Yao Calling it Quits?

That is only IF his foot doesn't heal.

He has already stated he will not opt out of the final year of his contract with Rockets and will return to the team for the 2010-11 season.

He also said his recovery was going very well and he "will be back in October" for the NBA's preseason.

To give Yao more time to rest, the Rockets signed 7-foot veteran center Brad Miller.

"I think we have a very good lineup for new season. Now we have the strength to make it to the second round of the playoffs. But I hope it's not the end and we can still move forward."

Asked about his future, Yao said any decision would depend on his injured foot.

"If the foot injury does not heal next season, I might choose to call it quits."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2010-07/26/content_11049012.htm

Back in October? Sounds great to me. He was just answering the question and the media seems to have overblown it.

I gotta be honest, I think he's gonna hang em up after this year. Dude's got a family now and isn't he a team owner back in China? I get the sense that unless he can play at the highest level he can that he won't be back after next season.

I think everything is going to go well with his injury, hopefully it won't effect his game that much. Yao is a beast! hope he does well next season.

Big men with foot injuries rarely play at the level they reached before the injury, unless they are REALLY young when it happens. This really sucks for Yao and for the NBA.

Honestly Yao is different. He's had a foot/leg injuries every year for the last 5-6 seasons and always comes back relatively the same. I really don't expect his play to suffer much once he shakes off a year's worth of rust.

However, I think before the end of the season he will get a hairline fracture in his leg or foot or something will happen to end his career. He's just too prone to injury with his huge size and it's just bound to happen.

• Owner

Honestly Yao is different. He's had a foot/leg injuries every year for the last 5-6 seasons and always comes back relatively the same. I really don't expect his play to suffer much once he shakes off a year's worth of rust.

However, I think before the end of the season he will get a hairline fracture in his leg or foot or something will happen to end his career. He's just too prone to injury with his huge size and it's just bound to happen.

Yeah, but from what I've read, this last season was the first time Yao's injury was considered a major one, and it was about a week after it happened, rumors started flying about how bad it really was (that he would probably never play again). His past foot and leg injuries were never that serious, at least according to the media.

• 4 weeks later...
Yao Clarifies Comments On Retirement

Rockets center Yao Ming has clarified comments made earlier this season that seemed to indicate retirement was a possibility in the not-so-distant future.

The comment came out of China last month. He mentioned the possibility of retirement if his foot didn't heal properly.

He was cleared for basketball activities this week.

"That entire interview was talking about the future of Chinese basketball," Yao said. "I told them however long I can play, one day I will retire. This team needs to learn how to play without me, either now or later. Sooner is better than later.

"I also told them, the worst case, I'm just saying the worst case, the worst case, is that I don't go through the season and have to retire after the season. They only put that part in the story. That interview was only about how to develop Chinese basketball."

RealGM