Building around Turner

if it was me, i would wait a couple of seasons before making any crazy moves. but if Turner was a garunteed superstar, i would look accquire a bigman (such as STAT) and then surround him with shooters/defensive players. i don't really watch college ball, but from what i hear he's not an exceptional jumpshooter, so it makes sense to put shooters around him and keep the defense honest. i would probably keep Iggy however, unless a deal that was too good to refuse came around, and i would definately keep Jrue.

Well, first thing is first, they need to see how well Turner will play in the league and see what kind of talent fits best around him.

The way I see building a franchise, it's all about solidifying positions. If Turner is the real deal, then they have now solidified one of their wings, and then they can look to continue building from there.

Putting obvious things aside, Brand's contract must go. They need to do everything they can this year to get rid of him. That probably means giving him extra playing time and raising his value, then selling him high.

Looking at the rest of this roster, other than Turner, I don't see any solid keepers, and that's including Iguodala. I see Speights, Williams, Young, and Holiday as potential keepers, but nothing is certain. Over the next year or two, they should look to develop them and see which players should remain in their long-term plans.

As their large contracts expire in Kapono, Nocioni, and the rest of their role players, they will have plenty of flexibility to pick up talent through free agency.

With all of this in mind, I believe the number one goal for the next two years is to find a definitive second option for Turner. If this team has championship aspirations for the long-term, I don't see Iguodala ideally fitting that role. Perhaps packaging him and other players to find the ideal player is best. They can also look through free agency as well and keep Iggy as a third option.

Once they found that player, they need to look to gain a pure point guard, defensive minded role players, and a good bench. In 2011 free agency, Shane Battier, Tayshaun Prince, Kenyon Martin, Andrei Kirilenko, and Kendrick Perkins will all be unrestricted free agents.

In 2012, it appears the Sixers will have plenty of money to spend, and even more room if they can get rid of Brand's contract. Players like Chauncey Billups, Kirk Hinrich, Andray Blatche, Goran Dragic, and Leandro Barbosa I believe will be available.

Looking a few years ahead, if the Sixers can gain a line up like:

Goran Dragic

Evan Turner

Tayshaun Prince

(second option: Pau Gasol-type)

Kendrick Perkins

and a bench of something like..

Lou Williams

Leandro Barbosa

Kenyon Martin

Marresse Speights

etc.

That will be a good direction into becoming a real contender IMO.

Anyway, this is just me spilling thoughts on a direction this franchise would take if I were managing this team. I'm not saying they absolutely have to get rid of Iggy to become better or anything like that.

• Like 2

I'd keep Jrue Holiday for sure because he's a good PG already. When he started for the Sixers he was putting up some nice numbers. I'd obviously keep Iguodala who is the leader of the Sixers and also Turner who is going to become a great player. I'd try to trade Green and Kapono for someone better and if Brand doesn't become a 20/10 guy like he used to be, I'll trade him as well.

Trade Turner+Brand for Melo.

Lol jk, I would trade everything except him and Holiday, that means I package whatever attractive assets I have in hopes of dumping the bad contracts. I am not a believer in Speights at all, I get rid of him asap.

I don't know much about Turner but from what I take he will be an all-star, will he be a superstar though? If not they are going to need to add another top 5 pick alongside him or another all-star some way. This is why you clean house now, don't go for the playoffs go for the lotto. Take the same route with Turner the Thunder did with Durant.

Clean house, have Holiday and Turner grow together and over the next 2-3 years add lottos and slowly progress to the playoffs, it will be painfull for a bit like it was in Seattle/OKC, but in the end it will be worth it.

I don't know what type of style they are going to play if Turner is their central piece, but Jrue can fit in with any style so he stays. If it is fast-paced they want to play then Iggy, Speights, Kapono, Young, Meeks and Willie Green and Lou stays. If it's more of a half-court offense, which is more likely with Doug Collins, then Nocioni,Hawes and maybe Kapono stays (because a shooter is required in almost every type of offense) and everyone else goes.

I'd keep Jrue Holiday for sure because he's a good PG already. When he started for the Sixers he was putting up some nice numbers. I'd obviously keep Iguodala who is the leader of the Sixers and also Turner who is going to become a great player. I'd try to trade Green and Kapono for someone better and if Brand doesn't become a 20/10 guy like he used to be, I'll trade him as well.

Iggy will most likely be shopped around now that Turner has been added and they play similarly already. Holliday has the potential to be a good point guard, but he isn't great yet. Keep him with Turner to start building a young core group. There is literally a 0% chance Brand becomes a 20/10 guy... so he will most likely be gone. The Sixers are trying hard to get rid of him if you didn't know that.

• Owner

I wouldn't say Turner and Iggy are that similar. Iggy can adjust and play above the rim. Turner is grounded a bit more, looks like a young Brandon Roy more than he does Iguodala.

Iguodala should become a primary slasher, while Turner can handle the ball more than Andre, shoot more jumpers (mid-range) and look to lock up talented two-guards, if his defensive talents translate to the pros.

An Iguodala-Turner combo would be tough to play against. Both are smart and exceptional defensive players (again, if Turner's defense looks as good as a pro), and both may be able to drop 20-25 points on any given night.

Not a contender, of course, but that Sixers team can make the playoffs in the East, if Turner shows he can play ball and possibly win, or touch, the ROY award.

I'm a believer that it will take time for Turner to be the 20ppg he's capable of being.

I don't think he will be a franchise like Brandon Roy is... I think he's a Caron Butler type of player. He's one of the pieces instead of THE piece.

Keep Jrue, trade Iggy for a big, and they might have something going.