Preliminary card

* Welterweight bout: Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story

* Light Heavyweight bout: Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace

* Light Heavyweight bout: Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown

* Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs. Charlie Brenneman

* Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Christian Morecraft

* Welterweight bout: Ben Saunders vs. Dennis Hallman

Sonnen said: " Silva is the champion, but I am the best". :rofl:

Anways, I got Silva winning. Thoughts? Predictions?

Edited by AI#1fan

• Owner

Silva will probably win, but he's losing a fan more and more each time he taunts his opponents. I'm to the point where I want to see him tap (not knocked out from some lucky punch).

This might be one of his toughest fights yet, though.

Silva will probably win, but he's losing a fan more and more each time he taunts his opponents. I'm to the point where I want to see him tap (not knocked out from some lucky punch).

This might be one of his toughest fights yet, though.

I hated Silva's antics against Demian Maia because Maia was nothing but respectful to Silva leading up to the fight and was actually trying to engage Silva (unlike Thales Leites), but I honestly wouldn't even be that upset if Silva were to simply toy with Sonnen all fight long simply because of how much [expletive] Sonnen has talked about Silva. I almost wouldn't mind if Silva were to put an absolute beating on Sonnen but never actually go in for the kill, choosing to simply beat on him for 5 rounds.

Although, as a fan of MMA I would rather see Silva just put on the dominating performance that is expected of him. If you can finish the guy in the first round, you should finish him then.

As for this being one of his toughest fights yet, I just don't see it. Yeah, Sonnen is a great wrestler, but that is literally all that Silva has to worry about. He doesn't have to think twice about Sonnen's striking or doesn't really have to worry about the possibility of him being submitted either. The only way that I can see Sonnen winning this fight is if he manages to smother Silva for 5 rounds and I just don't see it. Hendo was just as accomplished of a wrestler while having dynamite in his hands, yet Silva made quick work of him. I don't see him being able to take Silva down for 5 rounds straight without catching something on the feet or catching a knee when attempting a takedown.

Even if he is able to consistently take him down, which I don't see happening, Silva has awesome Jitz and is constantly a threat to submit you from the bottom if you aren't constantly alert. He is also very effective at getting out of dangerous situations and sweeping his opponent or throwing up a triangle with those lanky limbs of his.

I may be underestimating Sonnen (I certainly did when he fought Marquardt) but I just don't see him being able to do anything to Silva that Hendo wasn't able to do and Sonnen certainly isn't better than Franklin (although he may be a worse matchup stylistcally for Silva). I still think that Marquardt is better than Sonnen despite his loss. The only guy in the 185 pound division I can see beating Silva is Vitor Belfort though.

As for the rest of the card, I'm excited to finally see the Fitch/Alves rematch. It seems like we have been waiting forever to see this fight and it is about time it is happening. I don't necessarily like the fact that the winner of this fight will fight the winner of GSP/Kos, though. Fitch is deserving, but Alves should have to work his way up a bit more before getting a title shot considering his last fight was a shot at the WW crown. I think if he were to win that he should fight the winner of the Jake Shields/Martin Kampmann fight with the winner getting a shot at the WW champ. Oh well, still looking forward to this fight.

Hughes/Almeida should be a good one. Hughes will never be a champion again, but he is still a very good fighter and it should be a good test for Almeida in his 2nd fight at 170 pounds. He looked good against Matt Brown, but Hughes is definitely going to be a tough test for him.

Lastly, the JDS/Big Country fight should be fine as well. Like Fitch/Alves, the winner of this fight will get a title shot against the winner of Lesnar/Velasquez so there is a lot on the line. JDS has the best striking in the heavyweight division and arguably all of MMA, while Nelson is just so well rounded. I don't give Nelson much of a shot in this fight, but he seems to be at his best when nobody is giving him a chance. I like both of these fighters so I'll be happy with whoever wins the fight, but I would bet on JDS winning.

Don't care much for the Guida/dos Anjos fight, but this is an awesome card.

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize I wrote so much, haha.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

I'm going to install a whole new message board just for the UFC, and just for you, Sean. You can just create all of the topics and initiate all of the discussion, lol.

I really don't know THAT much about Sonnen. I just know that I didn't think he was going to do that good against Marquardt. Being one of the best wrestlers (or probably the best) in his weight class, I think Sonnen has a chance only if he sets the pace. Doing that against Silva seems impossible, though. I really have yet to see a fighter dictate the pace in a fight against him.

Good point about Henderson, though.

I just watched and read a few things about Sonnen's trash-talking, and now I'm backing Silva. Dude seems way too confident and cocky that he's going to topple Silva, and he NEVER shuts up. Silva could've destroyed Maia, literally, if he really wanted to. I just hope the judges don't hand the victory to Sonnen if the fight does go five AND it's somewhat close, just because they are still butt-hurt over what he did to Maia.

And I hope Nelson wins. I don't like him, and I want Brock to tear him to pieces.

I'm going to install a whole new message board just for the UFC, and just for you, Sean. You can just create all of the topics and initiate all of the discussion, lol.

I really don't know THAT much about Sonnen. I just know that I didn't think he was going to do that good against Marquardt. Being one of the best wrestlers (or probably the best) in his weight class, I think Sonnen has a chance only if he sets the pace. Doing that against Silva seems impossible, though. I really have yet to see a fighter dictate the pace in a fight against him.

As for Sonnen, he is basically on the same level as Marquardt and Maia. The three of them are basically interchangable. Maia submitted Sonnen but was knocked out by Sonnen. Marquardt knocked out Maia but was beaten handily by Sonnen. Sonnen was submitted by Maia but dominated Marquardt. Maia has great Jitz but has striking, Sonnen has great wrestling but poor striking and Marquardt is good at everything but is great at nothing. Maia and Marquardt have both fought Silva and both were easily beaten. I expect that trend to continue.

The three of them are all good fighters, but I don't see how anyone of them are going to give Silva anything that will cause him troubles. Like I said in that post, Belfort is the only guy in the Middleweight division that I can see giving Silva troubles, and I would still think that Silva is a pretty hefty favourite.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/69/l_952b1c04aa8c422cb3ed83903b63633d.gif

I never know what to expect from Silva anymore and we could just as easily see the Silva who destroyed Griffin or the Silva who played around with Maia, but I'd be scared for my life if I was Sonnen right now. It seems like he did a little too much trash talking and may have sealed his own fate.

Silva doesn't even look mad, he looks more annoyed, which I think is even scarier.

Also, Thiago Alves missed weight again, which isn't going to sit well with the UFC as it has been a continuing concern with Alves. I wonder how many more chances they are going to give him before they try and step in and make him fight at 185 as he clearly has troubles making weight at 170.

• Owner

Silva was waiting for that triangle in that fifth round. Right when Sonnen put him on his back, Silva wasn't even trying to get up, unlike that fourth.

What was up with the submission, though? He clearly tapped, and Silva just grabbed that arm again, started yanking on it. Sonnen looked like he wanted to kill Anderson for that, haha.

Are you talking about Guida? Dude broke the man's jaw.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it was Stefan Struve vs. Christian Morecraft

Morecraft completely dominated the first round and was landing heavy hammer punches. Then the second round started and Struve hit on 3 consecutive punches that shook him up, and just landed punch after punch which eventually made the ref stop the fight. First UFC fight I had prolly ever seen live...and it was crazy lol.

• Owner

Morecraft completely dominated the first round and was landing heavy hammer punches. Then the second round started and Struve hit on 3 consecutive punches that shook him up, and just landed punch after punch which eventually made the ref stop the fight. First UFC fight I had prolly ever seen live...and it was crazy lol.

Ah, yeah...I didn't see those fights. :(

I figured you were talking about Guida...because he was getting hit quite a bit, but that one punch he connected with was devastating, and it broke dos Anjos' jaw. He made him tap in the end, but it was probably more about the jaw than anything else.

I only got to see three fights...the one I mentioned, the Alves - Fitch fight..which was really disappointing, and the Silva fight.

I'm watching the replay of it on youtube and man...still can't believe how he got beat up for like 20 minutes and still found a way to win lol.

I didn't watch it as I had to work last night, but by the sounds of it, I was wrong about Sonnen yet again. I didn't think that he would be able to get Silva down and certainly didn't think that he would be able to get him down round after round. Not only is getting him down an accomplishment, but being able to keep Silva down is even more impressive. I will have to watch the fight before making any other comments, but it sounds like Sonnen proved me wrong yet again.

One thing that he needs to drastically improve upon is his submission defense though. If you are going to be a wrestler who relies on top control in the octagon, you have to be able to neutralize your opponents submission attempts and this is the second time in Sonnen's last 4 or 5 fights that he has been sub'd while having top position. Granted, both times were by great BJJ practitioners (one of which is one of the best in all of MMA in Maia) but he is definitely going to have to improve that.

Fitch did what I thought he would and smother Alves to a win while JDS dominated Nelson like I thought he would, although I expected him to KO him within the first two rounds.

On a different, but somewhat related note, the invinsible aura of the P4P kings of MMA sure is taking a hit lately. Machida is dominated by Shogun, Penn loses to Edgar, Fedor gets beaten by Werdum, Lesnar is dominated by Carwin (for the first round) and now Silva gets dominated by Sonnen. The only two who still have that aura of invisibility about them now is GSP and Jose Aldo.

EDIT: Sounds like the UFC is making Alves move up a weight class and fight at 185 due to him missing weight again.

I saw that. They randomly showed it inbetween the two main card fights. I was shocked how that guy recovered and beat his [expletive].

The Silva fight had me on my toes because I really wanted him to dominate Sonnen. I was a little dissapointed that he mentioned his ribs being bruised up and that his doctor said he shouldnt fight. Even if it is true you shouldnt use that after you win the fight.

You could tell he was going for the submission the whole fight, at first he was going for the kimura though.

Guida was the most entertaining. He was just all over the ring with that guy.