Cousins = Nene

Cousins = Nene

You heard it here first. I'm amused by many so called experts saying the teams picking 2-4 would have their GMs fired for not choosing Cousins... and Cousins > Favors... Cousins will be this and that after some summer league games.

All I see is a big man who has skills without a doubt but I can see through to his inconsistency, his lack of persistence to push himself to be great, to constantly box out and rebound. The guy loves to pass just like Nene, when he's supposed to be aggressive... both have all the talent to average 20 pts but lack inspirations to enhance their moves in the paint.

When the 2010-11 season ends, I'll bump this thread... you'll see identical stats to Nene. He will be a career 13 and 8 player...

Edited by Snake

Cousins = Nene

You heard it here first. I'm amused by many so called experts saying the teams picking 2-4 would have their GMs fired for not choosing Cousins... and Cousins > Favors... Cousins will be this and that after some summer league games.

All I see is a big man who has skills without a doubt but I can see through to his inconsistency, his lack of persistence to push himself to be great, to constantly box out and rebound. The guy loves to pass just like Nene, when he's supposed to be aggressive... both have all the talent to average 20 pts but lack inspirations to enhance their moves in the paint.

When the 2010-11 season ends, I'll bump this thread... you'll see identical stats to Nene. He will be a career 13 and 8 player...

How about no? How about he will be a 20/12 player, and will be nothing like Nene?

• Owner

They are nothing alike. Cousins will have a better jumper, already has better positioning on the boards, and...well, there's nothing to compare.

As far as what he will be like in a year, that's a big statement considering he hasn't played a single NBA game yet.

More people will remember Cousins at the end of his career, versus those remembering Nene.

It's tough to make a statement about a player until you see him play an actual NBA game. I already made myself look bad by talking about Wall after just watching him play one quarter in a summer league game. I'll wait to show my own opinion about Cousins... when I actually see him play at the level we are comparing him to.

• Like 1

First of all.. you're really underrating Cousins. Right now, as I see him playing so far, he's way better then Nene. And we can't compare him to any NBA until you actually see him playing a NBA game as Poe said it

• Like 1

First of all.. you're really underrating Cousins. Right now, as I see him playing so far, he's way better then Nene. And we can't compare him to any NBA until you actually see him playing a NBA game as Poe said it

You just completely contradicted yourself. First you say he's way better than Nene, who is a proven starting center in the NBA. Then you say you can't compare him to anyone in the NBA because he hasn't played in a legit professional game yet.

You can't compare rookies to any NBA player until you have seen how they perform against legitimate competition. Summer league does not count, which is why I'm not trying to get too excited over how John Wall will do in his first year.

• Like 1

Cousins = Poor mans Kevin Mchale in a more compact Shaq body.

He will career average roughly on my prediction of 22ppg 9-10 rpg and round 2bpg .. I don't think he will shoot as high a percentage as Mchale but he has the long arms and rebounding ability to be a consistent 10rpg+ player. His body will make his game differ a bit from Mchales but yeh I just see him as a 'little' less offensive scoring Mchale.

Yup you guys are no more different than the so called experts who say Cousins is diz and dat :)

People compared Nene to Shawn Kemp in a Karl Malone body back then lmfao...

Actually Nene is not a terrible comparison, he has the skills and talent to average 20 and 10 if he wants to. Does he want to? No. He claims he is not a selfish player and likes to play basketball if it means passing or scoring, but thing is everyone suspects he just doesn't want the responsibility that comes with being a 20 and 10 guy. Attitude and mind control your destiny, I see Nene's and Cousins' are very alike.

• Owner

Haha, yes, because the entire Denver Nuggets team could win a championship...if they wanted to.

You've said the same thing about Carmelo, and I believe JR Smith as well. Afflalo could be a 15 PPG scorer, if he wanted to...right?

So, basically, if they all wanted to play...they would, and they would be a dynasty. We know.

^I mean, those closely follow the Nuggets which by your post means you do not, know Nene has it to average 20 and 10 if he wants to.

Even Doug Collins commented everytime during Nugget games that he could average 20 and 10... every Nugget game... when Nene touched the ball, he would go on about this. Cmon man... I'm not here saying Joey Graham could average 20 and 10.

If you don't see Nene having the ability to average 20 and 10, then you don't have "it" to see beyond just stats...

The same way when I said Gallinari was more than just a shooter, that he was an excellent passer and defender. But you kept saying he was just a shooter/ scorer. I also said Westbrook would be drafted #4 by Thunder before the OTR mock came out... and when everyone was like arguing the Bulls should pick Beasley... I said Rose was the clear-cut choice and Beasley's attitude would have negative impact on his career... I still remember (since he's from Kansas State) you defended Beasley when I said Rose would be much much better than Beasley.

I WAS RRRRRIGHT :)

But just saying, this guy will be no more than Nene let's bump it every month... you guys can mock me if Cousins turns to be a stud... but I'm predicting 13 and 8 for his career.

Edited by Snake

• Owner

Since Beasley was from K-State, I was defending him? Haha, I absolutely HATE the Kansas Staten Wildcats and everything about them. You're definitely wrong there.

I'm not sure why you're bragging about all of that. How did your "fearless prediction" turn out, when the Lakers were supposed to lose to Boston in five games?

Please, dude.

^I was saying Rose was the clear cut choice and it wasn't close, and people thought I was crazy cuz at the time, Beasley and Rose were neck to neck... and not until the draft did Andy Katz break down that Bulls were gonna select D-Rose.

You loved everything about Kansas, your love for Hinrich and Collison is unparalleled anywhere lol... so it's only natural for you to kinda jump in and defended Beasley... I was saying his on-court attitude could impact negatively and you said something like judging a player by his attitude is BS and he's gonna be fine

I was also saying Jordan Hill would be a bust

Boston ran out of gas in Finals... I guess I predicted individuals better than teams

• Owner

You loved everything about Kansas, your love for Hinrich and Collison is unparalleled anywhere lol... so it's only natural for you to kinda jump in and defended Beasley... I was saying his on-court attitude could impact negatively and you said something like judging a player by his attitude is BS and he's gonna be fine

LMAO, I never said that.

For one, Manhattan (K-State) isn't even in Kansas, in my opinion. It's a black hole in the Earth. Beasley can still be a good player, whatever, but I never said I loved him or his game, or the Wildcats. Hate everything about them, their city, and I can't stand most of their fans.

Hinrich and Collison, Chalmers, all of those guys...they are Jayhawks. Different planet.

I remember saying Derrick Rose had the potential to be an excellent player, and it was evident when Calipari let him go at KU hard for 20 minutes, and he was killing us. What I said to you was that you shouldn't judge him so quickly as a current NBA player, because you were telling us he was already the most athletic player in the history of the game, and that was before he even played a single minute in the league.

And, well, you're doing it again...except now, you're really putting your neck out there. While it was easier to say Rose is the most athletic player of all-time (because he ranks up there, but he's not) or to say he's going to be one of the best point guards in the league, you're comparing Cousins (who has yet to play a single pro game) to Nene (who Cousins doesn't really play like).

Comparing stats? Okay...you can get away with that. Comparing games? No. Big difference.

^I was saying Rose was the clear cut choice and it wasn't close, and people thought I was crazy cuz at the time, Beasley and Rose were neck to neck... and not until the draft did Andy Katz break down that Bulls were gonna select D-Rose.

Beasley was the best player not in the NBA for 90% of the season until Rose went off on Texas in the tourney and then people started getting on the Memphis bandwagon. Michael Beasley used to be the first option on an AAU team that featured Kevin Durant when they were in HS.

Had Michael gone to another team besides Miami I think the conversation would be much different right now. He just wasn't cut out for how the organization does things down here and I understand his frustrations in regards to PT and all that.

You guys are doing everything on stats...

Was KD the first overall pick in 2007 because he had unbelievable stats? No. Greg Oden was selected 1st.

What did MJ's stats look like? Not pretty.

Just because Beasley had unbelievable stats in college doesn't mean he's gonna have unbelievable career in NBA...

Why can't I compare players' games? You have a "Player Comparison" sub-forum on your own site... does it say "use stats only"? No... you can compare players' games. What's wrong with that?

If you see stats as the only measurement how a player is going to perform, then your analysis is limited. You will have to be able to observe the game outside stats also... such as the player's ability to make everything seem easy, the difficulty he gets his shots off, the ease in the way he drives past his defenders or solving the defenses. When you see Kevin Durant, the way he creates his shots is just so effortless... then compare that to the likes of DeShawn Stevenson.

Two big men in Nene and Cousins... two very similar physiques and games:

- Both are big, strong and thick (although Cousins is a good 1-2" taller)

- Both have soft hands, can shoot, can pass and have soft touch around the paint

- Both have solid post moves but both lack inspirations to do them consistently and improve

- Both lack consistency in aggressiveness in attacking the basket, in boxing out for the rebounds

- Both are too pass happy when they are supposed to attack the damn basket <__< (esp Nene)

Why can't I compare them? I made my analysis of Rose, Westbrook and Beasley, and Jordan Hill (I thought he'd be a stiff when people were saying he's a top 6 pick) before they played a single NBA game... also I said Tyreke Evans is a mini LeBron James in that he drives from end to end with similar dribbling and finishing styles.

If you keep doing everything on stats, then of course you will not be able to "predict" or see beyond just the present. You will keep saying "you can't... because he hasn't played a game"... you have limited boundaries. But to each his own :)

If you say I can't compare Cousins to Nene because the former has not played a single NBA game yet, well this is what this thread is for, to let you know Snake says this first :D

Edited by Snake

Was KD the first overall pick in 2007 because he had unbelievable stats? No. Greg Oden was selected 1st.

What did MJ's stats look like? Not pretty.

Oden was selected 1st because of his potential to be an elite Center, the easiest position to build a contender around. And since when is MJ's final season in college statline of 20/5 on 55% not pretty?

Anyway, I'll actually back Snake up a bit on this...I know where he's coming from. Nene is extremely talented and has a similar body to Cousins. However, I have two problems with the comparison he made-

1) Cousins played on a Kentucky team with Wall dominating the ball. In college big men that can play the post are always under-utilized, and it is a totally different style of play. To say he's going to be passive in the post and not make the most of his offensive talent in the NBA just because he was coached that way in college isn't a great conclusion to draw. He's the only go-to post player on the Kings (Landry has a decent post arsenal but he's not a guy you consistently feed to in the post). He'll get his chance to get a lot of post touches and start to reach his potential, which is the beauty of being on such a young Sacramento team. I really think he'll be a great post scorer once he gets comfortable in the system; he is a lot more polished than I thought he was.

2) Cousins has a much better repetoire in the post than Nene and utilizes it a lot more. That's the big difference in their play. Nene has a lot of talent but doesn't have as much skill in the post that Cousins has. Cousins has the potential to be an ELITE big man in this game. Nene had potential, but not to be a go-to scorer for a team. Cousins does. Sacramento knows this and will utilize him as such.

Yup you guys are no more different than the so called experts who say Cousins is diz and dat :)

People compared Nene to Shawn Kemp in a Karl Malone body back then lmfao...

Actually Nene is not a terrible comparison, he has the skills and talent to average 20 and 10 if he wants to. Does he want to? No. He claims he is not a selfish player and likes to play basketball if it means passing or scoring, but thing is everyone suspects he just doesn't want the responsibility that comes with being a 20 and 10 guy. Attitude and mind control your destiny, I see Nene's and Cousins' are very alike.

so Nene is so unselfish he leaves rebounds? lol that makes no sense. he could averaged 10 Rebounds, but he's so unselfish he chooses not to?

so Nene is so unselfish he leaves rebounds? lol that makes no sense. he could averaged 10 Rebounds, but he's so unselfish he chooses not to?

What he means is in some cases there is chances where he can rebound it himself but he lets others take it, I have seen Yao Ming do that a lot too.

Oden was selected 1st because of his potential to be an elite Center, the easiest position to build a contender around. And since when is MJ's final season in college statline of 20/5 on 55% not pretty?

Anyway, I'll actually back Snake up a bit on this...I know where he's coming from. Nene is extremely talented and has a similar body to Cousins. However, I have two problems with the comparison he made-

1) Cousins played on a Kentucky team with Wall dominating the ball. In college big men that can play the post are always under-utilized, and it is a totally different style of play. To say he's going to be passive in the post and not make the most of his offensive talent in the NBA just because he was coached that way in college isn't a great conclusion to draw. He's the only go-to post player on the Kings (Landry has a decent post arsenal but he's not a guy you consistently feed to in the post). He'll get his chance to get a lot of post touches and start to reach his potential, which is the beauty of being on such a young Sacramento team. I really think he'll be a great post scorer once he gets comfortable in the system; he is a lot more polished than I thought he was.

2) Cousins has a much better repetoire in the post than Nene and utilizes it a lot more. That's the big difference in their play. Nene has a lot of talent but doesn't have as much skill in the post that Cousins has. Cousins has the potential to be an ELITE big man in this game. Nene had potential, but not to be a go-to scorer for a team. Cousins does. Sacramento knows this and will utilize him as such.

I'm just gonna say you're not following Nene/ Nuggets closely...

Nene has the ability to average 20 and 10. But if you see when he has the ball he likes to give it up when he's supposed to be aggressive. It's not like he's overwhelmed by defenses like Kwame Brown or other big scrubs... but it's that he gives the ball up with too much frequency that he will never become a 20 ppg scorer.

Cousins had Wall, Nene has had Melo, Camby (shot chucker), Andre Miller (underrated shot chucker), Chauncey Billups (sneaky shot chucker), J.R. Smith (should I even start).

If you guys think I'm being delusional, watch more Nugget games. Too bad Doug Collins has taken Sixers job, if he had stayed with TNT, whenever he comments Nugget games, he will say the same thing every time, when Nene has the ball, that he has the ability to average 20 and 10, but he just doesn't have the mentality. George Karl also wants the team to give the ball to Nene... and Nene also says he wants more touches... but the idiot (I'm just pissed) passes when he gets the ball. Apparently when he says "I want more touches" means he just likes to touch it, but doesn't mean he would score... damn it... sometimes I wonder why he's so sissy when he can do this...

Nene over Yao (sorry Yugo lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7oVqgdp_EY

Three straight dunks!

On Amare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuEX_DRVoOo&NR=1

On Lee

On Booz

You will see the reason why Nene should average 20 and 10 is not only because he's skilled, but also that he (along with Boozer and Jermaine O'Neal) are the bigs with serious skills that are ambidextrous, being able to use both hands fluidly. It's arguable that he uses his left better than his right. He dunks with right or left with so much ease.

What's more the three straight dunks also give you a look at Nene's ballhandling skill... I get it not all the time you will see defense-less open court like that but the point here is Nene is very comfortable with handling the ball. So there's no reason why he shouldn't attack the basket more because he's not fumbling the ball off the dribble, he is very comfortable. Cousins can only dream he has that ball handling ability.

Pretend Nene is on your team and you're the coach. You see his ability, you're gonna say to him "you gotta average 20 and 10 for me right?... anything less and you're [expletive]ting me.." But no... for whatever reason, this guy is just mentally not there... like when you see Charles Barkley rebound, he wanted the ball so bad... when you see Amare going to the basket he says, "I ain't passing this ball, cuz I'm gonna score". Problem is Nene doesn't have this... he is too unselfish to a fault.

I see a lot of Nene in Cousins... Cousins will be just like Nene, not only skill wise, but court attitude. Lacking the necessary aggressiveness and consistency to average 20 and 10.

If there's one word I'd use to describe both men, it's inconsistency. It will be the theme of their careers.

Edited by Snake

I agree that Nene is a talented big guy, but in all those video's besides the one against the Kings he was dunking off of plays created for him by someone else. Not once did we see him make a move in the post to create his own shot and score off of it. That's the difference between him and Cousins IMO. Cousins already has a better low post game IMO and can create his own shot once he gets it within 10 feet with his back to the basket.