Houston to ship Andersen to Toronto

• Owner

We acquire him so we can use his salary in a future deal, you can't package the small TPE we required earlier with players, but we can package Andersen with it. Smart move by BC.

I keep forgetting you guys have the TPE.

I keep forgetting you guys have the TPE.

The Turkoglu TPE is the one that covered this trade, so the Raptors still haven't dipped into the Bosh TPE yet.

As for the move, the Raptors got a backup center (which just goes to show how thin they are at the 5) for a pick that they probably never would've gotten in the first place (I imagine it is that Clippers heavily protected 2nd rounder they have). The Rockets are sending cash over to Toronto to pay for his salary so it doesn't really effect them financially. This move allows Alabi to spend some time in the D-League, which will be much more beneficial for his development than sitting on the bench with the Raptors.

Best of all is that the Raptors now have basically $14M (give or take) in expiring contracts to work with, along with the $14.5M Bosh TPE. I know that Andersen isn't an expiring contract, but with a $100,000 buyout next season, he basically is as far as I am concerned. I'm definitely expecting Colangelo to try and make a significant splash around the deadline with the expiring contracts of Banks, Evans, Belinelli and Andersen and the TPE.

I hope he gets some playing time with Toronto, although with them signing so many big men I doubt he will get any at all.

If they don't make any more moves to add another center to the roster, I think he will actually get a decent amount of playing time next season (assuming he is still with the team). Moste Raptors big men are more suited to the power forward spot as Alabi is really the only true center on the team, and he is clearly a project and is not ready for NBA action right away.

I think Andersen will get the majority of backup minutes at the 5 while Johnson and Davis get the majority of the minutes at the 4. There may be times that Andersen and Bargnani are on the floor together (as brutal as that sounds) as well.

I definitely see him getting minutes this upcoming season assuming that the Raptors don't add any more big men though. His play will dictate how many minutes he gets as the season goes on, but he will be given an opportunity.