Change the Rep System?

Poe

I've noticed that most rep given on this forum is entirely non-basketball related, while some members with good basketball knowledge gain a lot of rep anyway. Really, when rep is given both ways, does rep really represent anything about a member?

I have a suggestion for a change, if possible. Split the rep into two different rep systems, one rep for popularity and one rep for basketball related posts.

Popularity Rep (or maybe "General Rep" would be a better word) would be for humorous posts, posts you agree with in the offtopic forums, and things of that nature. Only one rep given at a time.

----- Also, as an added suggested, I feel the ability to give Negative Rep should return. Since negative rep can be so easily abused, instead of taking it away completely, I suggest the power to -1 should be given to only moderators. Whenever a mod sees someone bring a negative impact to the forums, like baiting, they give them a negative rep. This can help slow down some of the instigators, and instead encourage members to act more positively to one another.

Basketball Rep should obviously be given to posts about basketball. Difference here is that someone should be given the option to give multiple rep, 3 at the most. Like for example, if someone posts an article and a reader feels like they did an extremely good job, they can give the full 3 rep points. If someone felt the article was pretty good, they can give 2 rep points. If they felt it wasn't as good as it could be, but there was effort involved so at least some rep is warranted, then only 1 rep point.

Is it possible to integrate a system like this? I think it can help boost the quality of the posts on this forum.

Edited by Poe
  • Like 1

I agree with your first sentence. But NEVER add the negative reps. It happened on another forum and all the members were abusing it and gave -1 to EVERY POSTS. But I agree that we need to give more reps to people that deserve it in the Basketball discussions

I agree with your first sentence. But NEVER add the negative reps. It happened on another forum and all the members were abusing it and gave -1 to EVERY POSTS. But I agree that we need to give more reps to people that deserve it in the Basketball discussions

If you took the time to read, I said the ability to give negative rep to only be given to the mods. That way members can't abuse it.

I think the rep is fine. The rep is a look at a person's total contribution to the forums.

I don't think so. Real Deal once pointed out that Waldo is one of the biggest contributors, but doesn't get a whole lot of rep.

What would be the harm in the separation, anyway?

If you took the time to read, I said the ability to give negative rep to only be given to the mods. That way members can't abuse it.

oh ok lol I didn't want to read all that :) (being honest)

so yeah good idea. but I loved your first sentence because it's totally true

Rep doesn't really matter... I don't really pay much attention to it anyway. People generally rep funny posts as opposed to truly insightful basketball posts, yes. But I really don't think it matters much. I mean hell, Yugo gets repped every other post he makes lol. It's just a fun side feature to use, doesn't really say which members are "better" than others.

I was only pointing out the facts. And besides, replying without reading can be considered meaner.

Maybe he has dyslexia or learning disabilities, and now you're just being condescending towards someone less fortunate than you. Make that a -2.

I'm sorta indifferent, for me it's more convenient for there to be just one universal rep rather than splitting it up into two kinds of reputation based on comedic and basketball contributions.

If mods see bad posts, I think their action should be to confront the member rather than add a negative rep.

Rep doesn't really matter... I don't really pay much attention to it anyway. People generally rep funny posts as opposed to truly insightful basketball posts, yes. But I really don't think it matters much. I mean hell, Yugo gets repped every other post he makes lol. It's just a fun side feature to use, doesn't really say which members are "better" than others.

And I think that's the problem. Rep doesn't matter, when rep could easily be used to improve the forums. I'm suggesting a small change in separating the general rep from the basketball related rep. That way in your profile, we can see what kind of poster you are. Posters like Yugo will have a lot of general/popularity rep, and posters like BFT will have a lot of basketball rep.

Plus having the option to give different amounts of rep for basketball articles and such will give a sense a grading, and you can truly see how well you did.

Maybe he has dyslexia or learning disabilities, and now you're just being condescending towards someone less fortunate than you. Make that a -2.

Whatever happened, he did exactly what I said. He didn't entirely read my post. He admitted it as well.

And if you took the time to read my post, you'd know that you wouldn't be able to give negative rep. So your -2 would mean absolutely nothing.

If mods see bad posts, I think their action should be to confront the member rather than add a negative rep.

Or perhaps both, but mods rarely confront members anyway. If ever.

Negative rep can encourage a member not to do things like baiting, that way mods can avoid confrontation. If a member is getting negative rep every time they bait, they aren't going to be inclined to do it as much, since they will only be hurting themselves.

Whatever happened, he did exactly what I said. He didn't entirely read my post. He admitted it as well.

And if you took the time to read my post, you'd know that you wouldn't be able to give negative rep. So your -2 would mean absolutely nothing.

Confrontational baiting, -3.

If you took the time to stop being so ultra sensitive and serious on an internet message board, you'd realize I've been joking... -_-

• Like 2

Or perhaps both, but mods rarely confront members anyway. If ever.

Negative rep can encourage a member not to do things like baiting, that way mods can avoid confrontation. If a member is getting negative rep every time they bait, they aren't going to be inclined to do it as much, since they will only be hurting themselves.

I don't think that would encourage them to stop. Take xx for example, do you think he would really care if he had a ton of negative rep? In his mind, I don't think he really cared whether or not he got negative rep, none of his posts gave any hint that he cares what people on the Internet think of him.

If the mods don't confront a member, they're probably not going to take the time to give a negative rep, either. Even if they did, he had 143 rep points (yeah, I took the time to look it up :lol:), so he could still have positive rep.

If you took the time to stop being so ultra sensitive and serious on an internet message board, you'd realize I've been joking... -_-

Okay then. Can you stop baiting me?

At least you are bringing a good example of the kinds of posts that should be given a negative rep. Your attempting to gain a reaction from me thus driving me away from the discussion, bringing a negative impact.

I don't think that would encourage them to stop. Take xx for example, do you think he would really care if he had a ton of negative rep? In his mind, I don't think he really cared whether or not he got negative rep, none of his posts gave any hint that he cares what people on the Internet think of him.

If the mods don't confront a member, they're probably not going to take the time to give a negative rep, either. Even if they did, he had 143 rep points (yeah, I took the time to look it up :lol:), so he could still have positive rep.

Actually he gained a lot of positive rep for what he was doing, like you pointed out at the end. If a mod had the power to take that away and turn the rep negative, it may encourage him to act differently. If he continues, the mods can take it a step further and confront him. The next step would be a ban.

And if the mods aren't there to give negative rep at appropriate times, and confront members if they continue acting a certain way, then they aren't doing their job.

Okay then. Can you stop baiting me?

At least you are bringing a good example of the kinds of posts that should be given a negative rep. Your attempting to gain a reaction from me thus driving me away from the discussion, bringing a negative impact.

You are the example of why casual posters and funny posters can't exist around here... because people like you have a stick up their [expletive].

Chill out, dude. You are taking offense to nothing. You are whining because I gave you a fake -1. The Earth will continue to turn, I promise.

• Owner

Funny posters aren't wanted if they are going to be funny the entire time they are on the site. I created a topic, in the announcements, about how we all need to change the way we address members and how we are contributing to discussions. Some took it as a joke.

Sometimes, the funny posters aren't funny. The [expletive] gets old. There are people who want to see more basketball discussion here, and I'm one of them. Sure, there may not be much to talk about today, but this has been an issue for years. The rep system is just another thing to discuss when it comes to who is getting repped for their posts, and who isn't.

A few months back, I wanted to use the rep system for a game, and then again for something similar to a bookie system. Can't do it, because the reputation points given around here are usually for the "funny" members that attack/bait other posters, non-stop. You can get a +1 for posting a "GTFO picture" that has been around for years.

There's a difference between being funny every now and then, and being absolutely stupid with every post he/she makes. Here lately, it's getting ridiculous, to the point where we're losing members, and the staff doesn't want any part of it anymore. If people actually gave a [expletive] about the site, this would change without me posting about it.

• Like 3

Thank you STaT for getting everyone to veer offtopic.

Now back to the discussion I meant this topic for. RD, is it possible to integrate a rep system like the one I suggested? Giving 2 separate rep systems, one rep count for general rep, and the other for basketball related only?

• Owner

It's possible, but I have no idea how to code something like that, there is no modification coded by anyone else, and IPB doesn't give that option.

Plus, it would be abused in the same manner. A basketball rep of +3 could be given to a "funny" post in a basketball topic.

Plus, it would be abused in the same manner. A basketball rep of +3 could be given to a "funny" post in a basketball topic.

But a moderator could fix it though, and send a message to the guy giving the improper rep. You can add a report button so members can give mods a heads up.

But anyway, I'm just throwing the idea out there. If you ever come across a way to add the rep system, it would add a new dimension to OTR that makes the site different from other forums.