12-23 Shooting

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Charles Barkley Phoenix Suns vs Seattle Supersonics Game 7

44 Points, 24 Rebounds, 1 Block, 1 Steal, 1 assist

12-20 Shooting

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

At the end of the day who had the better game 7 performance?

I thought that K.G. had the more impressive performance. But before you make assumptions, I want to say that I am far from some new school NBA fan that knows nothing about the golden era of the 1980-90's (and it's players). In short...Charles Barkley was, and still is tha man! He's one of my favorites of ALL TIME.

But here's why I thought KG had the better performance:

Now I remember that 1993 very well. Who wouldn't? Given the style of both the Sonics and Suns of that day it was a very up tempo game. Back and forth, back and forth. Neither team played well on defense and the main reason why Barkley's rebounding numbers looked so inflated is because they were. High tempo=More shot attempts. And the Suns pretty much sprinted back down the court to allow Barkley to snatch em all. Barkley also had a relatively easy game at the four position (facing Shawn Kemp).

Kevin Garnett not only faced a tougher matchup in Chris Webber, but they also had a much more mobile Vlad Divac to be concerned with. The most compelling stat is that in that '04 game the T'Wolves held the Kings to 39% shooting the whole night. The Sonics managed to shoot over 50% on the '93 game.

So on account of Barkley facing a much less talented matchup in Kemp, and a faster game, Garnett had the better performance. The T'Wolves forced Mike Bibby and the uptempo Kings to a slower, and more erratic game, and K.G. was the anchor of it all.

The Barkley performance still was amazing. The NBA still uses his footage from that game in their marketing campaigns.

Edited by crabbylion
  • Like 1

The ironic thing is that arguably wasn't even Barkley's best game of the series...he had 42/15/10/2/2 on 16-22 shooting in Game 5 of that series.

It's a very tough call as to who had the better Game 7. One thing to remember is the Kings were not the same Kings that took the Lakers to 7 games a few seasons prior. Webber played only 23 games that season and was one the decline, Bobby Jackson didn't play that post-season, etc... The Sonics were probably the better team and were top 5 in the league in both offensive and defensive rating back in 1992-1993. So, I do think that fact should be taken into consideration.

Overall, I'd say KG had the slightly more impressive game. His defense was unebelievable, cleaned the boards and he was extremely clutch.

KG is a much better player. his offense might not be as good a Charles but he is still a great player on the offensive side of the court and his defense is wayy better and i love defensive minded players. gunna have to give it to KG without any doubt at all. :rolleyes:

Edited by Abro