NBA Draft or Free Agency?

Poe

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you are a General Manager, and you've got an average team on your hands with little to no foreseeable direction for the franchise. The way the team stands now, they don't appear like they will get much better or much worse for the next several years.

Bottom line, is it better to build teams into contenders through the draft or free agency?

BTW, I left out "both" as an option on purpose. I'm not giving a middle ground, cause a team that builds through free agency have late draft picks to choose, and teams that build through the draft have the MLE anyway. I'm asking which is better.

The draft imo. You can get what could be superstars for so much cheaper than FA.

It's a risk to try and build through the draft but it would be so much worse to over pay a FA that doesn't end up playing well.

Also, with FA you are likely to be stuck with a huge, long term contract... so if they don't deliver you are [expletive]ed.

it depends on the market

teams like the celtics, lakers can use free agency cuz they are marketable places

whereas a team like the wolves or raps are pretty dependant on the draft or else end up grossly overpaying to have players come play there

for me personally, id chose the draft because its usually cheaper and the player grows with the team, and i think its better for the fans that way

i also hate when teams just buy the players (yankees, lakers)

If you could only do one, the draft. You have young players with high ceilings who can learn to play with each other over a long period of time. Look at the Thunder, their future is more than promising. Signing one or 2 big name free agents doesn't guarantee anything.

Building your team through the draft is cheaper, puts you in a better position for the future financially, and lets your young studs' develop chemistry amongst eachother and lets them develop on their own rather than sharing the "star power".

I think the best teams do it in both ways. It's good to build around young guys and add pieces through free agency. That's the way I would go if I was a GM. If I had to pick one way I would pick the draft. I wouldn't want to rely on convincing players to come join my team with all the other teams basically doing the same thing. If you have a team in the making through young talent and role players, it makes it a lot easier to add that last thing you need to become a elite team from free agency.

Edited by beltramba9

Both, but take a look at the last 27 champions (since the '82-'83 Sixers): 26 of those 27 teams were led/co-led by superstar players that were DRAFTED by their teams (Lakers- Kobe/Magic, Bulls- MJ, Celtics- Pierce/Bird, Pistons- Isiah, Rockets- Hakeem, Spurs- Duncan, Heat- Wade). The only team that broke the mold was the '04 Pistons. Basically what that shows is that it is MUCH easier to grab a stud in the draft and build a championship team around him rather than try your luck with FA. The reason is because there are only a select number of true superstar talents in the NBA, and if they happen to test the FA waters, the chances of you actually landing that player are very slim (ask all the teams that failed to lure LBJ and Wade to town).

But as RD said, you should build through the draft and patch up the rest via FA.

Does Kobe count as being drafted by the Lake?

I count it. Getting traded on draft day is essentially the same thing. Kobe is the guy the Lakers wanted in that draft and they made a move to get him.

It really depends on what kind of team you have. For example if you had a team like the Nets with really no superstars then you build through the draft, you could use a little of both but the draft is your main focus. You get you a couple of good draft picks and get you a couple of experienced vets that won't cost much but will produce through free agency, then see how your work progresses. But if you have a mediocre team with a superstar then thats when you go after a big free agent IMO alla Chicago Bulls Rose/Boozer.

Building a team through the draft IMO.

You get to build around young talent that we'll be with you for some amount of years depending on certain things, which places you in a better position financially than building through free agency. Also building through draft helps you with the addition of adding free agents who will just fit into a certain role for much cheaper than spending huge amount of money on a free agent and not being able to spend a lot off other money on other free agents to build around.

Edited by Beastley

It really depends what players I currently have. If I just need a couple of pieces (eg. Nuggets) then I'd go for the FA.

If I didn't have much other than a few good players (T'Wolves) then I'd probably concentrate building through the draft.