Prime Kevin Garnett or Dwight Howard?

Nitro

Note- WE ARE JUST DISCUSSING WHO'S BETTER ON DEFENSE!!!!!

Anyway, I saw a similar topic on RealGM and found some of the responses to be very interesting and compelling for both sides. I'll give my 2 cents later, but I'm curious to see how everyone else feels.

I dont think Dwight is in his prime, offensively (obviously )and defensively i dont think his a great defender man on man but help defence is great. i never really watched KG so i cant really say butt given what i have seen i would tip my hat to KG

Its close to be honest, but I just don't know of anyone that can completely control the game on defense like Dwight can. Its pretty remarkable how much he impacts the game with his shot blocking and rebounding.

I don't think Dwight is even in his prime yet. Dwight's lane intimidation is on another level compared to KG and he has the ability to disrupt entire offenses. But KG was an amazing man defender, and a good help defender as well. He was smarter than Dwight is, crafty on D and was scrappy to boot. He was also able to bring the ball up the floor occasionally which was awesome to watch a damn near 7 footer dribble it up. Dwight is still inconsistent defensively, especially man to man, and he has a tendency to think he can block every single shot that goes up.

I think KG was better but Dwight could be there soon.

Dwight is still pretty young and we still don't know if he reached his prime. He's a good defender but could be better. But the only thing he does in defense is blocks after blocks. KG, in his prime years, defense prime etc. was a beast. He didn't only block but played smart defense against the offense.

I say KG but Dwight could be up there. It's just a matter of time. It's maybe too early to talk about that because D12 didn't reach his prime yet. But that's just my opinion

Ok now I'm back home so I'll throw in my 2 cents...

It is a very, very difficult comparison. The stats are extremely close when you look at how they impacted both their counterparts as well as their own team (ie- making their teams better with their defense). From +/- stats to defensive ratings to whatever else, there's not a huge seperation. So, I will just go by x's and o's, and reluctantly take Garnett. It is such a difficult comparison because they are two completely different defensive players; Howard is a shot-blocking intimidator who can alter almost every shot that is within 5ft of the basket and force a team to gameplan around that. Garnett's defensive game involves using his amazing athleticism, reaction and determination to cut-off driving lanes, disrupt pick-and-rolls and at times completely shut-down whoever he is defending. I think KG was the better defensive player for 4 primary reasons-

1) Garnett is a much, much better defender in man-to-man situations. Despite Howard's size and jumping ability, he isn't the greatest man-to-man defender. He doesn't understand how to use footwork to his advantage, doesnt know how to really get under a player's skin and throw him out of his comfort zone, and can be too quick to jump on a contest and pick up the foul. Garnett is just one of those defenders who knows how to make a player extremely uncomfortable, and has the athleticism and natural ability to match that IQ. He knows how to properly front larger big men, has quick hands to deflect passes into the post, has the length and jumping ability to bother shots, and has that fesitiness to play up on the Amare and Chris Bosh types and had the athleticism to recover if they took him off the dribble. Overall, KG simply could lock people down.

2) Versatility. Howard is amazing at blocking and altering shots at the rim, but a prime KG affected the defense in so many more aspects. He could completely destroy a PnR with his ability to force the ballhandler off his path, as well as effectively switch onto the ballhandler or recover and deflect a pass. Anytime a wing player drove into the lane, KG was incredible at cutting them off well before they got to the rim. Many times this is more effective than simply contesting or blocking a shot, and I think LeBron and Kobe's 2008 post-season performances against the Celtics prove that. KG also had range; his freakish talent and athleticism allowed him to cover so much more ground than Dwight without sacrificing any gimme's. It even allowed him to successfully switch onto quicker perimeter players whenever it was necessary.

3) When you compare Howard to many other great defensive players, a big advantage he usually has is his rebounding. Against a prime KG, the difference is almost non-existent. KG usually grabbed between 9.5-10DRPG per 36min in his prime, with a DRB% of 29.5-31.0. Howard is up around 10.0DRPG per 36min, and a DRB% of about 31.0.

4) Dwight's greatest attribute, his shot-blocking, also happens to be one of his big weaknesses. Because he is so quick to block a shot, he gets himself into foul trouble very easily. We saw it time and time again in the playoffs, a quick 2 fouls and he's out of the game for the next 10-12 minutes. When you can't stay on the floor it completely robs you of being able to make any kind of impact on the game, and forces the coach to alter the gameplan. And when you are fouling a player on a shot attempt, it is an easy 2 FT's. KG may not have ever been a guy to swat 7 shots in a half, but he also rarely commited stupid fouls or consistently put himself in a position where he wasn't on the floor for 40 minutes.

So yeah, as I said it was tough, but definitely think KG has the advantage.

Dwight is still pretty young and we still don't know if he reached his prime. He's a good defender but could be better. But the only thing he does in defense is blocks after blocks. KG, in his prime years, defense prime etc. was a beast. He didn't only block but played smart defense against the offense.

I say KG but Dwight could be up there. It's just a matter of time. It's maybe too early to talk about that because D12 didn't reach his prime yet. But that's just my opinion

If the only thing Howard does on defense is block after block then nobody on this thread would choose Howard and nobody would talk about his great D. Smartass.

Its close to be honest, but I just don't know of anyone that can completely control the game on defense like Dwight can. Its pretty remarkable how much he impacts the game with his shot blocking and rebounding.

Dwight is still inconsistent defensively, especially man to man, and he has a tendency to think he can block every single shot that goes up.

I say Howard due to the fact he leads in blocks and can really hustle down the court.

If the only thing Howard does on defense is block after block then nobody on this thread would choose Howard and nobody would talk about his great D. Smartass.

AllenIverson#1fan is a big FAIL :)

KG. The thing that separates the two is the intensity and leadership that Garnett brought on the defensive end. That is something Dwight has yet to have in his skill-set. Garnett basically turned the Celtics' team defense around with his passion. Dwight will get to Garnett's level once he becomes more experienced.