Hinrich starts fresh with Wizards

CSNwashington.com

Nearly a month after being acquired from Chicago, Kirk Hinrich explained that while he was initially shocked and blindsided after being traded, he’s looking forward to a fresh start with the Wizards. Back on Draft night, Hinrich was dealt to Washington along with the draft rights of Kevin Seraphin and $3 million in cash considerations.

“I’m thrilled to have a fresh start,” said Hinrich. “I was in Chicago a long time. We have a young and talented team here and I’m excited for the opportunity in front of us. “

Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld has coveted Hinrich for quite some time going back to his days as the General Manager of the Milwaukee Bucks. Grunfeld even said that had Hinrich slipped one spot to number eight in the 2003 NBA Draft the former Kansas Jayhawk would’ve been his selection.

While at Kansas, Hinrich led his team to a Final Four appearance and Grunfeld credits him with being a winner throughout both his college and professional career. But it was also Hinrich’s ability to play both point guard and shooting guard that really made him an asset.

“We feel that Kirk can play with John [Wall] in the backcourt as well as with Gilbert [Arenas],” said Grunfeld. “I think we can have a very good backcourt with that three-man rotation.”

Hinrich will likely be asked to play a combo role off the bench backing up Wall and Arenas. That’s a role Hinrich is very familiar with. He found himself in a similar situation with the Bulls during the 2008-09 season, where after being entrenched as the starting point guard for five seasons, he was relegated to backup duty due to the arrival of number one pick Derrick Rose. The Bulls backcourt that season featured Rose and an explosive scorer in Ben Gordon, which is very similar to what Washington has in Wall and Arenas.

While his overall numbers suffered Hinrich still served as a mentor to Rose, who went on to be named 2009 Rookie of the Year.

“I really felt like I got to much credit for that,” said Hinrich. “He was just very good and with my versatility I was able to compliment him and play along side him very well. The main thing Derrick learned from me is by example. That’s the way I lead.”

Hinrich will once again be tasked with leading a rookie point guard as he guides Wall through his first NBA season. Given that both Rose and Wall played under John Calipari in college, the two have a lot of similarities in their game. From what he saw over summer league play, Hinrich has no worries that Wall’s game will translate to the NBA.

“He’s an unbelievable athlete. He has the tools to be a very good pro player. It’s just a matter of learning the NBA game. Every rookie who comes in has that learning curve because the NBA is so much different than college.”

As for the other half of the backcourt, Hinrich is equally excited to play with Arenas. The two went head-to-head during an exhilarating first round match up in 2005 that ended with Arenas clinching the series by knocking down a buzzer beater over the out-stretched arm of Hinrich.

“I feel like there’s no question he’s a top player in this league. He’s one of the toughest guards in this league with his speed and his ability to shoot from range. I’ve played against him a lot and I’m looking forward to being on the same side as him.”

http://www.csnwashington.com/07/26/10/Fast-Break-Hinrich-Starts-Fresh-With-Wiz/landing_v3.html?blockID=277626&feedID=6356

Yeah I'm watching the press conference right now, I love his attitude and the fact that he's willing to be apart of a rebuilding process rather than going to a contender such as the Lakers (where he was rumored to be going last year).

Yeah I'm watching the press conference right now, I love his attitude and the fact that he's willing to be apart of a rebuilding process rather than going to a contender such as the Lakers (where he was rumored to be going last year).

Well he didn't really have a choice. :lol:

But yeah I love his maturity and attitude, he will be a great veteran leader for this team and could definitely help Wall develop his game.

It's not like he had the choice. If he was a free agent, I don't see him signing with the Wizards to be behind John Wall but shows he's got a positive attitude rather than whining about coming off the bench.

Jynx! You owe me a coke.

http://www.tasteofitalycatering.com/uploads/images/products/small/112.jpg

Can't argue with the rules of Jynx.

EDIT: Wow, I did not know the can would be that big hahaha

Edited by JWaLL

I always wanted this guy at the LakeShow, he's a solid player, great shooter. Awesome pick up for you guys, specially after loosing Miller, he fills that hole perfectly

Definitely. Both are leadership veterans who can play multiple veterans. Granted Miller can play 3 positions, but I feel like Hinrich will be more valuable to our team because he can mentor Wall during his rookie year. Miller didn't really live up to the expectations we had for him when we acquired him via trade, but hey it helped us land Wall so I guess things happen for a reason.

Definitely. Both are leadership veterans who can play multiple veterans. Granted Miller can play 3 positions, but I feel like Hinrich will be more valuable to our team because he can mentor Wall during his rookie year. Miller didn't really live up to the expectations we had for him when we acquired him via trade, but hey it helped us land Wall so I guess things happen for a reason.

Yeah, he has the mind-state to do that, it's important after what happened to you guys last season to bring guys with their priorities well stablished. You can't rebiuld if you don't have players willing to do that. I think you have a great shot at it, you have the piece to do so around (Wall) and the players, such as Hinrich, to help the cause and create a long-term squad.

Wall will learn from Hinrich and the rest

Edited by fedefox

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner

Bias aside, Hinrich needs to start at the two. I know Arenas is going to say he'll come back and play his heart out, team concept, yada yada...but come on, we've heard it twice before, and when he finally did come back last season, and looked to be in full form (well, for his age and past injuries), he was selfish.

Hinrich is an elite defender. Wall is a good defender at the college level, and it may translate over to the pros well. Having that backcourt defense makes up for what you're missing up front, especially now that Haywood is gone, and Blatche doesn't even know what defense is unless he's nearing ten blocks, ten rebounds and ten steals.

Thank God this guy isn't in Chicago anymore. He's the one guy who's had consistent success guarding Dwyane Wade in the 7 years they've been in the L.

Yea, and come to think of it, having Hinrich on Wade, Deng on LeBron, and Noah on Bosh would have allowed the Bulls to match up with the Heat defensively... at least somewhat. Had they kept Hinrich AND gotten Boozer, they may have potentially caused the Heat a bit of trouble.

Bias aside, Hinrich needs to start at the two. I know Arenas is going to say he'll come back and play his heart out, team concept, yada yada...but come on, we've heard it twice before, and when he finally did come back last season, and looked to be in full form (well, for his age and past injuries), he was selfish.

Hinrich is an elite defender. Wall is a good defender at the college level, and it may translate over to the pros well. Having that backcourt defense makes up for what you're missing up front, especially now that Haywood is gone, and Blatche doesn't even know what defense is unless he's nearing ten blocks, ten rebounds and ten steals.

Once Gilbert is undoubtedly traded away for most likely an unneeded talent with an expiring contract, Hinrich will most definitely be put in the starting 2 spot. Being a solid offensive player already, his perimeter defense (one of our biggest long term struggles) gives us an entirely new edge. I recall a statistic showing that Gilbert allowed more than 60% of the shots he guarded to go in, with Hinrich's being significantly lower. He is a perfect compliment to Wall in the backcourt, and I feel they can work well off of each other. Hinrich didn't shoot the ball well last year, but if he can reacquire a consistent offensive game, Wall could help turn him into a solid offensive force by giving him some open perimeter looks.

Here's the issue though...

If the Wizards are to ever find a team willing to take Arenas on via trade, his value MUST go up from this arguably all-time low. To do that, he needs to produce. To produce, he's going to need minutes. If he's going to be a good boy during the next few months, he's going to want his ego stroked. To properly stroke Arenas' ego, he's going to need to start, get major minutes, and still be the focal point of the offense.

All that means is that Hinrich and the Wizards are gonna have to wait awhile before both parties truly get what they want.

• Owner

Here's the issue though...

If the Wizards are to ever find a team willing to take Arenas on via trade, his value MUST go up from this arguably all-time low. To do that, he needs to produce. To produce, he's going to need minutes. If he's going to be a good boy during the next few months, he's going to want his ego stroked. To properly stroke Arenas' ego, he's going to need to start, get major minutes, and still be the focal point of the offense.

All that means is that Hinrich and the Wizards are gonna have to wait awhile before both parties truly get what they want.

That's true. Arenas' contract is horrific. I still can't believe the Wizards gave him all of that cash and those years, and it wasn't like he was one of the best players in the league when they did it, either...I believe he was still trying to recover from that first major injury of his.

Four years (because he will take his PO, won't pass up $21 million) of Arenas, more than likely still playing with half of the impact he used to provide.