New York Red Bulls acquire Rafael Marquez!!

Dash

Mexican national team captain Rafael Márquez has officially become the New York Red Bulls' third designated player, joining Juan Pablo Ángel and Thierry Henry on what is now MLS's most star-studded team.

The defender has been a Red Bull target for several weeks now, and he was released from his contract at Barcelona on Saturday. He'll be presented at Red Bull Arena on Tuesday afternoon.

"I am excited to be joining the Red Bulls," Márquez press released. "Despite having the opportunity to fulfill my contract with Barcelona, coming to New York and playing in Major League Soccer was a chance that I could not refuse. I am completely committed to doing my very best to help the Red Bulls in their playoff push this year and compete for championships in the years to come."

New York is 8-6-3 and in second place in the Eastern Conference.

Share22 The signing was expected. The only mystery is what kind of deal the Red Bulls and Barcelona arranged in lieu of a transfer fee. Márquez was under contract until 2012, but the Spanish giants have let him go for nothing. At least officially.

At 31, Márquez still should have a few good years left. He was surplus at Barcelona, but there certainly is no shame in that. He played every minute of the World Cup for Mexico, and appeared in both defensive midfield and at central defense. He's now been capped by Mexico 94 times. How Red Bulls coach Hans Backe chooses to use Márquez certainly will be a key plot line as the rest of the season unfolds.

In an interview with Barcelona's Web site posted Monday, Márquez said,

"I have completed a cycle with Barcelona and seven years is a long time. I have won everything and now I want to play regularly and have more minutes. I talked with Pep (Guardiola, the coach) and he has other priorities and I am ambitious and do not want to sit on the bench or in the stand watching games. That is why I have left."

He also said, interestingly, that "Nothing is definite yet," regarding his next move. "We are still negotiating with two options and I hope to be able to make the best decision." No word on what that other option was.

We look forward to seeing whether Márquez demonstrates any interest in connecting with the American fan base. Most will either dislike him because he is the captain of the U.S. national team's arch rival, or they'll revile him for his assaults on Cobi Jones and Tim Howard. FanHouse didn't notice too many angry Irishmen at Thierry Henry's debut with the Red Bulls on July 22.

But Henry didn't sign with a club in Dublin. The reception for Márquez will be as interesting to watch as his performance.

Link

I know I'm a few days late on this but I didn't see this posted and saw his debut last night, and couldn't help it.

Incredible news for NY and the MLS. Its insane that the Mexican national team captain is playing here in the States, MLS is growing bigger by the moment.