2010 San Francisco 49er's Preview

Anything short of the playoffs is going to be disappointing imo. I don't think any team, maybe other than the Cowboys, has been hyped so much this season.

Must be a west coast thing, it's all Jets over hype over here...

Singletary didn't make Patrick Willis a superstar, he was well on his way to stardom before he became the head coach. He would've whether Singletary was there or not.

I like Singletary, he's a great disciplinarian and can teach real well, but his downfall is he's not a great coach. That's one way the 49ers won't get an optimal performance, example being his hiring of Jimmy Raye. Top-five worst coordinators in the league.

The Cardinals are in a down year, sort of rebuilding on the fly after getting ravaged of a lot of quality talents, so the 49ers have a pretty easy road to the division if they realize what the have. I don't believe in Alex Smith though. He's just not a winner.

EDIT - And Seattle is still utter garbage. St. Louis as well.

Edited by iBoldin

Ughhh, don't even get me started on Jimmy Raye. Hopefully things change this year, but last year was miserable with the predictable play-calling.

I really do believe in Alex Smith though. He was thrown into a bad situation, and also suffered some injuries that have kept him out for long periods of time, yet he continues to come back.

This is a really good article that pretty much sums up what he's dealt with in his career so far.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmuYR.QA_Nlhcm8VU5ftLZI5nYcB?slug=ms-smithturnaround072310

How many QB's that have been labeled "busts" GIVE UP $17 million to stay with a team where he has been ridiculed since he was drafted?

This is his make or break year, make no mistake about it. I really think he will flourish this season.

• 3 weeks later...

The first question I asked him was why, why step away from such a lucrative profession?

Coffee: "It was a struggle for a long time. Actually when I look back I feel I never should have entered the draft in the first place. Football was no longer my dream. I found Christ in college. It changed my views on everything. But I still was a football player because it was expected of me, it was something I did all my life. I was basically wasting the (49ers') time."

Why do you think you couldn't reconcile football and your faith?

Coffee: "His will, I felt, wasn't football. I felt like I forced football because everyone expected me to play football. He told me a long time ago to walk away from the game."

What will you do now?

Coffee: "It's simple. I'm going back to school." Coffee, who left the University of Alabama after his junior year, said he needed only six hours to get an undergraduate degree in consumer affairs. However, he plans to get a master's as well.

I noted that Alabama associates him with football more than anywhere else. Will it be hard to return to a school that knows you as a tailback?

Coffee: "It's going to be both. There's going to be people that understand and there's going to be people that don't understand and don't care to understand. They're going to feed off that negativity. That's life."

There has been speculation that outside influences, something like a failed drug test, prompted your decision. Can you put that to rest?

Coffee (laughs): "Yesterday I was reading on the Internet and some reporter said I made the decision because I got blown up in a blocking drill. Come on, man! Give me more credit than that! But I've got to expect that when I do something so unexpectedly. No, there were no personal issues. But I really am sorry that I put the 49ers in this situation. I should have handled it a lot differently."

You've been working nonstop since the 2009 season ended to transform your body and become a better running back. How do you do that when your mind's not fully into football?

Coffee: "Because whatever you do, you've got to do it to glorify Christ. You've got to do it 100 percent. Even though my head - it was sort of me holding onto the sport. I tried to get all the way into it."

Did the harshness of Mike Singletary's training camp play a role?

Coffee: "No. It's what we do. We're football players. I'm not walking away because of that. As far as coach Singletary and the 49ers - Singletary, that dude is legit. He's legit on all levels. He's doing what he feels is right. It's definitely not camp (that prompted his decision) and how hard camp was. That's football."

Was it difficult to tell Singletary your decision Friday morning?

Coffee: "It wasn't necessarily that I thought he was going to me mad at me. It was that I didn't take lightly that I was leaving my teammates. Because they thought I was going to war with them."

Any way you will reconsider?

Coffee: "No, man. I've already told Christ it's time to go. I've already rung the bell. That's not going to happen."

Seems like a great guy with great character. I wish him the best.