Randolph Makes Summer League History

LAS VEGAS -- Golden State's Anthony Randolph exploded for 42 points in Tuesday's 95-83 win over the Bulls, tying a Las Vegas Summer League record for most points in a game, previously set by Marcus Banks and Von Wafer in 2007.

Despite rarely being featured in a starring role as a rookie, Randolph was still one of the most versatile players in the league last year, so the fact he's tearing up the court in Las Vegas is hardly a surprise. But while his rookie year was marked by inconsistency -- both in terms of his performance and opportunities -- he's yet to have an off game this summer. After four games, he's shooting 60.5 percent and averaging 26.8 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks.

He scored his points on Tuesday mostly by being aggressive, attacking the rim and rarely settling for jumpers. It paid off: he shot 13-for-22 from the field and made 16 of 21 free throws. Randolph clearly tired as the game wore on, but he maintained his effort.

"Randolph did well with attacking the basket and just trying to play through the fatigue," Warriors assistant coach Keith Smart said. "And that's what he's going to have to do to keep growing as a pro in the NBA."

Randolph tallied a double-double in each of his first three games before finishing with just three rebounds in 34 minutes on Tuesday. Despite etching his name into the history books with his scoring, his lack of production on the glass was the focus of his first comments to the media after the game.

"I think I did OK," he said. "I rebounded poorly -- I only had three rebounds. That's not good for a 6-11 guy, to only have three rebounds in 30 or however many minutes I played. ... Of course, you have to score the ball, but I'm not just satisfied with that. I want to be able to do more than one thing. I'm versatile."

Randolph's versatility is what sets him apart from almost every big man in the league. He doesn't have much bulk (and likely never will), but he's extremely athletic and long, capable of crashing the boards, blocking shots and putting the ball on the floor in transition like a point guard.

"My goal is to work hard and one day be one of the best players in the league and be up there with LeBron and Kobe," Randolph said. "I know it's going to take hard work and effort to get there.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/14/randolph-makes-summer-league-history/

The dude is a serious monster, I never understood why he didn't get much attention. Every Warriors game I ever saw, he always played with such high intensity and played his role very well. He could very well be an all star one day, but hall of fame is saying a bit much. :lol:

No joke..

I read about this guy in SLAM etc back in 07 i think it was .. I liked him since then .. he is a god damn beast just as DeAndre Jordan is .. these two guys will be stars while we see dudes like Beasley hit meritocracy later in there careers ..