Vernon Davis

fly3rs18

• 4 weeks later...

From PFF on the worst Madden ratings this year:

10. Vernon Davis, TE, San Francisco (96). This rating gives some pretty good insight into the mind of Madden (the corporate entity, not the actual human). Without question, Davis was a productive tight end last year. He was also an atrocious blocker and led skill players in dropped passes (13) and penalties (12). That doesn’t add up to an elite player.

49ers fanboys: Get mad.

i've been saying the same thing about vernon for a long time now minus the blocking

He needs to improve his hands and quit getting so many damn false start penalties, but I still think he's the best blocking TE in the NFL, so once I saw the word atrocious, I knew this list was garbage, and then I saw the source, and that confirmed my feelings.

I'll also start sipping the Kevin Kolb kool-aid, and say that he will have a very productive season.

He needs to improve his hands and quit getting so many damn false start penalties, but I still think he's the best blocking TE in the NFL, so once I saw the word atrocious, I knew this list was garbage, and then I saw the source, and that confirmed my feelings.

I'll also start sipping the Kevin Kolb kool-aid, and say that he will have a very productive season.

Crap, Kolb is gonna suck now.

Crap, Kolb is gonna suck now.

No, it means he will be great. I've only really hyped up a few players being Vernon Davis(Tied All-Time TE single season TD record last year), Jerod Mayo(DROTY), Brandon Merriweather(A top safety), and Alex Smith,

Alex Smith is the only one that hasn't panned out so far, but that will change this season.

ProFootballFocus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> You

No, it means he will be great. I've only really hyped up a few players being Vernon Davis(Tied All-Time TE single season TD record last year), Jerod Mayo(DROTY), Brandon Merriweather(A top safety), and Alex Smith,

Alex Smith is the only one that hasn't panned out so far, but that will change this season.

Haha, just messin with ya ECN.

I'd be more worried if Skip Bayless said it.

ProFootballFocus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> You

NFL coaches/players>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ProFootballFocus+you^30

There's a reason he started the pro-bowl last year, and it wasn't due to popularity with football fans. The coaches and players gave him the largest percentage of votes for any TE, so it's alright, think what you want, and continue to be wrong. :lol: .

NFL coaches/players>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ProFootballFocus+you^30

There's a reason he started the pro-bowl last year, and it wasn't due to popularity with football fans. The coaches and players gave him the largest percentage of votes for any TE, so it's alright, think what you want, and continue to be wrong. :lol: .

Pro bowl = stat whores, Jarius Byrd was a pro bowler

When fans vote, it's usually based mostly upon stats and well known players, but when the coaches and players make up 2/3 of the vote, and a player is starting, that means a lot.

I made it clear that he was a starter, and not just a pro-bowl selection.

Fish is right, the pro bowl is based a ton off of stats, and tons of players make it that don't deserve to... That said...

Who said that Vernon Davis didn't deserve to go to the Pro Bowl last year? All the PFF article was saying is that he isn't a 96 overall as his Madden rating suggests, as he had a ton of drops and penalties, and isn't a good blocker. His blocking rating is too high.

You mad that a website who does this [expletive] for a living is telling you that you're wrong? Get off Vernon's hairy satchel.

Fish is right, the pro bowl is based a ton off of stats, and tons of players make it that don't deserve to... That said...

Who said that Vernon Davis didn't deserve to go to the Pro Bowl last year? All the PFF article was saying is that he isn't a 96 overall as his Madden rating suggests, as he had a ton of drops and penalties, and isn't a good blocker. His blocking rating is too high.

You mad that a website who does this [expletive] for a living is telling you that you're wrong? Get off Vernon's hairy satchel.

I never disagreed with ANYTHING except the comment about blocking.The penalties and drops are irrelevant to blocking, so you're not making any sense there. He is the best blocking TE in the NFL.

And, no, I am not mad. Are you mad that the coaches and players know ten times more than PFF and voted him in as a starter?

And, no, I am not mad. Are you mad that the coaches and players know ten times more than PFF and voted him in as a starter?

No, RetardMc[expletive]gotDicks. I just said he deserved the pro bowl. Why would that make me mad? You are the one upset that people don't agree with you... lulz.

I never disagreed with ANYTHING except the comment about blocking.The penalties and drops are irrelevant to blocking, so you're not making any sense there. He is the best blocking TE in the NFL.

Delirium.

No, RetardMc[expletive]gotDicks. I just said he deserved the pro bowl. Why would that make me mad? You are the one upset that people don't agree with you... lulz.

Delirium.

No, you're just mad that you tried to say that I said something that I didn't.

Being voted in as a starter is different than just being selected to the team, and players and coaches are much smarter than PFF, which has always been bogus.

I'll take the opinion of coaches and players over PFF, which has always been poorly regarded, and that has nothing to do with Vernon Davis. Many of their opinions are delirious.

If they want to lower his rating because of penalties and drops, that is completely fine, but not because of blocking like you have suggested multiple times already.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

ECN, Jarius Byrd was a coaches/players decision as well. If you watch tape on him you'd no he's no where close to one of the best safeties in the game. The coaches selected Vernon on stats, that is all. It's not like they watched tape on all TE's in the NFC and went oh, Vernon is def the best. Stats stats stats, that is all.

ECN, Jarius Byrd was a coaches/players decision as well. If you watch tape on him you'd no he's no where close to one of the best safeties in the game. The coaches selected Vernon on stats, that is all. It's not like they watched tape on all TE's in the NFC and went oh, Vernon is def the best. Stats stats stats, that is all.

I don't think he got in just on stats, but obviously that is what a lot of it was based upon. However, he earned his respect around the league by performing at an elite level. And, I don't disagree about Jarius Byrd whatsoever, so you don't need to keep mentioning him. I know your point is that stats is what got him in, which I agree with, but trying to apply that to Vernon Davis getting in is different, especially at the position. Interceptions and TD's as stats are completely different.

And, you're not understanding the "coaches" decision part. Jarius Byrd didn't start the pro-bowl. He was behind Ed Reed. Vernon Davis started. Players and coaches make up 2/3 of the vote, so there's a reason Vernon Davis started and Jarius Byrd did not. There's a BIG difference in their selections.

Also, at cry baby that left the otr fantasy football league because he was butt-hurt:

I'm not changing the subject. You brought up Vernon Davis, and only Vernon Davis in this thread for the sole reason of Madden ratings, and you seem to deny that players and coaches know more than a site that is known as not a very reputable site.

And, cool, you guys won a Super Bowl. Good for you! Too bad you won't be getting a taste of one for the next decade. I would love to place a bet with you that if the Patriots make it further than the Giants this year that you get IP banned from this site. That would be great!

Edited by EastCoastNiner

I'm not changing the subject. You brought up Vernon Davis, and only Vernon Davis in this thread for the sole reason of Madden ratings, and you seem to deny that players and coaches know more than a site that is known as not a very reputable site.

PFF isn't reputable? That's like telling me Sabrmetrics are an irresponsible tool for baseball, lol. You are a know-nothing, stop trying to act like you're some football expert.

And, cool, you guys won a Super Bowl. Good for you! Too bad you won't be getting a taste of one for the next decade. I would love to place a bet with you that if the Patriots make it further than the Giants this year that you get IP banned from this site. That would be great!

I'm not the one who said anything about the Superbowl, but... why don't you pick the 9ers, [expletive]? They have the immortal Vernon Davis :lol:

It's fact that you are a homer and fact that you overrate Vernon Davis. He isn't a great blocker, he drops too many balls, he commits too many penalties. Why u so mad over it? Accept facts as a part of life.

PFF isn't reputable? That's like telling me Sabrmetrics are an irresponsible tool for baseball, lol. You are a know-nothing, stop trying to act like you're some football expert.

I'm not the one who said anything about the Superbowl, but... why don't you pick the 9ers, [expletive]? They have the immortal Vernon Davis :lol:

It's fact that you are a homer and fact that you overrate Vernon Davis. He isn't a great blocker, he drops too many balls, he commits too many penalties. Why u so mad over it? Accept facts as a part of life.

It's the same thing as sabermetrics. There are so many variables that make it hard to compare. Again, you seem the ignore the fact that he wouldn't have started the pro-bowl without the votes from the players and coaches who know more about the game the people at pff who want to pump up their articles.

I meant to refer to Guru about the Super Bowl, and not you, so my bad on that.

I don't over-rate him, either. I don't know how you can over-rated a player that set the record for TD's by a TE with a [expletive]ty o-line and a QB change 5 1/2 games into the season. He has great speed and incredible strength. I never denied he gets too many penalties or or drops too many balls. If they want to lower his rating to a 90 because of that, then go ahead because that is understandable. However, to want to lower his rating is absurd.

He wasn't originally selected to the pro-bowl in 08-09, but after and injury to Antonio Gates, he was placed on the team. And, that sure as hell wasn't because of stats. It was for one reason, and one reason only, and that was blocking.

I'm done responding the posts about Vernon Davis, but don't worry, I'll bump this at the end of the season when he's starting in the pro-bowl again.

It's the same thing as sabermetrics. There are so many variables that make it hard to compare. Again, you seem the ignore the fact that he wouldn't have started the pro-bowl without the votes from the players and coaches who know more about the game the people at pff who want to pump up their articles.

I'm still confused as to who said he shouldn't have started the Pro Bowl. Weird.

I never denied he gets too many penalties or or drops too many balls. If they want to lower his rating to a 90 because of that, then go ahead because that is understandable.
However, to want to lower his rating is absurd

:huh:

He wasn't originally selected to the pro-bowl in 08-09, but after and injury to Antonio Gates, he was placed on the team. And, that sure as hell wasn't because of stats. It was for one reason, and one reason only, and that was blocking.

Vernon Davis is so good at blocking that when an AFC player missed the Pro Bowl with injury, they replaced him with an NFC guy? That's impressive. Conference switching genie.

I'm done responding the posts about Vernon Davis, but don't worry, I'll bump this at the end of the season when he's starting in the pro-bowl again.

One last time, nobody said he shouldn't be in the Pro Bowl.