How Does Jason Thompson Factor Into The Kings Rotation?

Thomspon had a solid rookie season and followed that up with a sophomore season in which he improved in basically every single statistical catagory He was a bit up and down last season as he started off great (averaged 15.3/9.6 and 16.6/8.9 in November and December respectively), hit a bit of a wall in the middle part of the season (averaged 9.1/7.8 and 9.8 and 8.9 in January and Feburary respectively) and then finished the season strong (averaged 14/10/2.5 in April).

He showed glimpses of being a very good player last year, but with the Kings making the midseason trade for Carl Landry, trading for Samuel Dalembert in the offseason and then drafting DeMarcus Cousins with the 5th pick what is his role going to be on the team? Will he play 30 minutes a game like he has the past two seasons, or with these new additions will he see his playing time cut? How is he going to factor into the Kings rotation for this upcoming season?

IMO he should be the starter over Landry. I've always liked Thompson since he came into the league and I think he's got the potential to be a 20+ point and 10 rebound type of player.

wow, i didn't realise he was that good lol. i thought he was a bench player.

imo the Kings should attempt to move either King or Landry for a young PG, and then whoever they keep start. a lineup of

???

Evans

Greene

Landry/Thompson

Cousins

a very young team who could make some noise in a few years

Since Cousins and Dalembert will be taking up all the time at center, perhaps the Kings will use Carl Landry as a tweener to create more room for playing time for Thompson off the bench. I remember the Rockets would occasionally use Landry at the 3, and even started him at the 3 vs the Heat because someone in the starting line up was injured IIRC.

Whatever the solution may be though, Thompson's minutes will still likely decrease at least by some small margin, but the depth is beneficiary to the team as a whole.

wow, i didn't realise he was that good lol. i thought he was a bench player.

imo the Kings should attempt to move either King or Landry for a young PG, and then whoever they keep start. a lineup of

???

Evans

Greene

Landry/Thompson

Cousins

a very young team who could make some noise in a few years

Well, the Kings already have Beno Udrih who is a competent starting PG to say the least. What they really need is a back up, though getting a starter better than Udrih would be tremendous, especially if he's young.

About the future of the team, they will definitely improve based on their youth and promising talent, but I think they have what it takes to already start making some noise. If the West wasn't such a tough conference, I would make the bold prediction that they will be in the playoffs this year. If they were in the East, they'd likely be a 6th or 7th seeded team.

Well, the Kings already have Beno Udrih who is a competent starting PG to say the least. What they really need is a back up, though getting a starter better than Udrih would be tremendous, especially if he's young.

About the future of the team, they will definitely improve based on their youth and promising talent, but I think they have what it takes to already start making some noise. If the West wasn't such a tough conference, I would make the bold prediction that they will be in the playoffs this year. If they were in the East, they'd likely be a 6th or 7th seeded team.

yeah, but if they could get a plyer who's just as good or even better than Udrih, but 4/5 years younger it would be perfect.

them making the playoffs depends on Cousins, since Reke has already proven he is a quality player.... but who knows, they could be the OKC of this year.

them making the playoffs depends on Cousins, since Reke has already proven he is a quality player.... but who knows, they could be the OKC of this year.

That's true. Having a superstar (Tyreke Evens... only one of 4 players to ever average 20/5/5 in their rookie years) and decent role players would be good enough to be a playoff team in the East, but the West is too tough.

They need a second star, and Cousins has to be that guy. He played very well in the Summer League. Hopefully that will carry over to the NBA.

• 3 weeks later...

Thompson and Cousins should be starting for that team, if not then i am truly confused with the coaching.

Landry is a role player type of guy who can at times explode on offense. That is what they need off the bench, coming in, scoring some points in the paint and grabbing some boards.

Dalembert is just there for defensive needs.