Sources: Melo prefers Houston to New York

Dash

Denver Nuggets executive Josh Kroenke met with Carmelo Anthony(notes) in Baltimore over the weekend and restarted the process of selling the disgruntled star on signing a contract extension, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

No resolutions were reached, sources said, but Kroenke, the owner’s son, has undoubtedly emerged as a far more powerful voice in the franchise. His burden is unmistakable now: As a 30-year-old on the cusp of taking over majority ownership of the Nuggets, he must sell the All-Star forward on staying the course with the Nuggets.

The Nuggets are close to hiring a new general manager – with former Phoenix Suns executive David Griffin the frontrunner – but Kroenke and adviser Bret Bearup will have the most significant say in basketball matters.

Anthony has hesitated to sign a three-year, $65 million extension and expressed intrigue with opting out of his contract next summer to become a free agent. Despite significant speculation the New York Knicks are the team that Anthony would most likely want to join, two sources close to him insisted the Knicks have been overstated as an object of his desire. Privately, Anthony has expressed more enthusiasm over joining the Houston Rockets than the Knicks, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuJTAOMNcKewlle1IUn2Eaq8vLYF?slug=aw-anthonykroenke082410

[expletive] just got real.

Edited by Dash

^But what would Orlando be left with after a trade with Denver? Melo has a lot of say on where he goes but he's not in full control.

We have the young players and picks that should leave us with enough pieces to contend for a championship with Melo. Honestly though the reason I think why Melo wants to play here is Daryl Morey, he knows he can surround him with talent and his performance at the trade deadline proved just that.

• Owner

I think the dream dissolves if Yao Ming doesn't return to full health. If he doesn't, and Melo still decides to go to Houston (and assuming the Nuggets actually trade him out West, which is dumb on their part), he would be teaming up with...Aaron Brooks? A scoring point who is reluctant to pass. Kevin Martin? He'll probably be included in the trade, as Denver is looking for a two-guard to replace Smith. Luis Scola and Chase Budinger?

I don't see it happening, really.

Don't Wojnarowski hate the Knicks? Anybody can claim sources it's not difficult and 99% of the time it turns out to be a fabrication. As fun as trade rumours can be I'd wait till something official, or a credible source is quoted, before getting my hopes up.

Woj is rated as the second highly trusted source after Marc Stein on Hoopshype... he knows his stuff.

That said, I'm with Real on this one... I don't see him going to the Rockets unless Yao can regain his pre-injury form. And even so, it's still a long shot. And we don't want Martin and scrubs for him. Thinking about it makes me sick.

Woj is rated as the second highly trusted source after Marc Stein on Hoopshype... he knows his stuff.

That said, I'm with Real on this one... I don't see him going to the Rockets unless Yao can regain his pre-injury form. And even so, it's still a long shot. And we don't want Martin and scrubs for him. Thinking about it makes me sick.

Would you prefer Danilo, Chandler and picks for a few years later over Martin and players like Jermaine Taylor and Chuck Hayes?

^Honestly, I prefer Danilo over Kevin Martin... Danilo is younger and in my opinion can be a franchise player if he has the right mind, not be just content with being a 20ppg player.

That said, it's still taking a risk... If risk is the route we take, I would want the Nuggets to bank on Derrick Favors.

I think the dream dissolves if Yao Ming doesn't return to full health. If he doesn't, and Melo still decides to go to Houston (and assuming the Nuggets actually trade him out West, which is dumb on their part), he would be teaming up with...Aaron Brooks? A scoring point who is reluctant to pass. Kevin Martin? He'll probably be included in the trade, as Denver is looking for a two-guard to replace Smith. Luis Scola and Chase Budinger?

How can you not? The Rockets have plenty of assets and contracts, they could offer plenty.

We also have Morey, he pulls strings.

I agree with you on Yao, it all depends on his health but the reports this summer have been optimistic.

I'm willing to bet that we trade Brooks before Martin, Kevin just seems to be the perfect compliment next to Yao and Melo.

I agree with you on Yao, it all depends on his health but the reports this summer have been optimistic.

I'm willing to bet that we trade Brooks before Martin, Kevin just seems to be the perfect compliment next to Yao and Melo.

Was thinking the same thing, especially with us resigning Lowry this off season.

Edited by ChosenOne

Was thinking the same thing, especially with us resigning Lowry this off season.

Yeah but the probably would be, who will be our backup point guard? There is no way Ish Smith can play big minutes, I've heard that Lee can play some point guard but not sure if that is a good fit for him.

Yeah but the probably would be, who will be our backup point guard? There is no way Ish Smith can play big minutes, I've heard that Lee can play some point guard but not sure if that is a good fit for him.

lol we always could say eff it and give the ball to Melo or KMart to bring up, but then again If we manage to get Melo I am sure we would be able to get a PG via FA or trade as a back up or even a starter.

lol we always could say eff it and give the ball to Melo or KMart to bring up, but then again If we manage to get Melo I am sure we would be able to get a PG via FA or trade as a back up or even a starter.

True, we have some decent trade exceptions that could net us a solid backup from a team looking for cap relief.

Kevin just seems to be the perfect compliment next to Yao and Melo.

Ehh...I don't know about a Martin/Melo pair. If this was T-Mac of '05-'07, then you might be right. But two guys that love to have the ball in their hands and are neither impressive playmakers is a recepie for disaster. Not to mention Yao isn't exactly Chris Webber or Bill Walton passing the ball. That's not even mentioning the biggest issue; Yao's foot.

As for Melo preferring Houston, I'm inclined to paraphrase what CP3 said about possibly being traded to the Blazers awhile back...If you demand a trade and a certain team makes an offer, why would Melo choose a team that would require much of what makes them a pretty damn good team already be traded away? When he could be an unrestricted FA in just a year.

"I received a text from one agent several days ago that said “Carmelo Anthony has more interest in playing for the Sioux Falls Skyforce than he does in playing for Houston, who could not even pay him."

Source

Came from a chat on Hoops World, see how easy it is to change where the guy's going. The only person worth listening to is LaLa and she said NY.

Ehh...I don't know about a Martin/Melo pair. If this was T-Mac of '05-'07, then you might be right. But two guys that love to have the ball in their hands and are neither impressive playmakers is a recepie for disaster. Not to mention Yao isn't exactly Chris Webber or Bill Walton passing the ball. That's not even mentioning the biggest issue; Yao's foot.

As for Melo preferring Houston, I'm inclined to paraphrase what CP3 said about possibly being traded to the Blazers awhile back...If you demand a trade and a certain team makes an offer, why would Melo choose a team that would require much of what makes them a pretty damn good team already be traded away? When he could be an unrestricted FA in just a year.

I would agree with you as I don't believe that a big three of players that need the ball in their hands to be efficient will work (speaking from experience with when Ron was here), but ever since coming to Houston, Martin has needed the ball less and less and became a more productive player while doing it. Its Adelman's system at its finest. Kevin is not only the perfect fit for the team but he fits in the system beautifully.

I'm not saying that I'm positive that it will work because you are right, there are uncertainties with Yao and whether or not Melo can fit into a complex system could make this another Houston star duo failure.

We may trade a bulk of our depth but we're still a strong team and while we won't win the championship this year, Melo knows that Morey will be able to surround him with the talent he needs. Something to consider: most of Morey's recent trades have been with multiple teams so that he can keep an extra asset or two, maybe the same thing can apply with a Melo trade. Also if the Knicks are stuck in the bottom 10 of the NBA standings then that could mean Houston may get to keep a core player. Too many factors at play here but I'm confident that Morey makes the right move.

Edited by Dash

• 9 months later...