Barnes To Toronto?

Doc

Looks like it might have fallen through

Yep it hit a snag apparently.

Matt Barnes announced on Monday night that he is going to sign with the Raptors.

However, ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports that Orlando's limited sign-and-trade options may scuttle the deal, according to sources.

Barnes is expecting to sign a two-year, $10 million deal.

The Raptors and Magic will resume discussions on a sign-and-trade Tuesday. However, because of the financial standing of both clubs, it's possible that Barnes may have to agree to new terms.

Toronto recently spent the bulk of its $5.8 million mid-level exception to sign Linas Kleiza. They don't have the available funds to sign Barnes outright to a deal that starts in the neighborhood of $4 million.

The Magic are prevented by salary-cap rules from starting a sign-and-trade deal for Barnes at higher than $2 million, because Orlando doesn't have Barnes' full Bird rights after employing him for only one season.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68246/20100720/barnes_to_raptors_hits_major_snag/#ixzz0uFhhvV4M

Deal isn't going to happen unless Barnes is more concerned about playing time than winning. The Raptors aren't going to be able to offer him anything more than the LLE and why would Barnes go to Toronto for the LLE when he could make the same amount of money playing for the Lakers or the Celtics?

Even if he is more concerned about playing time and opportunity, the Cavs have shown interest in him and they can offer the most money out of any of the reported interested teams, so that would make more sense for him financially and he would get just as much PT in Cleveland as he would Toronto, perhaps more.

So, the way I see it, this signing is pretty much dead and won't happen. I can't say that I am too disapointed as, like I said above, I'd rather see Belinelli not glued to the bench and have Weems and Kleiza split the minutes at the 3 basically 50/50.

This offseason has been a colossal [expletive] up for Toronto though. I wonder what is going to go wrong for Toronto next? :lol:

Deal isn't going to happen unless Barnes is more concerned about playing time than winning. The Raptors aren't going to be able to offer him anything more than the LLE and why would Barnes go to Toronto for the LLE when he could make the same amount of money playing for the Lakers or the Celtics?

maybe because he wants better statistics then last season with the Magic and be one of the main scoring option for Toronto?