don't really fit any of these.

If Wade would have left, I would have been a Stan and supported him only no matter what team he went to, while still being a Heat fan. Thankfully, that didn't happen lol

I'm a bit of a few of these.

Homer - obviously every fan is a bit of a homer

The player hater - Lebron but now not so much since everyone hates him

The tanker - it was only for last season though

It would be interesting to see how many Laker fans there would be if Kobe actually got dealt in that year he demanded the trade.... I think he is stanned upon more than any other NBA player... there are more 'Kobe fans' than any other player.

I think everyone falls under each of the categories at least once in a while, it is hard to root for your team and argue while at the same time always being 100% impartial and not a homer.

You can most definitely sign me up in that tanker category this year. Also this entire board is pretty much an LBJ player hater, it is kind of funny actually.