What should the rotation look like?

With the additions of Michael Beasley, Wesley Johnson, Martell Webster, Luke Ridnour, Nikola Pekovic, Kosta Koufos, and Lazar Hayward, as well as the subtractions of Al Jefferson and Ryan Gomes, Minnesota has made quite a roster shakeup. At a glance, this team appears to have gotten a whole lot deeper, and the added athleticism that the first three will bring is pivotal in the fast-pace offense that Coach Rambis will employ.

My question is, what will the rotation look like? Minnesota has good depth at point guard, on the wings, and in the post, and many of their players have the versatility to play a couple different positions. This should give Rambis a lot of flexibility in determining his rotations, and expect a lot of competition with these players battling for playing time.

Here's how I think things will shape up:

PG: Flynn | Ridnour | Sessions

SG: Webster | Ellington |

SF: Johnson | Brewer | Hayward

PF: Beasley | Love | Hollins

C: Milicic | Pekovic | Koufos

Kevin Love may be the best player on this team, but I have him coming off the bench. I remember he would even come off the bench when Al was hurt, and Rambis would start Hollins and Darko over him, and with Beasley in the lineup that may have to continue. Playing Beasley at the 4 gives the team more athleticism, and although he could struggle defending bigger posts, Love's defense wouldn't be an upgrade. Darko can be the shot blocking presence inside on defense, and on offense he'll help with his ability to outlet off a rebound, pass to Minnesota's athletic cutters as well as hit the open shooters, and provide a decent amount of scoring inside.

The bench looks to be a good one. Ridnour is a solid distributor, Ellington's a lights-out shooter, Brewer had a much improved season last year as the starting 2, Love/Beasley (whoever comes off the bench) will provide a big spark offensively, Hollins is an energetic, versatile, athletic 5th big, and from what I hear, Pekovic is a talented low-post scorer, rebounder, and overall high energy guy.

This lineup gets me really excited for next year, lots of new faces and it'll be interesting to see how Rambis manages everyone's minutes.

• Like 1

I think Brewer's still gonna start as a SG. Webster is better as a spark off the bench, and this whole second unit looks good. Ellington is the odd man out and looks to be improving... idk, someone's going to have to go at some point I think.

i would like to to this line up probably wont happen..

PG: Flynn | Sessions | Ridnour |

SG: Brewer | Webster | Ellington |

SF: Beasley | Johnson | Hayward |

PF: Love | Beasley |Hollins

C: Milicic | Pekovic | Koufos

i would really like to see beasly play at the 3 i think if he put the effort into defense more he could guard the 3's pretty easily

I like the direction the Wolves are going. They are too young and inexperienced to be any good this year, but add another high draft pick, plus Ricky Rubio coming overseas, and this team could be pretty scary down the road.

I think their future really is going to depend on Darko's play and Beasley and Johnson's development. If Darko can "prove himself", Beasley can play up to his potential with the freedom he'll get, and Johnson can play like a top 5 pick, that is already a very strong core. Plus we already know Flynn and Love have talent.

As far as how the rotation goes, I am honestly not sure. It probably wouldn't hurt to take Johnson off the bench for his rookie year.

I like the direction the Wolves are going. They are too young and inexperienced to be any good this year, but add another high draft pick, plus Ricky Rubio coming overseas, and this team could be pretty scary down the road.

I think their future really is going to depend on Darko's play and Beasley and Johnson's development. If Darko can "prove himself", Beasley can play up to his potential with the freedom he'll get, and Johnson can play like a top 5 pick, that is already a very strong core. Plus we already know Flynn and Love have talent.

As far as how the rotation goes, I am honestly not sure. It probably wouldn't hurt to take Johnson off the bench for his rookie year.

Too bad others don't think the same way.

It's pretty hard to think of a rotation. There are a few players that can play 2 different positions: Brewer (SG and SF), Johnson (SG and SF), Beasley (SF and PF) and Webster (SG and SF). Love could possibly play as a C, if they go small ball.

I didn't watch a lot of the Heat last year, and I'm wondering what Beasley's IQ is like? I know he can score really well, but does he have good court vision, make sound decisions, etc.? The Triangle demands pretty high basketball IQ and players that can pass well, which is why I think Darko and Love fit so well. Can Beasley fit that mold as well and be a solid playmaker, or will he just provide help in the scoring department?

I didn't watch a lot of the Heat last year, and I'm wondering what Beasley's IQ is like? I know he can score really well, but does he have good court vision, make sound decisions, etc.? The Triangle demands pretty high basketball IQ and players that can pass well, which is why I think Darko and Love fit so well. Can Beasley fit that mold as well and be a solid playmaker, or will he just provide help in the scoring department?

Though you shouldn't expect much from his natural IQ, he has a willingness to learn and improve. He has a solid work ethic as well.

The Heat coaching staff never worked on his offense according to Spoelstra. They strictly worked on him defensively. He came into the league as a horrid defender that had the mentality of "outscoring the opponent" rather than playing to his fullest on both ends.

Spoelstra was sure to change that and make the young Beasley put value into his defensive play. He's had his ups and downs, but the coaching staff has done a good job developing him on that end overall, and despite lacking natural defensive abilities, he has become somewhat decent now for NBA standards.

Because the Heat never worked on him offensively, he hasn't learned how to become a fluid part of the offense. Right now he's strictly an isolation player. The only other time he'll score is either on the break or when he grabs an offensive board.

I do expect the T'Wolves to utilize Beasley's strengths and work on his offensive game. Like I said earlier, he has a willingness to improve, but don't expect that to mean he'll learn any faster. But as he starts to "get it", you may see a different side of Beasley.

Bease loves his shots. Don't expect him to become a great passer anytime soon. He will pass though if he sees an opportunity to gain an assist.

Edited by Poe