Vernon Davis

fly3rs18

I'm still confused as to who said he shouldn't have started the Pro Bowl. Weird.

:huh:

Vernon Davis is so good at blocking that when an AFC player missed the Pro Bowl with injury, they replaced him with an NFC guy? That's impressive. Conference switching genie.

One last time, nobody said he shouldn't be in the Pro Bowl.

You're still making zero sense. The whole point is that you are trying to say he is not a good blocker, or not even a very good blocker, which is completely wrong.

The whole part of starting the pro-bowl is in comparison to ppf, which doesn't know nearly as much as the players and coaches, who voted Davis to start.

I didn't mean to say Gates. I think he was a 3rd alternate because of an injury or something, but he had very few receptions that season, so there's only one reason he was selected, and that was because of his blocking.

They voted Davis to start because he had near 1000 yards and a record breaking amount of TD's, lol... And he was a 3rd alternated because that would make him the 6th best TE in the conference, which he most likely was. Puts him on pace to be 12th best NFL wide, which I wouldn't doubt in '08.

Translation to your last post, though... 'I am getting pwned, so I blocked you.'. Laughable.

They voted Davis to start because he had near 1000 yards and a record breaking amount of TD's, lol... And he was a 3rd alternated because that would make him the 6th best TE in the conference, which he most likely was. Puts him on pace to be 12th best NFL wide, which I wouldn't doubt in '08.

Translation to your last post, though... 'I am getting pwned, so I blocked you.'. Laughable.

:lol:

:lol:

It's funny because every time I mention blocking, he mentions penalties and drops, which I never denied.

Also, he never addresses the points of any posts, but rather just talks about ppf, which is doesn't have a good reputation, AT ALL, and mentions the penalties and drops over and over, which no one denies.

Again:

2008-2009: Coaches choice, and it wasn't because of his receptions or yardage. You do the math.

2009-2010: Started because of his statistically great season. He didn't need to block as much last season, but when he did, he was superb.

And, again, the whole stats argument makes no sense. On the offensive side of the ball, stats are a much better indicator of performance than interceptions are on defense. Interceptions can be a result of being a [expletive]ty CB and getting thrown at a lot. Getting a lot of catches on offense means that you are targeted often, and most certainly a good player. So, you're whole point of stats makes NO sense whatsoever, so you can stop comparing a TE to a CB. :lol: . You're making yourself look like a moron, and can't address any valid points, and keep comparing him to Jarius Byrd. :lol: .

You guys are more obsessed with Vernon Davis than I am. :lol: . Every chance you get, you just try and bash him. :lol: .

I should just start Tony Romo choke threads every day, or Miles Austin one-hit wonder threads.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

It's funny because every time I mention blocking, he mentions penalties and drops, which I never denied.

Every time you mention blocking, I tell you that he's not an elite blocker. And then you bring up the pro bowl, like that somehow solidifies his blocking. You argue using idiocies.

Also, he never addresses the points of any posts, but rather just talks about ppf, which is doesn't have a good reputation, AT ALL, and mentions the penalties and drops over and over, which no one denies.

What would you like me to address? You say he's teh bezt blockerz in teh universe, and I say he's not, and not really close, either. Should I address that you say he should be in the pro bowl? I already said he should have started. What else is there to talk about? The dude is not an elite blocker, commits too many penalties, and has too many drops. He's not the best TE in the league, and not extremely close to it, either.

Again:

2008-2009: Coaches choice, and it wasn't because of his receptions or yardage. You do the math.

3rd alternate = 6th best NFC TE

11th most yards

6th TD's

3rd YPR (of TE's with 30+ receptions)

#1 longest play from scrimmage

1st with two 40+ yard receptions

9th 1DR%

Shockey injured, Boss injured... Math done, makes sense. Math completed.

2009-2010: Started because of his statistically great season. He didn't need to block as much last season, but when he did, he was superb.

He made the pro bowl and gets recognition because he's Gates 2.0. He's a great wideout playing tight end. His blocking is not superb. At all.

He's more known for his blocking than his ability to catch the ball. That is what he is most known for.

At least list some everydown TE's that you think are better blockers. I think he's the best, and there was a poll on ESPN or some site that had a vote for the best blocking TE, and Vernon Davis got the most amount of votes. Now, I'm sure that some of those came from people just knowing his name now, but he is an elite blocker.

If you want to list Jason Witten and Daniel Graham, I won't argue too much about it because they are very good blocking TE's, but I do not believe they are better than Vernon Davis.

This is a year or two old, and It's a very small sample size, but it shows the value that Davis has when he's blocking:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/777/how-vernon-davis-fits-into-49ers

He had Just TurnOvers for his QB that season, a [expletive]ty O-Line, and no WR's that season.

And, again, the whole stats argument makes no sense. On the offensive side of the ball, stats are a much better indicator of performance than interceptions are on defense. Interceptions can be a result of being a [expletive]ty CB and getting thrown at a lot. Getting a lot of catches on offense means that you are targeted often, and most certainly a good player. So, you're whole point of stats makes NO sense whatsoever, so you can stop comparing a TE to a CB. :lol: . You're making yourself look like a moron, and can't address any valid points, and keep comparing him to Jarius Byrd. :lol: .

You guys are more obsessed with Vernon Davis than I am. :lol: . Every chance you get, you just try and bash him. :lol: .

I should just start Tony Romo choke threads every day, or Miles Austin one-hit wonder threads.

Hahahahahah your so mad it's hilarious.

I'm not comparing A SAFETY (not a cornerback, some football genius you are) to a TE. I was simply just stating the probowl is all stats. That is all. Yes stats are a good indicator of performance but there is no blocking stat. Some stats we do have are the drops and peanlites though, which yes are again, a good indicator of performance. I don't watch Vernon much, I can't comment on how great a blocker he is BUT I GUARANTEE he was not selected to the pro bowl because he is "a good blocker". It was all stats.

Lol @ you think I'm obsessed with Vernon Davis. I never mention him, you always mention him, including in the OP of this thread, or when you just go Vernon Davis > Jason Witten.

Go ahead start a Tony Romo choke thread or a Miles Austin one-hit wonder thread, you would just be making yourself look dumb. When was the last time the 9ers had a winning record? Who's to say Vernon isn't the one hit wonder? Okay.

He's more known for his blocking than his ability to catch the ball. That is what he is most known for.

lmao

At least list some everydown TE's that you think are better blockers. I think he's the best, and there was a poll on ESPN or some site that had a vote for the best blocking TE, and Vernon Davis got the most amount of votes. Now, I'm sure that some of those came from people just knowing his name now, but he is an elite blocker.

Oh an ESPN vote, lawlz. How many blockers do I have to list? Do they have to be starters? Soooooo many 2nd string TE's who are there strictly for blocking are much better at it than Davis is. I can just say Witten and Jeff King and already Vernon isn't elite.

• Owner

All of the Vernon Davis posts are in here now.

And if you're going to continue to discuss this, show your maturity, please. Asking nicely...something I rarely do.

Oh, and keep it all in this topic.