Nets will no longer be Nets in Brooklyn

BeeZee

A NetsDaily translation of the full Forbes Russia interview with Mikhail Prokhorov reveals the team plans a name change once it moves to Brooklyn, and that in fact documents seeking approval for the change have been submitted to the NBA. He didn't disclose the name.

In the NetsDaily translation of the interview, provided by a Russian-speaking fan, Prokhorov is asked "What will be the team's name after the move to Brooklyn?" His response: "I can not tell you right now, but the documents are already submitted to the NBA office. The name change will happen in 2012 season."

http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/8/7/1610658/nyet-to-nets-in-brooklyn

Wonder what he's changing it to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not the biggest fan of this move, assuming that it is a change of the actual team name and not just the "New Jersey" to "New York" or "Brooklyn." But we'll see what the new name is.

"Nets" may not be the best name out there and is subject to receive some laughs, but both "Brooklyn Nets" and "New York Nets" sound perfectly fine to me. Besides, who doesn't want to hear the N-E-T-S chant again?

One writer said it's a smart idea, moving past the 12-70 season and creating a new beginning. We've created a new beginning in plenty of other ways. New owner, new coach, new home, and only four players from Jersey's squad at the end of last season remain.