Pitcher or quarterback?

Real Deal

QB because a pitcher can sometimes be bailed out by great defense and bad hitting while a QB is being constantly forced into split second decision making and if he makes the wrong one it could result in points for the other team.

• Owner

QB because a pitcher can sometimes be bailed out by great defense and bad hitting while a QB is being constantly forced into split second decision making and if he makes the wrong one it could result in points for the other team.

One bad pitch could bring a home run. A bad throw is less likely to result in a touchdown. It's hard for me to look at it that way.

Bad offense in football can be bailed out by great defense and poor offense by the opponent, also.

Pitcher for me. a bad pircher can single handedly ruin a team. In football you can overcome a poor QB by running the ball

Good luck running the ball every play when the defense knows it's coming.

I think a good QB is more important. A pitcher could give up 6 ER through 6 innings and still have a good enough offensive output to win the game, but a QB can't throw 4 interceptions and still win.

I think a good QB is more important. A pitcher could give up 6 ER through 6 innings and still have a good enough offensive output to win the game, but a QB can't throw 4 interceptions and still win.

Worked for the Jets and the 2000 Ravens.

A QB's poor play can be made up by having a good offensive line, reliable receivers, and a decent running game. With a pitcher, they are alone in the outcome of how the ball is hit. Outfielders and basemen can't assist the outcome of the pitch, that responsibility lies solely on the pitcher's shoulders.

Quarterback. "Pitcher" is too vague of a term, since A. the team plays 162 games a season and B. there are 12-13 pitchers on a roster. One bad pitch is not going to ruin a team, and neither is one bad pitcher to be honest. With an NFL quarterback, different story.

I agree. QB more important. If the pitcher gives up runs he can be replaced and the offense can score more than he has given up. not really the same thing for a QB.

Edited by ChosenOne

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d8031b0cc

The 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs proved how irrelevant a QB can be.

• 2 months later...

Well, if you're talking about one game then an argument for a pitcher can be made, but if you're talking about overall record during a season than it's a QB by an absolute mile.

Also, way to find two instances from the past ten years, Fish. It can happen, but the odds of winning without a good QB are slim to none unless you have a GREAT defense.

Well, if you're talking about one game then an argument for a pitcher can be made, but if you're talking about overall record during a season than it's a QB by an absolute mile.

Also, way to find two instances from the past ten years, Fish. It can happen, but the odds of winning without a good QB are slim to none unless you have a GREAT defense.

2 of the last 10 super bowls were won by sucky QB's thats 20% I don't see how you can call it happening 20% of the time an oddity.

QB is tougher to play, and probably the most difficult position in sports, but pitcher has the bigger impact.

A pitcher can possibly be the only player that defends by striking a batter out, so therefor the pitcher doesn't always need to rely on teammates. There are times when the outfield is needed, but a perfect pitcher always outweighs a perfect outfield. For instance, if you have a pitcher that is so good he strikes batters out 100% of the time, there is no need for an outfield. The pitcher can be the whole defense by himself.

For a QB, throwing the ball is just half the battle for a gain in yardage. The receiver has to catch it and advance the ball. There is also the option where the team chooses a play for the running back, where the QB is only relied on to hand the football to him.

So while a pitcher can be the whole defense in certain possessions, it is not possible for a QB to be the whole offense at any point in the game. Even if he rushes the ball, he is relying on the linemen to create his path.

Edited by Poe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d8031b0cc

The 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs proved how irrelevant a QB can be.

Considering the Ravens got 3102 yards and 20 TDs out of their QBs and only 9 rushing touchdowns, I'm not sure that that argument is really relevant. Same deal with the Bucs. 3665 passing yards, 23 passing TDs, while they ran for about 1600 yards on only 3.8 yards a tote, and only scored 6 times. Maybe the stats don't say everything, but it sure looks to me that the quarterbacks carried their teams.

As for the QB vs. pitcher question, I believe that, looking at the season as a whole, the QB's impact is larger. A poor season by your QB, and your season is down the toilet unless you have a great ground game, a terrific defense, and a willingness to throw anyway despite the poor performance by your QB, so as not to become one dimensional. A poor season by 1 pitcher wouldn't be felt as much for a baseball team since they usually carry 12 or 13 pitchers. While the team CAN bench their quarterback, that means that their offense has to change to fit their new QB, as you can't just tread new guys in there without adjustments, like you can in baseball.

• 3 weeks later...